Am seething after reading this bum article from Forbes.com that takes a cheap shot at Buffalo

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/01/07/teams-that-make-sense-to-trade-for-antonio-brown/#1518a7c25e12

Where the hell did that come from? What makes Pittsburgh so much more desirable than Buffalo? Why is that comment only for Buffalo and not for, say, Detroit? 

Per Forbes.com's own website (this is place for doing business ranking and not a livability ranking - but still are the two cities really that different (#94 vs. #101 - Detroit is #178)?

Buffalo, NY

Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 1,136,100

·         Major Industries: Financial services, Technology, Education

·         Gross Metro Product: $84.7 B

·         Median Household Income: $54,124

·         Median Home Price: $149,000

·         Unemployment: 5.1%

·         Job Growth (2017): 0.8%

·         Cost of Living: 11% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 32.5%

·         Net Migration (2017): -120

Forbes Lists:

#101 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #19 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #169 in Job Growth

·         #84 in Education

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 2,334,800

·         Major Industries: Health care, Technology, Bio-science

·         Gross Metro Product: $158 B

·         Median Household Income: $59,130

·         Median Home Price: $147,000

·         Unemployment: 4.4%

·         Job Growth (2017): 1.1%

·         Cost of Living: 7% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 35.1%

·         Net Migration (2017): 750

Forbes Lists:

#94 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #134 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #184 in Job Growth

·         #66 in Education

A lot of us got the hell out of western NY as well.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

the Steelers as a franchise are exponentially better to play for

but even that isn’t paradise

Yes, I think that would be the chuckle - sending him from a HOF QB in a franchise with a long track record of success, to a rookie who barely got north of 50% completions in a franchise with a long recent record of mediocrity.

Sort of like KB taking a shot at Cam when he's about to catch passes from Peterman

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, foreboding said:

Buffalo could become Pittsburgh with some more leadership and more Pegula dollars. Downtown Pitt at the 3 rivers is nice. Both cities have nice people.

Buffalo could become Pittsburgh when more industry moves back in.  Pittsburgh has transitioned from a steel mill city, seemingly destined to rot away, to a lively city due to financial and insurance industry having a large presence in the region.  A lot of this also has to do with state taxes, which everything north of NYC is screwed.  So, it will take more than just Pegula dollars; even he can only do so much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

my original intention was to retire to the finger lakes, but I just cant afford to do it.  my in-laws pay a special tax just because they have a view of Lake Keuka.  A view tax.  they're like 5  miles from the actual lake.

what?  oh please tell me you’re kidding.

I work in downtown Pittsburgh,  and it always suprised me how many more tall buildings there are here compared to Buffalo. The skylines are not even close,  a coworker was in Buffalo recently and he was lost,  he couldn't believe there were no tall buildings.  I told him it's because the winds coming off the lake makes it impossible to have them,  he believed me.

• Haha (+1) 3

Why pile on? If you don’t like it here and have moved on, well bully for you! If you’re gone and still complaining that’s more of an indictment of your character than of Buffalo’s.

Buffalo/WNY is a great place to work, live, and raise a family. The sense of community is second to none.

The taxes are somewhat offset by the cost of living. People will always complain about taxes, sure, but when it snows three feet overnight I always make it to work in the morning. My garbage and yard  brush are always taken from the side of the road. Our State University system holds value across the country.

Every city in the country can’t be LA, Dallas or Miami, you do realize this, no?

Don’t tapdance on your roots because you think you’re somehow better than us for leaving. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

I really liked the “Major Industries” for Buffalo. Financial Services, Technology, Education.

...basically collections, Ingram (which is half call center), and UB. 

Looking great. 

Pittsburgh kind of has an amazing history for huge money. The view at the baseball game out to centre is a remarkable display of office towers.

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/01/07/teams-that-make-sense-to-trade-for-antonio-brown/#1518a7c25e12

Where the hell did that come from? What makes Pittsburgh so much more desirable than Buffalo? Why is that comment only for Buffalo and not for, say, Detroit? 

