Am seething after reading this bum article from Forbes.com that takes a cheap shot at Buffalo

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Your skin is way too thin.   The reference to Buffalo is because Brown wants to go to a larger, more cosmopolitan market than Pittsburgh.   Sending him to smaller Buffalo instead would be the ultimate F.U. to a bad teammate...

I took it as it’s a complete downgrade as a football team from Pittsburgh. I agree, this is a lot about nothing. I could be wrong but it may have been Forbes hyping up Buffalo’s renaissance.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

As someone who visits Buffalo regularly I have to say the last 5-10 years have been amazing to watch.

Things are looking better for the city and Erie county.

Keep moving forward.

Yeah, it’s awesome to see. Kinda of embarrassing it took so long but at least it’s happenkng now.  Only downside is Buffalo used to the cheapest place on the planet to visit.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I took it as it’s a complete downgrade as a football team from Pittsburgh. I agree, this is a lot about nothing. I could be wrong but it may have been Forbes hyping up Buffalo’s renaissance.

Yeah, it’s awesome to see. Kinda of embarrassing it took so long but at least it’s happenkng now.  Only downside is Buffalo used to the cheapest place on the planet to visit.

I hear you......it's still cheap but not like it was.

I'm in semi-retirement mode right now and about 8 years ago when the downtown started to come back I came real close on buying

a loft condo for $85,000 which now has over doubled in value.   I was going to rent it out until retirement and live both in Colorado Springs and Buffalo.

I SHOULD OF DONE IT. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I hear you......it's still cheap but not like it was.

I'm in semi-retirement mode right now and about 8 years ago when the downtown started to come back I came real close on buying

a loft condo for $85,000 which now has over doubled in value.   I was going to rent it out until retirement and live both in Colorado Springs and Buffalo.

I SHOULD OF DONE IT. 

My brother and I wanted to buy a couple of houses 5 years ago.  The same houses that were around 150 are basically double now.  We missed out big time. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Brown could do so much for this team, and if process was so important, why did we keep McCoy?  He doesn't meet this model, but we keep him until the end of his contract.  If we picked up Hunt as RB after week 6 and Brown, and possibly two guards in free agency, we immediately change the offense.

I'm not sure that McCoy doesn't meet the model.  I think he does, and that's why were willing to pay him more than he might be worth next season.

I havent lived in Buffalo since 1983..But I visit often. It is a great town.To say the quality of life in Buffalo is lower than in Pittsburgh or Cleveland is a joke.

And since when do people want a city to grow??? all that does is create more traffic/more headaches.

The only thing Pitt has over Buffalo is its football franchise.And guess what?? Football franchises dont give a damn about you.You shouldnt invest more than a tiny bit of yourself in following these stupid teams.Its a diversion...a stress reliever supposedly(well in Buffalo it has the opposite effect).

I would move back to Buffalo in a heartbeat--as long as i could get away from jan1-march31st. I am officially a california weather wimp.

6 minutes ago, Tcali said:

I havent lived in Buffalo since 1983..But I visit often. It is a great town.To say the quality of life in Buffalo is lower than in Pittsburgh or Cleveland is a joke.

And since when do people want a city to grow??? all that does is create more traffic/more headaches.

The only thing Pitt has over Buffalo is its football franchise.And guess what?? Football franchises dont give a damn about you.You shouldnt invest more than a tiny bit of yourself in following these stupid teams.Its a diversion...a stress reliever supposedly(well in Buffalo it has the opposite effect).

I would move back to Buffalo in a heartbeat--as long as i could get away from jan1-march31st. I am officially a california weather wimp.

Buffalo, California is my dream.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Buffalo, California is my dream.  

CB-- I am assuming you are young. Get your foot in the door in CA with some real estate whatever it takes. The market will go up and down.But you have time on your side.And that strategy will pay off...and make that dream come true as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Idandria said:

Maybe the Bills of old led by Ralph Wilson was a horrible place to be sent to. Bad team, cheap owner, bad coaching,  no respect. 

Im probably biased but things are different now. The Pegulas and Beane have a plan. The best is yet to come! 

That Ralph was cheap is a BS narrative... he gave OJ million +, the 90s Bills were known as the million dollar Bills.. million dollar contracts everywhere.. was he cheap then?

he also gave ludicrous contracts to Derrick Dockery in the 2000s.. 7 year 49 million.. one of the largest guard contracts ever at the time .. cheap?

He gave out $$$ to the wrong people... on bad teams

he had no problem giving Mario 100 million or giving Fitz a 65 million dollar extension lol

of course he wasn’t going to spend to the cap  when we had a crappy team, that doesn’t make him cheap . I don’t talk crap about the man who created and kept the Bills in Buffalo for 50 years 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/01/07/teams-that-make-sense-to-trade-for-antonio-brown/#1518a7c25e12

Where the hell did that come from? What makes Pittsburgh so much more desirable than Buffalo? Why is that comment only for Buffalo and not for, say, Detroit? 

Per Forbes.com's own website (this is place for doing business ranking and not a livability ranking - but still are the two cities really that different (#94 vs. #101 - Detroit is #178)?

