Rams & Chiefs Offensive Lines

Jerome007

10 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

That rookie QB is quite good. And Shady maybe is near as good as he was, we don't know, we couldn't tell! So of course the Bills need better players across the board, especially on offense. But a better OLine makes everyone look better and gives Daboll more plays too. 

I didn’t disagree largely.

but JA is still a rookie and a single RB who i do think is aging doesn’t really refute my point.

I think that our pass catchers were a gap between us and any other unit as far as quality while I think that the line was just normal bad. And RB was at best middle of the pack.

As much as anything though I was pointing out that those other lines probably don’t look GREAT with this offense. Outside of JA running and fister down the stretch we didn’t have much that dictated to the other team and that’s going to get everyone (line included) beat up.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wait, wait!  I thought the Colts and Cowboys have drafted the best O-lines?

Both got wrecked yesterday.  

No kidding the Chiefs and Rams won yesterday, what a surprise. 2 of the top 4 teams in the league all season won yesterday, what a shocker.

I stand by my statement, and would take either OL over what Buffalo has.

Dallas - divisional title and a playoff win

Colts - helped salvage the career of a very god QB and had a playoff win

Bills - nearly ruined their rookie QB with an elbow injury about 6 games into his rookie season, borderline hall of fame player couldn't get 4 ypc, 6-10 no playoffs sitting at home, no division title, no playoff wins.

I don't understand how you are against investing in OL.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Funny how an undisputed elite QB like Andrew Luck can struggle so badly when the protection breaks down. 

Guess you need more than a QB, because its also funny how undisputed football God Aaron Rogers has gone 6-9-1 and 7-9 the past 2 seasons, got a coach fired and missed the playoffs two years in a row

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You just need to find the right guys. Some of those guys are journeymen, second round picks, 7th rounders etc. the lone top ten player is Eric Fisher and he's probably the worst of the bunch. Also the Chiefs have a good amount of functional depth and overcame a few injuries this year. 

Find the right guys to gel for you. You don't have to use premium assets like top ten picks. And find functional depth. That has to be mission numero uno this off season. 

I understand your point and agree, but second round picks are still high picks.

It is all a system of interdependent parts.  By that I don’t mean “scheme” necessarily.  

A good OL gives receivers a bit more time to get open and the QB enough room and time to read the defense and use proper mechanics when throwing.  A good OL also can allow for run plays to put you in good down and distance situations.  How many offensive drives were the Bills in 2nd and 8+ yards?  You are way behind the 8 ball in those situations.

Good receivers help help the OL and QB look good by getting open quickly.  This puts less pressure on the OL and allows the QB to make quick decisions and throw the ball before pressure gets near him.  Good receivers allow more easy routine plays by getting separation, making the routine catches and, occasionally making the great catch.  

Further, a good OL and good receivers present a threat to the defense that makes getting the run game going much easier.

The 2018 Bills offense was frequently in bad down and distance situations, had receivers who could not get open regularly and often didn’t make the routine catches, let alone the occasional special play.

The OL and receivers are both important - so is the run game.  Watching the Patriots, it is rarely that they dominate because they have such superior talent on the OL, in the receiving group or at RB - it is their balance and ability to be good, not necessarily great, at everything that constantly keeps defenses off balance.

20 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand your point and agree, but second round picks are still high picks.

I think late first, second and third rounds is where you get your value picking up offensive lineman. The majority of the good ones fall in that range. And I am okay with trading down or using 2nd, 3rd round picks. I am completely against using a top ten pick, unless they are a generational talent like Quentin Nelson. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think late first, second and third rounds is where you get your value picking up offensive lineman. The majority of the good ones fall in that range. And I am okay with trading down or using 2nd, 3rd round picks. I am completely against using a top ten pick, unless they are a generational talent like Quentin Nelson. 

We aren’t really disagreeing, but I don’t think that there should be hard rules- never draft position X high.  I think you have to look at who is available at all positions in the top 10 in any draft and compare them on their merits, your needs, relative value of positions, depth in the draft at positions, etc.  I’m not arguing that all positions are equally important, but for sure OLT is still a premium position (IMHO).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

As many of us have said: the Bills need a 2017 Rams type offseason.

Add 3 starters on the OL 

Add a whole new top-3 WR group

Add 2 new TEs

Let your rookie QB immerse himself in the playbook for an entire offseason 

Yes sir. Only difference is we don’t have a Sean Mcvay unfortunately 

3 hours ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I've heard good things about that Rams OL coach... oh wait, the Bills fired him 2 years ago. Damn.

Well, I believe the Chiefs and Rams both have high profile OL FAs this year, one a guard and 1 a center... if you ask me, I say we overpay and throw a combined $17M- $20M at these two guys, re-sign Mills and draft a RT with our 2nd rounder, and we still have approx $70M to spend on skill positions and 9 more draft picks to find another 5-6 starters. 

I wish Madden came out at the end of the super bowl, I would love to get the game right now, I would love to get a copy and build this team myself. This offseason is looking exciting.

hard to be a good coach with bum players

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not sure how much Sean McVay would look like Sean McVay without an absurdly good cast of characters to work with, but that's a fair point 

Fair enough.

But I do think he was huge in bringing in the guys he wanted. And I think it’s indisputable how much he helped Goff through his offensive schemes

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

No kidding the Chiefs and Rams won yesterday, what a surprise. 2 of the top 4 teams in the league all season won yesterday, what a shocker.

I stand by my statement, and would take either OL over what Buffalo has.

Dallas - divisional title and a playoff win

Colts - helped salvage the career of a very god QB and had a playoff win

Bills - nearly ruined their rookie QB with an elbow injury about 6 games into his rookie season, borderline hall of fame player couldn't get 4 ypc, 6-10 no playoffs sitting at home, no division title, no playoff wins.

I don't understand how you are against investing in OL.

Im not against investing in the O-line.  If you read my other posts on this topic you would realize  you just made that up.

Dont blow a top 10 pick on o-line over a playmaker.  Pretty simple.  

Colts top O-line got lit up immediately and all day by what everyone was describing as a bad KC D.  Luck was helpless behind that line. 

Allen played well after he returned from injury (ANY O-line is going to allow a hit like that on their QB at some point) behind that same o-line.  

Free agents and 2nd or 3rd round is where the value is.  And get a new RB.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair enough.

But I do think he was huge in bringing in the guys he wanted. And I think it’s indisputable how much he helped Goff through his offensive schemes

Was it only the offensive schemes or could it have been equally the significant added talent around him and him having learned from his rookie year?  I think it all matters, including the scheme, the talent and the experience that Goff has gained.  Having Todd Gurley in the backfield certainly helps a lot as well as the receivers he is working with.