Am seething after reading this bum article from Forbes.com that takes a cheap shot at Buffalo

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My perception of Buffalo is a bit skewered. Growing up in Maryland, we'd take summer vacations to Pop's(Detroit) and Mom's(Buffalo, specifically Armor.) I grew up loving the area mostly because I was a freaking kid and it was just cool. Wasn't a fan of downtown, but this was the early 90's. Popped back in a few times over the 90's and 2000's and had a great time only because I was attending a Bills game.

Normally I don’t do this, but you meant skewed and not skewered, right.

then again....

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think that, in addition to M&T (as previously mentioned) they may also be referring to all the back end offices for a number of major banks as part of financial services too.

I forget the exact number of 'em, but there is more than just UB for college in the area too. I'd assume UB is the biggest and brightest, but definitely not the only.

I think the point is being missed here. Granted my response was full of some snark.

Most and many of the jobs for companies like Ingram, Citi, Ingram, Blue Cross, Kalieda, etc. are largely low end employment in the grand scheme of things. Largely because of the need for work in Buffalo and the low cost of living.

There are a number of colleges in WNY, but it’s not a hub for education. It is a mid sized city with colleges that are relatively average. UB, Buff State, Cansisus, D’Youville, Daemen. It is not an educational hub.

Buffalo props up these companies and universities more so than they are actually recognized outside of the community. 

Not to hate on the area. I moved back a few years ago for a number of reasons, mostly personal and home town stuff. But it is also an honest inventory of the region. Most of the actual data for the Buffalo area does not point to any sort of resurgence or renaissance. It’s a relative fallacy. Very little meaningful data points to an upward trend. It’s still stagnant with a few coats of paint. 

22 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My perception of Buffalo is a bit skewed. Growing up in Maryland, we'd take summer vacations to Pop's(Detroit) and Mom's(Buffalo, specifically Armor.) I grew up loving the area mostly because I was a freaking kid and it was just cool. Wasn't a fan of downtown, but this was the early 90's. Popped back in a few times over the 90's and 2000's and had a great time only because I was attending a Bills game.

Last time I was there was the Raiders game in 2017. Crazy day because the temperature went from 70 to 30 on Sunday. Must say that the city was vastly improved since my time there in the 90's. It's funny that people from places like Pittsburgh or Philly trash Buffalo. I live in Las Vegas because I'm also a weather p word, but Buffalo is definitely improving and no worse than other cities in the region.

I would advise the OP to not let such trivialities affect your mood. 

Good post.  Buffalo people and Bills fans are very sensitive.  Who gives a crap if someone doesn’t like your city?  One of my favorite things about Buffalo is it has a lot of things big cities have without the big city problems.  But yes, the weather sucks for like half of the year and there aren’t a ton of jobs.  But every single city has their own issues (LA - cost of living, traffic, super fake NYC - living like a college student etc). 

But as you said, because Buffalo was at rock bottom, it had no where to go but up.  I’m very proud of my city for the progress it’s making.  I love telling people I’m from Buffalo.  

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the point is being missed here. Granted my response was full of some snark.

Most and many of the jobs for companies like Ingram, Citi, Ingram, Blue Cross, Kalieda, etc. are largely low end employment in the grand scheme of things. Largely because of the need for work in Buffalo and the low cost of living.

There are a number of colleges in WNY, but it’s not a hub for education. It is a mid sized city with colleges that are relatively average. UB, Buff State, Cansisus, D’Youville, Daemen. It is not an educational hub.

Buffalo props up these companies and universities more so than they are actually recognized outside of the community. 

Not to hate on the area. I moved back a few years ago for a number of reasons, mostly personal and home town stuff. But it is also an honest inventory of the region. Most of the actual data for the Buffalo area does not point to any sort of resurgence or renaissance. It’s a relative fallacy. Very little meaningful data points to an upward trend. It’s still stagnant with a few coats of paint. 