Per Forbes.com's own website (this is place for doing business ranking and not a livability ranking - but still are the two cities really that different (#94 vs. #101 - Detroit is #178)?

Buffalo, NY

Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 1,136,100

·         Major Industries: Financial services, Technology, Education

·         Gross Metro Product: $84.7 B

·         Median Household Income: $54,124

·         Median Home Price: $149,000

·         Unemployment: 5.1%

·         Job Growth (2017): 0.8%

·         Cost of Living: 11% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 32.5%

·         Net Migration (2017): -120

Forbes Lists:

#101 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #19 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #169 in Job Growth

·         #84 in Education

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

At a Glance

·         Population: 2,334,800

·         Major Industries: Health care, Technology, Bio-science

·         Gross Metro Product: $158 B

·         Median Household Income: $59,130

·         Median Home Price: $147,000

·         Unemployment: 4.4%

·         Job Growth (2017): 1.1%

·         Cost of Living: 7% below nat'l avg

·         College Attainment: 35.1%

·         Net Migration (2017): 750

Forbes Lists:

#94 Best Places for Business and Careers

·         #134 in Cost of Doing Business

·         #184 in Job Growth

·         #66 in Education

I blame Johnny Carson, but you should just let it go.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Pittsburgh kind of has an amazing history for huge money. The view at the baseball game out to centre is a remarkable display of office towers.

I love buffalo. Don’t get me wrong. It’s my hometown and generally under rated. But let’s call a spade a spade. Pittsburgh is a cool town with more going for it than Buffalo. They do have a history of money. They also have a world class (top 5-10 in the world of not better) university in Carnegie Mellon. That is in addition to Pitt and Duquesne. Driving there does suck though. 

Cleveland seems to be doing a good job as well. Always seems like there is a lot going on whenever I am there for work. 

31 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

M&T Bank, yo.

Buffalo has some of the most debt collection agencies in the country. We have a low income need, and low skilled workforce. Debt collectors love it here. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Cleveland seems to be doing a good job as well. Always seems like there is a lot going on whenever I am there for work. 

Had a great weekend in Cleve this past summer. If anything, seemed to be catching up to Buffalo a bit. By that I mean they are starting to take off with smaller breweries/restaurants  and  boho style neighborhoods. Also noticed a lot of older buildings in the process of being “reclaimed” for living and working spaces. Very similar to Buff in the last 5-10 years, by drawing people back into the city center from the suburbs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Your skin is way too thin.   The reference to Buffalo is because Brown wants to go to a larger, more cosmopolitan market than Pittsburgh.   Sending him to smaller Buffalo instead would be the ultimate F.U. to a bad teammate...

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Buffalo could become Pittsburgh when more industry moves back in.  Pittsburgh has transitioned from a steel mill city, seemingly destined to rot away, to a lively city due to financial and insurance industry having a large presence in the region.  A lot of this also has to do with state taxes, which everything north of NYC is screwed.  So, it will take more than just Pegula dollars; even he can only do so much.

Yeah. Buffalo is far from the power center where all the (dumb) decisions are made.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I love buffalo. Don’t get me wrong. It’s my hometown and generally under rated. But let’s call a spade a spade. Pittsburgh is a cool town with more going for it than Buffalo. They do have a history of money. They also have a world class (top 5-10 in the world of not better) university in Carnegie Mellon. That is in addition to Pitt and Duquesne. Driving there does suck though. 

Buffalo has some of the most debt collection agencies in the country. We have a low income need, and low skilled workforce. Debt collectors love it here. 

I really like going to Pittsburgh.  Really pretty city. But man, some of the least attractive women of any decent sized city I’ve ever seen. Boston is up there.  For its size, Buffalo has a good collection of cute women.

and generally, people who try to put down cities are losers.  I’ll put my experiences in Buffalo growing up against almost place.  I loved growing up there and imo, it’s in the best shape it’s ever been.  Very proud of the city it’s beckmknf.  It’s taken forever but it’s actually looks like a real city.

• Like (+1) 1