Your opinion how the Bills will add to the Roster? (edited)

njbuff

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My honest opinion?  Too vague a thread title, too many question marks.  This front office should have installed a revolving door on the locker room with all the players that were in and out.  I wonder if the bigger cap room will make it more of a condition.  Perhaps greater cap room will also let the Bills ‘buy once’ and be done for player needs.

so it's been said that this year's WR crop is weak. I'd expect us to take a long look at ex-Panthers like Funchess as he is a tall red zone target that Beane seems to want. Failing that I won't rule out Dez Bryant or Donte Moncrief. We'll need a speedster too is Foster isn't deemed adequate so I could see us looking at John Brown or Darius Heyward Bey. I can see us taking a long look at Panthers OT Daryl Williams.

If we're going to make a splashy signing I think it will be Leveon Bell

Edited by stuvian

Use the money to add 3 new players to the oline

#1 RT D Williams 5yrs 55mil

#2 C Mitch Morse 4yrs 36mil

#3 trade a 6th for  OG Osemele i hear the Raiders will move him this offseason. 

RB - Mark Ingram 3yrs 18mil

Wr- John Brown 3yrs 27mil.

Wr Kevin White 1yr 2.5 mil

TE sign Jessie James  3yrs 16mil

DT Grady Jerrett 4yrs 30mil

DT David Irving 1yr 5mil

CB EJ Gaines 2yrs 6.5mil

MLB Sean Lee 1yr 5mil

These signings will add great depth to our team . It fixes the oline and allows us to truly go best available in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Do you think the Bills are going to be active in FA?

Yes but they are not spending a lot

Will they make a big trade?

Real strong possibility

Will they use the draft to acquire most of their talent by trading down a lot?

I think they trade up

Will they do all of the above?

Possible

Or is this just talk and the Bills will basically sign a few free agents and stay put on draft days and just add the 10 rookies?

Signing a few FA is being active. They will add 10 or more rookies and I trust that process

What is your honest opinion on what McBeane will do when the off season bell rings?

We have a GM  named Beane and a coach named McDermott. They are two different people. The first has to decide who to bring in. The second decides how or if to play them.

I think we'll overpay 2 offensive line players in free agency (Daryl Williams and Paradis or Morse). It is hard to fix an offensive line these days without overpaying so I'm fine with that. I don't want to rely on rookies to protect Josh Allen next year. Besides that I would guess most of our signings will be mid-grade. I could see us bringing in Golden Tate, maybe Jesse James or Tyler Eifert too. Tyrrell Williams is overrated and we can find receivers of that caliber in the 2nd round this year. I don't expect any big defensive signings. Our first pick as BPA will likely be on defense.

• Thank you (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Your opinion how the Bills will add to the Roster? (edited)

"As a young scout, I learned that it typically takes eight to 12 blue-chip players to field a championship roster. Those blue-chip players are regarded as top-10 players at their respective positions and they are the difference makers on your squad. From a draft perspective, I was also taught first- and second-round selections should form the nucleus of your team and they must play at a high level for your team to have any chance of competing for the title.

Based on this who are the blue chip players on the Bills roster?

Edited by ScramblinDan

There are a couple of very good interior OLmen in FA. I expect the Bills will be active there.  Don't really know if there are any good recievers in FA. I think the Bills will focus more on offense than defense so I expect at least a couple of those positions to come from both FA and the draft. TE will be drafted I think.  Defense won't be overlooked, but the primary focus will be on O. Not really expecting a big splash(Maybe Antonio Brown?) Who knows. Management has proven they are not afraid to wheel & deal. Anything could happen.

Right now I think it's important to get coaches hired ASAP. We need an OL coach and a recievers coach badly so they can give some input on fixing OL & receiver problems.

Just now, Rockinon said:

There are a couple of very good interior OLmen in FA. I expect the Bills will be active there.  Don't really know if there are any good recievers in FA. I think the Bills will focus more on offense than defense so I expect at least a couple of those positions to come from both FA and the draft. TE will be drafted I think.  Defense won't be overlooked, but the primary focus will be on O. Not really expecting a big splash(Maybe Antonio Brown?) Who knows. Management has proven they are not afraid to wheel & deal. Anything could happen.

Right now I think it's important to get coaches hired ASAP. We need an OL coach and a recievers coach badly so they can give some input on fixing OL & receiver problems.

Antonio Brown would certainly constitute a big splash. He is the antithesis of a "process" guy and has bad history with Poyer, so highly doubtful that happens. I think Oline will be the free agent focus, as it should be.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Antonio Brown would certainly constitute a big splash. He is the antithesis of a "process" guy and has bad history with Poyer, so highly doubtful that happens. I think Oline will be the free agent focus, as it should be.

I'm well aware of his antics. That doesn't mean it won't happen, and not that I'm thrilled about the idea.

Edited by Rockinon

Here is what I hope they do

re-sign:

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Mills

Lorenzo Alexander

Release:

Vlad Ducasse

Charles Clay

Chris Ivory

Patrick Dimarco

Add best available OL, WR and ST coaches

Sign in Free Agency:

RT - Darryl Williams

G - Ruben Foster

C - Matt Paradies

TE - Jessie James

WR - Chris Conley or Tyrell Williams

LB - Anthony Barr

NFL Draft

1.  Christian Wilkins - DT

2.  Hakeem Butler - WR

3.  TJ Hockenson - TE

4.  RB from Texas A & M

4.  G from Wisconsin

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Of course they're going to be active in FA, with $90 mill.