I think Buffalo has more college student per captia than any other city in the country.  Bang for buck, in terms of quality education, you are hard press to beat UB.  Very good, affordable school. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post.  Buffalo people and Bills fans are very sensitive.  Who gives a crap if someone doesn’t like your city?  One of my favorite things about Buffalo is it has a lot of things big cities have without the big city problems.  But yes, the weather sucks for like half of the year and there aren’t a ton of jobs.  But every single city has their own issues (LA - cost of living, traffic, super fake NYC - living like a college student etc). 

But as you said, because Buffalo was at rock bottom, it had no where to go but up.  I’m very proud of my city for the progress it’s making.  I love telling people I’m from Buffalo.  

I think Buffalo has more college student per captia than any other city in the country.  Bang for buck, in terms of quality education, you are hard press to beat UB.  Very good, affordable school. 

I fully agree greed with your take on UB as a good school and bang for buck. I went to UB. I get it 

That doesn’t make mean that higher education is a major pillar of our community, and defining pillar. It’s not Boston, Chicago, NYC, the Bay Area, or for the sake of this conversation, Pittsburgh. 

Outside of UB the educational opportunities here are middling. Employment opportunities are currently relatively entry level for much of the population.  We don’t have a diverse job sector. A lot of those things go into what makes Buffalo affordable.

We’re in the NE, so we are ahead of the curve compared to a lot of cities and regions. But Pittsburgh is a great example of what Buffalo should strive for. Good use of waterfront. A lot of diverse employment opportunities. More than one good school for higher ed. Reasonable cost of living. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I fully agree greed with your take on UB as a good school and bang for buck. I went to UB. I get it 

That doesn’t make mean that higher education is a major pillar of our community, and defining pillar. It’s not Boston, Chicago, NYC, the Bay Area, or for the sake of this conversation, Pittsburgh. 

Outside of UB the educational opportunities here are middling. Employment opportunities are currently relatively entry level for much of the population.  We don’t have a diverse job sector. A lot of those things go into what makes Buffalo affordable.

We’re in the NE, so we are ahead of the curve compared to a lot of cities and regions. But Pittsburgh is a great example of what Buffalo should strive for. Good use of waterfront. A lot of diverse employment opportunities. More than one good school for higher ed. Reasonable cost of living. 

I definitely think a big issue Buffalo has faced has been keeping recent graduates or retaining younger people in general.  It’s been so mismanagement for so long.

and I don’t know who you credit for renaissance, but this is the best version of Buffalo I have seen.  Things are popping up everywhere.  There actually is a plan.  I do think they are copying the Pittsburgh blueprint (just need the good teams now!).  Now, we just need a dome for the weather (though at Christmas time, it was like 40 degrees with no snow).  Buffalo is finally going in the right direction for the first time since the 60s.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That Ralph was cheap is a BS narrative... he gave OJ million +, the 90s Bills were known as the million dollar Bills.. million dollar contracts everywhere.. was he cheap then?

he also gave ludicrous contracts to Derrick Dockery in the 2000s.. 7 year 49 million.. one of the largest guard contracts ever at the time .. cheap?

He gave out $$$ to the wrong people... on bad teams

he had no problem giving Mario 100 million or giving Fitz a 65 million dollar extension lol

of course he wasn’t going to spend to the cap  when we had a crappy team, that doesn’t make him cheap . I don’t talk crap about the man who created and kept the Bills in Buffalo for 50 years 

Ralph was cheap. World class cheap..

Why people feel the need to bash Ralph Wilson in death is beyond me. At this point, I don't care if he didn't spend x amount on y coach, etc. He went above and beyond to make sure we're even here talking about a team named the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why people feel the need to bash Ralph Wilson in death is beyond me. At this point, I don't care if he didn't spend x amount on y coach, etc. He went above and beyond to make sure we're even hear talking about a team named the Buffalo Bills.

Some know despite their vast bragged football knowledge would be laughed at if they applied for as low level job as locker room attendant or assistant in GM office.   It gnaws at their gut.

4 hours ago, Mango said:

the colleges here are pretty damn good, but the problem is most of the grads then take their energy and knowledge elsewhere in the U.S. ...... or overseas