Mr Decoy, Sammy Watkins expected to play vs. Colts

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You actually have to be on the field for games that count in order to be better than any of our receivers. Get serious. He has FRICKIN MAHOMES, NFL MVP, as his quarterback, and he STILL can't live up to his draft position or contract.

Robert Foster had more yards than him this season. Take a guess as to what their pay disparity is.

Yeah.

And we could have both players right now.

At least Mahomes is getting some respect in this post. Most Bills fans can't even admit he's good.

I'd take Sammy over Foster.

As for the pay, It's not my money and the Bills have plenty of cap space. Which FA WR is better than him and how much will he cost?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Sammy ….. 40 catches ….. 519 yards ….. 3 TDs

Foster   ….. 27 catches ….. 541 yards ….. 3 TDs

Jones    ….. 56 catches ….. 652 yards ….. 7 TDs

So actually he's not, you are wrong. Weather he's better than Foster or not may be debatable, but he doesn't hold a candle to "stone hands" Jones, add in the salaries of the three receivers and the Bills are getting WAYYYYYYYYYY more bang for their bucks with Zay and Robert than the Chiefs are getting with Sammy.

So, yes younger players on first contracts are less expensive ( aka more bang for the buck) than players on a second, more lucrative deal. That’s dictated by the parameters of the NFL salary structure and system of drafting/ free agency. This has nothing to do with which player is more talented. 

5 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Sammy ….. 40 catches ….. 519 yards ….. 3 TDs

Foster   ….. 27 catches ….. 541 yards ….. 3 TDs

Jones    ….. 56 catches ….. 652 yards ….. 7 TDs

So actually he's not, you are wrong. Weather he's better than Foster or not may be debatable, but he doesn't hold a candle to "stone hands" Jones, add in the salaries of the three receivers and the Bills are getting WAYYYYYYYYYY more bang for their bucks with Zay and Robert than the Chiefs are getting with Sammy.

Yes he is. You're really defending the Bills WRs right now? If you do that how will you defend Allen's completion percentage later?

Bills receivers are absolute garbage. Hope Zay gets cut, he's a bad player and an embarrassment off the field. 

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Yes he is. You're really defending the Bills WRs right now? If you do that how will you defend Allen's completion percentage later?

Bills receivers are absolute garbage. Hope Zay gets cut, he's a bad player and an embarrassment off the field. 

I don’t think anyone is defending the bills wrs. They’re just comparing how the receivers you think are absolute garbage have better production than Sammy this year. 

Also, why would you hope zay gets cut?  Wouldn’t you like to see him improve so the team gets better?  

Just now, teef said:

I don’t think anyone is defending the bills wrs. They’re just comparing how the receivers you think are absolute garbage have better production than Sammy this year. 

Also, why would you hope zay gets cut?  Wouldn’t you like to see him improve so the team gets better?  

Because he has been bad for two years outside of a game or two and he's an embarrassment off the field. I would have cut him immediately after that video. He's just stopping us from finding another Foster.

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

So, yes younger players on first contracts are less expensive ( aka more bang for the buck) than players on a second, more lucrative deal. That’s dictated by the parameters of the NFL salary structure and system of drafting/ free agency. This has nothing to do with which player is more talented. 

Has nothing to do with contracts …. has to do with talent, and you measure talent with on the field numbers. The poster I was responding to said Sammy is a better WR than anybody who wore a Bills uniform by far. I was pointing out that he wasn't. I added the salary part tom illustrate that TALENTWISE he was comparable to Foster, and somewhat less than Jones, but VALUEWISE Foster+Jones has him beat hands down.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kelvin Benjamin a healthy scratch today too HA.

Sammy right now is a better overall WR than Foster, it’s not even that close really.  However, Foster appears to be an ascending player and at 1/32 the price.  So more than reasonable people would prefer to have an ascending player in Foster and his current $500k salary instead of Sammy’s $16m salary who has just one 1000 yard season in 5 seasons, and that was 5 years ago.  Plagued with both injuries and circumstance, he hasn’t produced what his salary dictates one should expect. 

Ive always believed Sammy to be quite talented.  But even I would prefer to have Foster and his salary right now rather than Sammy’s $16m salary.  At some point he needs to emerge as the go to guy with that kind of salary, and he just hasn’t yet.  He was out produced by more than one player while on the Rams, and he’s been out produced by multiple Chiefs players now too.  At $16m a year, you better be the guy the DC is game planning to stop, not the 3rd or 4th weapon.  

