Mike Priefer new ST coach for Browns

https://deadspin.com/vikings-run-out-of-excuses-to-keep-mike-nuke-the-gays-1831681752

"But the Vikings underperformed and missed the playoffs this season—Zimmer’s fifth with the team and Priefer’s eighth—and so a staff shakeup was evidently in the cards. Minnesota’s return and coverage teams were solidly in the upper half of the league by yardage gained and allowed, respectively, but the Vikings missed 10 field goals and finished with a putrid 68.8 conversion rate on attempts, both worst in the NFL. This cost him his job with the Vikings, while being an outspoken homophobe did not."

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess?  But why not take a shot on someone who, I dunno, did a good job coaching ST or as a ST assistant? 

Gotta be someone somewhere.

Admittedly having done zero research, ST coaches seem like QBs. The really good ones never come available. The rest just float around from team to team. 

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess?  But why not take a shot on someone who, I dunno, did a good job coaching ST or as a ST assistant? 

Gotta be someone somewhere.

Coaching is an old boys club.  Guys get fired and rehired all the time.  Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a connection/mutual friend between him and Kitchens.

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m starting to think every ST teams coach sucks. 

I believe you are correct.   Not because they can't coach but there isn't much left to coach.  Next year, I think we'll see the kickoff rules applied to punts - then it'll really be an uncoachable part of the game.  

"Wedge-blocking, employed on 78 percent of kickoff returns last season, was eliminated, as was the 5-yard running start previously afforded to the coverage teams. Players were re-aligned so that only three members of the return team could be more than 15 yards from the restraining line, creating a punt-like environment of running with opponents rather than at them. And officials were instructed to rule the ball dead if it bounced in the end zone, an attempt to encourage players to stand down their blocks earlier."

"The memo reported that injuries on kickoffs have decreased, including zero concussions during the preseason, and noted that wedge blocks have been virtually jettisoned. Contact between blockers, meanwhile, has transferred from high-speed collisions at the back end to slower-speed interactions closer to midfield. Although there has been no final decision, it would require a significant reversal of those trends to prompt the elimination of the kickoff for next season."

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

This year I've found that I don't watch kickoffs anymore and only watched punts when the Bills were punting to see what kind of adventure was about to take place. The league has ruined a part of the game for me.

...and a PERFECT point that leads to my question bud.....shouldn't the job of the ST Coach/Coordinator become EASIER versus HARDER with the rules changes?....if so, shouldn't coaching stats be improving versus declining?....or did I miss the memo?........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy