Your opinion how the Bills will add to the Roster? (edited)

njbuff

Do you think the Bills are going to be active in FA?

Will they make a big trade?

Will they use the draft to acquire most of their talent by trading down a lot?

Will they do all of the above?

Or is this just talk and the Bills will basically sign a few free agents and stay put on draft days and just add the 10 rookies?

What is your honest opinion on what McBeane will do when the off season bell rings?

I expect them to be active, but not make a big splash. Probably a few of what are considered "second tier" FA's and resign a couple of our own. I do expect them to be in on the top OL players, but don't expect much in the way of them actually signing here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Do you think the Bills are going to be active in FA?  Of course they are.  My guess is David Funchess, Golden Tate, Darius Philon, and Daryl Williams will be their most coveted targets.  We'll end up with only overpaying for Jamison Crowder.

Will they make a big trade?   A medium sized one.  I think we trade a 4th with Jacksonville for Malik Jackson.

Will they use the draft to acquire most of their talent by trading down a lot?  No.  It takes two to tango and most teams want to move down.

Will they do all of the above?  No.  Read my last answer.

Or is this just talk and the Bills will basically sign a few free agents and stay put on draft days and just add the 10 rookies?  Nine rookies.  Read my 2nd answer.

What is your honest opinion on what McBeane will do when the off season bell rings?  McDermott - Clap.  Beane - contact every Carolina free agent.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Do you think the Bills are going to be active in FA?

Will they make a big trade?

Will they use the draft to acquire most of their talent by trading down a lot?

Will they do all of the above?

Or is this just talk and the Bills will basically sign a few free agents and stay put on draft days and just add the 10 rookies?

What is your honest opinion on what McBeane will do when the off season bell rings?

Of course they're going to be active in FA, with $90 mill.

They're not in a position to trade down too much at this point. Unfortunately. They don't so much need people as they need blue-chippers. 

Here's Bucky Brooks on the Cowboys and it's right on about how to develop a team:

"As a young scout, I learned that it typically takes eight to 12 blue-chip players to field a championship roster. Those blue-chip players are regarded as top-10 players at their respective positions and they are the difference makers on your squad. From a draft perspective, I was also taught first- and second-round selections should form the nucleus of your team and they must play at a high level for your team to have any chance of competing for the title.

"When I study the Cowboys, I absolutely believe they have enough blue-chippers to hoist the Lombardi Trophy within the next few years. The team has consensus blue-chip players in Frederick (missed all of this season but has voiced optimism about returning in 2019), Martin, Lawrence, Jones, Elliott, Smith and Vander Esch. Although Prescott isn't necessarily a blue-chip player, he is a high-end starter based on his winning record as a QB1 (32-16 in regular season; 1-1 in playoffs) and intangibles as a Steve McNair-like leader.

"With the Cowboys also getting timely contributions from some late-rounders and undrafted playmakers, the team's overall development plan has played a huge role in its emergence as a heavyweight contender in the NFC.

I think it is important to acknowledge the team's gamble to surrender a first-round pick to the Oakland Raiders for Amari Cooper at the trade deadline this season. Critics laughed at the Cowboys for giving up a king's ransom for an underachieving pass catcher, but Cooper has given the team a legitimate WR1 on the perimeter to complement the strong running game on offense.

"'You want to draft and develop your own guys,' said an AFC executive. 'You build it from the ground up and add free agents or trade for guys to fill in the gaps. That's the perfect model.' "

Exactly. I hope he's wrong about Dallas having a good shot at a title, but they're building the right way.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009585/article/nick-foles-or-carson-wentz-eagles-face-big-offseason-decision

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What is your honest opinion on what McBeane will do when the off season bell rings?  McDermott - Clap.  Beane - contact every Carolina free agent.

And in early March several posters will claim to have seen LB Thomas Davis at the Buffalo airport.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

And in early March several posters will claim to have seen LB Thomas Davis at the Buffalo airport.

