Rams & Chiefs Offensive Lines

Jerome007

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yesterday was another great example of why you don’t pay guys like LeVeon Bell and Shady McCoy ridiculous money.

The two runners with unbelievably good games yesterday:

CJ Anderson - cut from another team this season and consistent backup player.

Damien Williams - cut from another team this year and consistent backup player.

if your o-line can block, the running back is almost irrelevant.

It's not so much that RB doesn't matter; it's that scheme fit trumps talent IMO

Watching these playoffs has led me to this approach: 1. I'm doing whatever possible to lend Moorse or Paradis at center. 2. I'm going after Saffold at guard, if I can't land him I'm willing to give up a couple mid round picks for Oselme. 3. I'm going hard after RT Darryl Williams. Yes, I am buying an offensive line. This pretty much allows best Dlineman available at 9 then start picking those skill position guys! We can still even look for mis level fits in free agency at other positions as well.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Wade the ageless wonder dialed up an effective game plan...........

Has a coordinator ever made it in to the Hall of Fame?  Wade deserves it.  His defenses have been dominant for more than three decades.

Fun fact: he's been the DC for 25% of the teams in the league.  

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is 100% the right move. Don't rely on rookies. The Chiefs and Rams have veteran offensive lines and good coaching.

Agreed

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Has a coordinator ever made it in to the Hall of Fame?  Wade deserves it.  His defenses have been dominant for more than three decades.

Dick LeBeau was the first just a few short years ago I believe 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

As many of us have said: the Bills need a 2017 Rams type offseason.

Add 3 starters on the OL 

Add a whole new top-3 WR group

Add 2 new TEs

Let your rookie QB immerse himself in the playbook for an entire offseason 

Amen. I was absolutely stunned at how the Rams pushed the Dallas D around yesterday. McVay clearly outcoached Garrett. But the holes opened by the Rams OL were huge and consistent. There's no way I thought the Rams would ground out 273 on that defense. That's what we need a little bit more of here. I can't wait to see what we do in the off-season.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When I saw both of their offensive lines not being pushed back at the point of attack on run plays....I was jealous.  I’m sure Shady was extremely envious.

I like how you pretend to know what point of attack means.

Cowboys, Eagles, Saints are top 3 in oline pay. Chargers #7, Rams #13, Chiefs #14. Bills # 32. According to spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

To me, we need to build up our oline before shiny new toys. Spend the cash there, hopefully smart spending, but spend it there. CJ Anderson showed that last night. CJ Anderson, not Shady and his $. Even Damien Williams looked good with KC's oline.

Shady would have done better with an improved oline, but so would have any other decent back at a lesser contract.

Edited by Dopey

35 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

regardless of what you read on TBD; defense wins Super Bowl Tings. Even if you have an Arena League Offense you still have to stop your opponent and both the Rams and especially the Chiefs played great defense!

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Colts have a good line too. Kept Luck upright for most of the game. His recievers couldn’t get open. 

They're  really good. Other than Castonzo, they are all on rookie contracts. They will be well paid in the next couple of years. Can the Colts afford to keep them?

Just now, vorpma said:

regardless of what you read on TBD; defense wins Super Bowl Tings. Even if you have an Arena League Offense you still have to stop your opponent and both the Rams and especially the Chiefs played great defense!

Sorry Super Bowl Rings

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is 100% the right move. Don't rely on rookies. The Chiefs and Rams have veteran offensive lines and good coaching.

While I think I'm quite clear the OLine matters a LOT or I would not have started this thread, it's like for any other positions: all 32 teams are vying for top guys. They are not lined up in a shelf somewhere just ready to be signed. Some teams are already settled in that area, some have no cap space, etc. So in that sense the Bills are poised to get some, as Beane as publicly said it is the priority this offseason, and finally the Bills have cap space to play with. But for all his good intentions, it could happen that Beane doesn't sign much big names on the OLine nor draft anyone good. They have to be available and sign here instead of with another team! Hopefully, he can solve this issue as what a difference it would make! 

I've said this in another thread but Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (RG) of the Chiefs could be available for a trade. He has missed close to 10 games with a broken leg. He could have played yesterday but he didn't. He's paid 8M per season and obviously his much cheaper replacement has been doing the job. He'd be much closer to home playing with the Bills and has so many side projects that it could matter.

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Cowboys, Eagles, Saints are top 3 in oline pay. Chargers #7, Rams #13, Chiefs #14. Bills # 32. According to spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

To me, we need to build up our oline before shiny new toys. Spend the cash there, hopefully smart spending, but spend it there. CJ Anderson showed that last night. CJ Anderson, not Shady and his $. Even Damien Williams looked good with KC's oline.

Shady would have done better with an improved oline, but so would have any other decent back at a lesser contract.

We definitely need to help the talent up front but those teams all have good qb play and more weapons all around. We always do the “if Mahomes was here” analogy but there’s some truth to “if our line was in kc they probably wouldn’t be 32” also. 

Our whole offense needs a talent infusion. Below average blockers for below average playmakers being led by a rookie qb was a clear path to a bad unit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

We definitely need to help the talent up front but those teams all have good qb play and more weapons all around. We always do the “if Mahomes was here” analogy but there’s some truth to “if our line was in kc they probably wouldn’t be 32” also. 

Our whole offense needs a talent infusion. Below average blockers for below average playmakers being led by a rookie qb was a clear path to a bad unit.

That rookie QB is quite good. And Shady maybe is near as good as he was, we don't know, we couldn't tell! So of course the Bills need better players across the board, especially on offense. But a better OLine makes everyone look better and gives Daboll more plays too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Wait I thought you need to find  or draft elite  guys like Jason Peters and then pay them.  At least according to our football experts .  Interesting that a number of teams advancing in playoffs are not following this.

Actually Jason Peters was undrafted. The key is finding quality players, nurturing them, allow them time to hone their craft, and signing them long term for continuity of the squad.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wasn't just the OLines. They both dominated with their D line too. The key for the Rams was actually restricting Zeke to less then 3 yards a rush. 

I'm not disagreeing with your point of view so much as adding to it. It is unquestionable that Josh Allen is our most valuable asset. And it is without question that this organization expended a lot of resources to acquire him. The best way to get a return from this costly player is to make it a priority to put him in a position to succeed. In my opinion the priority should be the OL and getting a hard charging between the tackles runner. The Bills can dramatically upgrade the receiving unit by getting good #2 receivers and a TE from free agency. In other words you address a priority by addressing a priority.