They're not in a position to trade down too much at this point. Unfortunately. They don't so much need people as they need blue-chippers. 

Here's Bucky Brooks on the Cowboys and it's right on about how to develop a team:

"As a young scout, I learned that it typically takes eight to 12 blue-chip players to field a championship roster. Those blue-chip players are regarded as top-10 players at their respective positions and they are the difference makers on your squad. From a draft perspective, I was also taught first- and second-round selections should form the nucleus of your team and they must play at a high level for your team to have any chance of competing for the title.

"When I study the Cowboys, I absolutely believe they have enough blue-chippers to hoist the Lombardi Trophy within the next few years. The team has consensus blue-chip players in Frederick (missed all of this season but has voiced optimism about returning in 2019), Martin, Lawrence, Jones, Elliott, Smith and Vander Esch. Although Prescott isn't necessarily a blue-chip player, he is a high-end starter based on his winning record as a QB1 (32-16 in regular season; 1-1 in playoffs) and intangibles as a Steve McNair-like leader.

"With the Cowboys also getting timely contributions from some late-rounders and undrafted playmakers, the team's overall development plan has played a huge role in its emergence as a heavyweight contender in the NFC.

I think it is important to acknowledge the team's gamble to surrender a first-round pick to the Oakland Raiders for Amari Cooper at the trade deadline this season. Critics laughed at the Cowboys for giving up a king's ransom for an underachieving pass catcher, but Cooper has given the team a legitimate WR1 on the perimeter to complement the strong running game on offense.

"'You want to draft and develop your own guys,' said an AFC executive. 'You build it from the ground up and add free agents or trade for guys to fill in the gaps. That's the perfect model.' "

Exactly. I hope he's wrong about Dallas having a good shot at a title, but they're building the right way.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009585/article/nick-foles-or-carson-wentz-eagles-face-big-offseason-decision

So who were NEs 12 Blue chip players in there Championships.  Remember top 10 at there position.  Just curious.

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'll tell you this. That 90 mil in cap space has lost much of it's luster now that we actually take a look at the available free agents.

This class is full of solid offensive lineman who will end up being available.  Some solid #2 receivers.  This is perfect for the Bills needs.

10 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

This class is full of solid offensive lineman who will end up being available.  Some solid #2 receivers.  This is perfect for the Bills needs.

I definitely hope you are correct. I would hate to see the team sitting on cash because the perfect players weren't available. Perfect players rarely hit free agency. You can roll over a certain portion of the cap, but it really doesn't serve the franchise well to have all this space every year. The good teams generally hover right around the cap and make tweaks here and there to keep the premium players.

Edited by LSHMEAB

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think we'll overpay 2 offensive line players in free agency (Daryl Williams and Paradis or Morse). It is hard to fix an offensive line these days without overpaying so I'm fine with that. I don't want to rely on rookies to protect Josh Allen next year. Besides that I would guess most of our signings will be mid-grade. I could see us bringing in Golden Tate, maybe Jesse James or Tyler Eifert too. Tyrrell Williams is overrated and we can find receivers of that caliber in the 2nd round this year. I don't expect any big defensive signings. Our first pick as BPA will likely be on defense.

I think that if he can stay healthy, Eifert would be the steal of free agency.

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'll tell you this. That 90 mil in cap space has lost much of it's luster now that we actually take a look at the available free agents.

Not at all. There are several good offensive linemen and tight ends available, a couple solid running backs too. Those are the positions we should be spending on this year.

13 minutes ago, billykay said:

I think that if he can stay healthy, Eifert would be the steal of free agency.

I would love Eifert at the right price. It's a risk but a lot of potential at a relatively low cost. We should draft a TE too.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they will be active in free agency, but smart (not like the Whaley clay scenario).

I think they pursue talent that fits at a price we are willing to pay and not get into a pissing contest with other teams unless that player is clearly worth it.

i think we don’t make any splash trades.

i think Beane will do exactly as he says and draft best available.

• Like (+1) 1

I want them to get at least one O-lineman, one decent WR and a bit of defensive depth in Free Agency, though I don't think they should or will spend to the cap this offseason.

Get rid of some of the dead weight (Charles Clay specifically).

In the draft, again get an O-lineman, WR and a RB in the mid rounds (I like Montgomery from Iowa State - kid's like a bowling ball). Fill out the rest of the draft with depth players/contributors on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Here is what I hope they do

re-sign:

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Mills

Lorenzo Alexander

Release:

Vlad Ducasse

Charles Clay

Chris Ivory

Patrick Dimarco

Add best available OL, WR and ST coaches

Sign in Free Agency:

RT - Darryl Williams

G - Ruben Foster

C - Matt Paradies

TE - Jessie James

WR - Chris Conley or Tyrell Williams

LB - Anthony Barr

NFL Draft

1.  Christian Wilkins - DT

2.  Hakeem Butler - WR

3.  TJ Hockenson - TE

4.  RB from Texas A & M

4.  G from Wisconsin

Perfect list except I trade out Barr for a younger DE or CB. The nickle package is run too often to justify Barr's salary.