Channel 4 will interview the neighbour of the step brother of someone who saw Davis at the airport.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

With Josh Allen on the team, Bills have potentially the number one marquee player in the NFL. They will do whatever they can to get this show on the road. The only obstacle I envision for this off-season is lack of talent in free agency or the Draft not falling in the Bills favor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

My honest opinion?  Too vague a thread title, too many question marks.  This front office should have installed a revolving door on the locker room with all the players that were in and out.  I wonder if the bigger cap room will make it more of a condition.  Perhaps greater cap room will also let the Bills ‘buy once’ and be done for player needs.

As Beane states, this was a calculated plan to eat all dead money in 2018. So I don’t see the Bills going bonkers to try and soak up all that cap space.

I can see one guy in positions of need - one WR, one OLineman. one DLineman and one back seven Defensive piece. 

I would also also bet on trading up in the Draft. McDermott/Whaley did it twice in their first draft, and Beane did it twice in the 2018 draft. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

As Beane states, this was a calculated plan to eat all dead money in 2018. So I don’t see the Bills going bonkers to try and soak up all that cap space.

I can see one guy in positions of need - one WR, one OLineman. one DLineman and one back seven Defensive piece. 

I would also also bet on trading up in the Draft. McDermott/Whaley did it twice in their first draft, and Beane did it twice in the 2018 draft. 

I like your post, but I bet there'll be a lot more FAs than that. I expect them to bring in a bunch of guys, low-level to mid-level guys, filling the obvious holes and building a roster without major obvious weaknesses, building competition and depth.

I don't see a lot of expensive FAs, though, if that's what you're saying.

Don't see them trading up. It wasn't anything that they did in Carolina, and they've talked about treasuring their picks. IMO the reason they traded up was the very specific absolute need to bring in a franchise QB. I'd bet we don't see any major trade-ups, though going up a few spaces especially in later rounds might make sense to them. I guess we'll see who's right about that when the time comes.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know what their plan is, but I hope they don’t go crazy unless it’s for an elite player. Overspending on good players should be limited to one or two year deals.  A real problem is that they need help at premier positions and getting high quality players at those positions will likely require drafting them. Overpaying for someone like Clowney would be very worthwhile, but that’s a long shot at best. Ultimately finding good fits at reasonable contracts will be most of FA.

I expect them to be aggressive in the draft. They’re going to go after their guys. The full rebuild won’t be done this year but they can be a lot better with a solid showing in FA and 2-3 quality players in the draft. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I expect them to be active, but not make a big splash. Probably a few of what are considered "second tier" FA's and resign a couple of our own. I do expect them to be in on the top OL players, but don't expect much in the way of them actually signing here. 

This is what I was expecting. 

I would add I think they will be looking to add some players via trade but not Antonio brown level players. I expect Beane to be active on the phones seeing who is available for some trades. 

Going to be a lot of upset folks on here when we’re not signing the top 5 free agents for each position we’re weak at 

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

10 rookies is too many rookies.  They will use draft picks for trades, or to move up.  

Yea I agree I think they willbtrade up. We will end up with either an extra 2nd or 3rd round picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's McDermott & Beane ... who knows. I'm not comfortable with these 2 yet, I have to wait & see cause they might be active but pick the wrong guy's.

Kelvin Benjamin (even tho we traded for him in mid season of 2017, he was hurt & was really expected to make an impact for the 2018 season & we all know how that worked out)

Vontae Davis 

Russell Bodine

Jeremy Kerley 

AJ McCarron 

Chris Ivory 

Star Lotulelei 

Just to name a few were them being active smh, hardly none of these guy's planned out.

Ivory was ok, but the fact that average RB Chris Ivory was ok over Shady because you didn't have enough good depth on your o-line is very concerning on their decision making. 

Like, I know we need another CB, but that better not be a priority. They gave a defensive player(Star) they're biggest contract ($50M)to date to plug gaps over adding ANY MORE TALENT to the screaming offense that so desperately needed it...??

**Excuse me while I jump for joy**

It's just hard to judge with these two... & then we have to worry will these guy's panned out after they sign? 

Edited by Scorp83
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1