Buffalo, NY

Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 1,136,100

·         Major Industries: Financial services, Technology, Education

·         Gross Metro Product: $84.7 B

·         Median Household Income: $54,124

·         Median Home Price: $149,000

·         Unemployment: 5.1%

·         Job Growth (2017): 0.8%

·         Cost of Living: 11% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 32.5%

·         Net Migration (2017): -120

Forbes Lists:

#101 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #19 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #169 in Job Growth

·         #84 in Education

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 2,334,800

·         Major Industries: Health care, Technology, Bio-science

·         Gross Metro Product: $158 B

·         Median Household Income: $59,130

·         Median Home Price: $147,000

·         Unemployment: 4.4%

·         Job Growth (2017): 1.1%

·         Cost of Living: 7% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 35.1%

·         Net Migration (2017): 750

Forbes Lists:

#94 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #134 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #184 in Job Growth

·         #66 in Education

Obviously they must never have had to drive in Pittsburgh on snowy/icy days...I have no idea how there aren't 20 car pileups on every street...one block you go up 200 feet and then the next block you go down 200 feet...its ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That Ralph was cheap is a BS narrative... he gave OJ million +, the 90s Bills were known as the million dollar Bills.. million dollar contracts everywhere.. was he cheap then?

he also gave ludicrous contracts to Derrick Dockery in the 2000s.. 7 year 49 million.. one of the largest guard contracts ever at the time .. cheap?

he had no problem giving Mario 100 million or giving Fitz a 65 million dollar extension lol

of course he wasn’t going to spend to the cap  when we had a crappy team, that doesn’t make him cheap . I don’t talk crap about the man who created and kept the Bills in Buffalo for 50 years 

Excellent post. Ralph spent a ton of money and keep the Bills in Buffalo when he could made a ton more money elsewhere.  He is a saint.

19 minutes ago, Tcali said:

CB-- I am assuming you are young. Get your foot in the door in CA with some real estate whatever it takes. The market will go up and down.But you have time on your side.And that strategy will pay off...and make that dream come true as well.

What part of California are you in?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea the 90s were great and I’m forever grateful the team is in Buffalo.. but come on. The team was on a 15 plus year playoff drought when he passed before new ownership got us back. 

Thats the mentality around here I always hated. Our standards are so pathetically low we will take a team being in Buffalo. Who cares if they are any good as long as we have a team.

15 years and no playoffs?   Not something to advertise. 

Edited by Idandria

I always crack up when people refer to Buffalo as some kind of undesirable location.

At this point in my life, I’ve lived in over a dozen places around the country, and visited many more.  Few have been as beautiful as Western NY, and nowhere have the people been as down to earth and just cool to be around.

I’m sure there is some hometown bias there and I get that it’s no Laguna Beach, but it’s an awesome place.  Just look at how much it won over guys like Jim Kelly after they spent time here.

20 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Yea the 90s were great and I’m forever grateful the team is in Buffalo.. but come on. The team was on a 15 plus year playoff drought when he passed before new ownership got us back. 

Thats the mentality around here I always hated. Our standards are so pathetically low we will take a team being in Buffalo. Who cares if they are any good as long as we have a team.

Also, a lot of people around here forget their Buffalo Bills history. There was a franchise before the 90's. And throughout that 30-year period, Ralph was notoriously cheap with players and coaches alike.

To me, the Antonio Brown comments could easily be referring to the football franchises in comparison, and not the cities. In that case, can anyone argue with a Steelers vs. Bills comparison? The silver lining is that just a few quality seasons could radically alter this football perception. Remember that the Steelers were an absolute joke of a sports franchise for its first four decades of existence.

Edited by MichaelAbdallah

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I really liked the “Major Industries” for Buffalo. Financial Services, Technology, Education.

...basically collections, Ingram (which is half call center), and UB. 

Looking great. 

I think that, in addition to M&T (as previously mentioned) they may also be referring to all the back end offices for a number of major banks as part of financial services too.

I forget the exact number of 'em, but there is more than just UB for college in the area too. I'd assume UB is the biggest and brightest, but definitely not the only.

59 minutes ago, Idandria said:

all 3 non-Brady teams in the division have been a total joke for almost all the last 17 or so seasons.

My perception of Buffalo is a bit skewed. Growing up in Maryland, we'd take summer vacations to Pop's(Detroit) and Mom's(Buffalo, specifically Armor.) I grew up loving the area mostly because I was a freaking kid and it was just cool. Wasn't a fan of downtown, but this was the early 90's. Popped back in a few times over the 90's and 2000's and had a great time only because I was attending a Bills game.

Last time I was there was the Raiders game in 2017. Crazy day because the temperature went from 70 to 30 on Sunday. Must say that the city was vastly improved since my time there in the 90's. It's funny that people from places like Pittsburgh or Philly trash Buffalo. I live in Las Vegas because I'm also a weather p word, but Buffalo is definitely improving and no worse than other cities in the region.

I would advise the OP to not let such trivialities affect your mood. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2