Am seething after reading this bum article from Forbes.com that takes a cheap shot at Buffalo

14 hours ago, MJS said:

If you love Buffalo you should probably want the negative outside perspective to persist. You don't want all the outsiders to move in, do you?

Yeah I agree. I'll take all that negativity and then some.

I think we got something special brewing, I'm not going to enjoy the bandwagoners and national media suddenly pro Buffalo and pro Allen . Not going to enjoy conversing with some fairweather fans on this board. 

9 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Why pile on? If you don’t like it here and have moved on, well bully for you! If you’re gone and still complaining that’s more of an indictment of your character than of Buffalo’s.

Buffalo/WNY is a great place to work, live, and raise a family. The sense of community is second to none.

The taxes are somewhat offset by the cost of living. People will always complain about taxes, sure, but when it snows three feet overnight I always make it to work in the morning. My garbage and yard  brush are always taken from the side of the road. Our State University system holds value across the country.

Every city in the country can’t be LA, Dallas or Miami, you do realize this, no?

Don’t tapdance on your roots because you think you’re somehow better than us for leaving. 

Agree with point about taxes and cost of living.  I now live in Northern Va.  My home is over $400K.  In Bflo, it would be almost half.  I also lived around Atlanta.  Hot and no sense of community.  I'm married to a Bflo girl, and we lived there 5 years.  Loved every minute, except maybe March and April.  Growing up in Augusta, I was ready to play golf.  Buffalo has the best summers, falls, and the winter outdoor activities.  Good food and performing arts and higher ed.  Count your blessings, folks, you've got it pretty dang good in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/01/07/teams-that-make-sense-to-trade-for-antonio-brown/#1518a7c25e12

Where the hell did that come from? What makes Pittsburgh so much more desirable than Buffalo? Why is that comment only for Buffalo and not for, say, Detroit? 

Per Forbes.com's own website (this is place for doing business ranking and not a livability ranking - but still are the two cities really that different (#94 vs. #101 - Detroit is #178)?

Buffalo, NY

Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 1,136,100

·         Major Industries: Financial services, Technology, Education

·         Gross Metro Product: $84.7 B

·         Median Household Income: $54,124

·         Median Home Price: $149,000

·         Unemployment: 5.1%

·         Job Growth (2017): 0.8%

·         Cost of Living: 11% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 32.5%

·         Net Migration (2017): -120

Forbes Lists:

#101 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #19 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #169 in Job Growth

·         #84 in Education

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 2,334,800

·         Major Industries: Health care, Technology, Bio-science

·         Gross Metro Product: $158 B

·         Median Household Income: $59,130

·         Median Home Price: $147,000

·         Unemployment: 4.4%

·         Job Growth (2017): 1.1%

·         Cost of Living: 7% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 35.1%

·         Net Migration (2017): 750

Forbes Lists:

#94 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #134 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #184 in Job Growth

·         #66 in Education

Dude, get out of WNY a bit. This is no slam.

This is a correct article.

Buffalo has the money to do an AB trade, and the need at WR. It is not crazy.

As far as lifestyle goes; Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay and Pittsburgh are in the same class.

None of these cities are NY, LA, Chi, Miami much less Dallas, Houston or Phoenix.

Buffalo is not a destination, but is is a place someone can earn a living, and live well. Quite the change from 10 yrs ago.

I moved back to WNY from Philly and Boston for family. I grew up in Rochester, I love Buffalo, but it is no destination.

That is ok.

Plenty of great football players come from tiny villages and towns. Not everyone wants a major city.

We need to find 'country boys' who are good with being in a metro our size. That is a lot of players.

Major stars may want the glitz. Get the football players who want some glitz, but to be quiet.

It's very possible.

Josh Allen come from areas where Buffalo would be a major city. A lot of areas around the country would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/01/07/teams-that-make-sense-to-trade-for-antonio-brown/#1518a7c25e12

Where the hell did that come from? What makes Pittsburgh so much more desirable than Buffalo? Why is that comment only for Buffalo and not for, say, Detroit? 

Per Forbes.com's own website (this is place for doing business ranking and not a livability ranking - but still are the two cities really that different (#94 vs. #101 - Detroit is #178)?

I dunno.  Maybe it's that the Steelers have had15 winning seasons, 12 playoff seasons, 4 Super Bowl appearances and 2 Super Bowl wins since 2000 while the Bills have managed all of 3 winning seasons and 1 playoff appearance in that same time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/12/2019 at 11:08 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Excellent post. Ralph spent a ton of money and keep the Bills in Buffalo when he could made a ton more money elsewhere.  He is a saint.

What part of California are you in?

CB-- I am inbetween San Fran and Sacramento. We have about 8 months of summer here. But if you are gonna do the CA/Buff thing its probably best that you go southern CA where you get 10 months of summer--so you can get out of buff in jan feb march and have real nice weather in CA. Maybe outside of San Diego....???

my only gripe about wny is the lack of sun this time of year.  the january to april run is brutal.  gloomy, cold, damp, etc.  i think it's as bad as advertised.  

that being said, the suburbs are great, schools are excellent, my area for a small town has some great restaurants.  i'm also at the point in my life where it doesn't take me much to make me happy, so whether i lived in a large city vs small, i'd likely be doing the same things everyday.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I wonder why the broadcast team didn’t make any snide comments about the frigid weather in New England yesterday. You know would have had it been in Buffalo. 

they did all game

mention of Kraft out in the freezing cold without his jacket on was easily remembered

they talked about the biter cold possibly causing the Chargers to get hurt as they did

On 1/12/2019 at 6:18 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

What’s the name for ‘Yuppies 2020’?  You know,  the ones that will be buying seat licenses in the new downtown domed stadium, and renting $3000 a month converted lofts.  ?

hockey fans. ?

don't studies show individual season tix holder fans of NHL earn a lot more than avg individual NFL fans. ?? I  mean seasons for NHL are a lot more than NFL.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I like downtown Buffalo near the Arena. Its a really nice area and glad they are working on making it better. 

The only I have against the city is how quick they close or cancel things as soon as an ice cube falls from the sky. 

I guess you have never been to NC or Atlanta during a snow dusting "event" then.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:48 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I think that would be the chuckle - sending him from a HOF QB in a franchise with a long track record of success, to a rookie who barely got north of 50% completions in a franchise with a long recent record of mediocrity.

Sort of like KB taking a shot at Cam when he's about to catch passes from Peterman

If I was Pitt i would send Brown to the worst team in the league so the draft pick compensation has more value. Don't do stupid like Bills did stupid. IE: trading with Super Bowl champs and contenders.

F him. He ***** on the Steelers. Let him sit out with new team after the trade for all I care.(my short list for trade to, for mostly original team picks only, are: Raiders/Cards/Giants/Fins in that order)

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

I guess you have never been to NC or Atlanta during a snow dusting "event" then.

There's no infrastructure in the South to properly maintain the roads since it happens like.. twice a year at best, and it's super dangerous to drive that way if nobody is prepared for icy roads.

Shut it down! 1 inch snow day for kids that have seen snow 3 times in their lives! Scumbag truants trying to enjoy snow...

On 1/12/2019 at 9:19 AM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

im sure NYS gives tax breaks to businesses moving in.

its the people who live there that get screwed. 

my original intention was to retire to the finger lakes, but I just cant afford to do it.  my in-laws pay a special tax just because they have a view of Lake Keuka.  A view tax.  they're like 5  miles from the actual lake.

I'd be careful...I've heard people disappear in the Finger Lakes

Image result for people disappear in the finger lakes