Agreed.  I’ve always been a Sammy supporter, but his feet are a problem. He’s brittle.  Can’t stay on the field.  Not worth the money.  They didn’t miss a beat without him.  I’m sure the chiefs would rather have that 17 mill a year back.  Every free agent WR that doesn’t get the money they want will be lining up to play for the chiefs on a one year deal.  Reid + Maholmes + Hill + Kelce = instant offense.  Sammy is a luxury and they’d be better off spending that 17 mill a year in defense. Their defense sucks and is the reason they won’t win the super bowl imo.  Colts win today. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sammy right now is a better overall WR than Foster, it’s not even that close really.  However, Foster appears to be an ascending player and at 1/32 the price.  So more than reasonable people would prefer to have an ascending player in Foster and his current $500k salary instead of Sammy’s $16m salary who has just one 1000 yard season in 5 seasons, and that was 5 years ago.  Plagued with both injuries and circumstance, he hasn’t produced what his salary dictates one should expect. 

Ive always believed Sammy to be quite talented.  But even I would prefer to have Foster and his salary right now rather than Sammy’s $16m salary.  At some point he needs to emerge as the go to guy with that kind of salary, and he just hasn’t yet.  He was out produced by more than one player while on the Rams, and he’s been out produced by multiple Chiefs players now too.  At $16m a year, you better be the guy the DC is game planning to stop, not the 3rd or 4th weapon.  

Good post overall.  The reason it’s even a debate is because Sammy can’t stay healthy.  You could have Sammy and Foster.  

Now, we are going to overpay for FA who isn’t close to the talent level of a (healthy) Sammy.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yes, it happens twice a year and his defenders crow as if he just was named superbowl mvp coming off a 1300 yard 12 td season.

Meanwhile his typical stat line game reads closer to 3 receptions 47 yards receiving and a bunch of "deafening silence" from all his defenders who cannot admit that he has proven to be exactly what some of us said all along about him which is that he has all the talent in the world but is too inconsistent and injury prone.

McVay traded for him and he failed to produce anywhere near at the level they had hoped he would hence them deciding to lose out on their 2nd round pick by not re-signing him to then turn around and pick up Brandon for even more than what Sammy got.   Those that are citing the McVay trade for him as some sort of supporting argument really arent thinking this through too much ?

He did lead the Rams in receiving TDs in 2017 with 9.

No Rams' WR in 2018 had more than 6.

You're correct, however, that the consistency just hasn't been there 

Just now, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I’ve always been a Sammy supporter, but his feet are a problem. He’s brittle.  Can’t stay on the field.  Not worth the money.  They didn’t miss a beat without him.  I’m sure the chiefs would rather have that 17 mill a year back.  Every free agent WR that doesn’t get the money they want will be lining up to play for the chiefs on a one year deal.  Reid + Maholmes + Hill + Kelce = instant offense.  Sammy is a luxury and they’d be better off spending that 17 mill a year in defense. Their defense sucks and is the reason they won’t win the super bowl imo.  Colts win today. 

In this case the princess doesnt have glass slippers he has glass feet.

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

No he's not, and I'm NOT defending the Bills receivers (incase you missed it I nicknamed Jones "stone hands" in my post) I'm just saying that Sammy is a whole big pile of potential that has never been realized for any continued timespan during his career. But I am curious as to what makes you feel that he is better than his numbers say he is?

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They are game planing against him.  The plan is to stomp on his foot every opportunity.

I really think Belichik put something in his gatorade that makes foot bones become brittle

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, macaroni said:

No he's not, and I'm NOT defending the Bills receivers (incase you missed it I nicknamed Jones "stone hands" in my post) I'm just saying that Sammy is a whole big pile of potential that has never been realized for any continued timespan during his career. But I am curious as to what makes you feel that he is better than his numbers say he is?

ok, When he's on the field he's better than any of our receivers this season. At least if we had Sammy instead of Zay we might be able to find someone who can catch while Sammy's injured. Right now Zay its a negative in my eyes with all the drops and lack of separation. Foster proves there are players who deserve it more out there.

10 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Because he has been bad for two years outside of a game or two and he's an embarrassment off the field. I would have cut him immediately after that video. He's just stopping us from finding another Foster.

What?  He improved quite a bit from his first to second year. He’s not where he needs to be, but improvement was definitely there?  You’re that bent out of shape over a video?  Move on. It didn’t stop him from working and getting better than his first year. Your anger towards him is a bit strange. 

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

Bitter?  Does it sound like I'm bitter about Beane trading him away?  I am downright giddy that we dodged a bullet by not retaining him, because hes been exactly what I feared he'd been which was inconsistent and often-injured, not to mention a cap cost of around $17 million a year.

Bitter ?

Yeah, our offense has been super fun to watch without him!

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He did lead the Rams in receiving TDs in 2017 with 9.

No Rams' WR in 2018 had more than 6.

You're correct, however, that the consistency just hasn't been there 

And the injury concerns which were part of the calculation of shipping him off.