Rochester Weatherman fired for MLK slur

stuvian

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It could have been that - before the broadcast - someone mentioned Greenberg's "oops," to him and said, "make sure you don't make the same mistake!"

The brain can be funny.

There are responsibilities to having a job on TV

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Uh... The newscasters read from teleprompters.  What's so "objective" about that???  I little small-talk with their co-hosts?

In a lot of instances newscasters still check the content of the teleprompter prior to air time.  Another reason they have to be on the job a few hours ahead of broadcast time along with make up and clothing.  In any event the prep work ahead is to minimize any production problems while on the air.  If this was not happening the broadcasters would not have to hire journalism majors but just could select the most photo friendly faces.  Television would be filled with women who were 30 years old with a pretty face and ideal proportions.  I know it is heading that way but I still see 50 year old guys with weathered faces doing the news at least locally.

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

There are responsibilities to having a job on TV

Of course there are.  And, from what I understand, this person met those responsibilities for decades.  He's human.  He made a mistake.  His firing was absolute BS.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Of course there are.  And, from what I understand, this person met those responsibilities for decades.  He's human.  He made a mistake.  His firing was absolute BS.

But what possessed him to say THAT word?  Why that word?  

Good people thinking terrible thoughts?  Are people supposed to come back from terrible thoughts?  Was it terrible thoughts that put it there?  

Implanted thoughts?  Mods, merge this with Mandela Effect thread... LoL.

8 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

We should be forever grateful to MLK for an extra Monday off every January

Even better when I have to work a holiday!  Holiday Bonus is double time! 

This year I am off though.  I am off,  still get paid normal.  Holiday leave.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But what possessed him to say THAT word?  Why that word?  

Good people thinking terrible thoughts?  Are people supposed to come back from terrible thoughts?  Was it terrible thoughts that put it there?  

Implanted thoughts?  Mods, merge this with Mandela Effect thread... LoL.

Well, you have the hard C sound in King.  You have the "oon," in Junior.    We've all tripped over our words.  I've been known to be too much of a "give the benefit of the doubt," kind of person (especially as I get older).  Perhaps I'm doing that here, but I don't think so.

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A friend landed a job as the time keeper for all events, mainly hockey, st a major sports complex.

he was told the first mistake meant he was fired, he went 16 years and happily resigned 

same thing with TV, first mistake you are toast 

letting fly with a racial joke is beyond insane 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well, you have the hard C sound in King.  You have the "oon," in Junior.    We've all tripped over our words.  I've been known to be too much of a "give the benefit of the doubt," kind of person (especially as I get older).  Perhaps I'm doing that here, but I don't think so.

It’s been a tag line for a racist comment against MLK  since the late 1950s. It’s absolute poison to use it, let alone on TV

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did anybody actually listen to it?  I still haven't heard the actual words.  Is there a link?

He was trying to say Martin Luther King, Jr Park and said Martin Luther ***** before correcting himself. King and Junior mashed together comes out as *****.

According to NBC news five other broadcasters have made the same mistake in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He was trying to say Martin Luther King, Jr Park and said Martin Luther ***** before correcting himself. King and Junior mashed together comes out as *****.

According to NBC news five other broadcasters have made the same mistake in recent years.

They are a penny for six dozen, replaced in two seconds.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Unless you are his employer theres no way to know if it was BS. This might not have been his only strike, just the most public one. The same way social justice warriors push for every mistake to result in s firing the other side seems to think they have all the info they need to say it wasnt fair.

At the end of the day an employer has the right to decide who they want representing them.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Unless you are his employer theres no way to know if it was BS. This might not have been his only strike, just the most public one. The same way social justice warriors push for every mistake to result in s firing the other side seems to think they have all the info they need to say it wasnt fair.

At the end of the day an employer has the right to decide who they want representing them.

Totally agree that we don’t know the background here, but based on what we do know it appears that having the right does not mean it’s the correct thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

Precisely....so why are so many people bent out of shape because Kaepernick is out of work.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

A friend landed a job as the time keeper for all events, mainly hockey, st a major sports complex.

he was told the first mistake meant he was fired, he went 16 years and happily resigned 

same thing with TV, first mistake you are toast 

letting fly with a racial joke is beyond insane 

It’s been a tag line for a racist comment against MLK  since the late 1950s. It’s absolute poison to use it, let alone on TV

I'm saying it was accidental.  If it was a joke, of course it would be a fireable offense.

2 hours ago, MDH said:

I totally agree with everything you said.  I'm just opining that this was an innocent slip of the tongue, as in an accidental merging of sounds.  I'm not saying he accidentally said the word.  I'm saying I think his brain and mouth weren't in sync.  But, as others have stated, I don't know the guy's history, etc.  

18 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Precisely....so why are so many people bent out of shape because Kaepernick is out of work.

but, but...that's different. Oh wait, maybe it isn't. Actually the courts will decide both cases as Jeremy is suing.

20 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I doubt anyone was so upset they couldn’t eat a regular meal for the next 36 hours