Rochester Weatherman fired for MLK slur

stuvian

There was an article in the Democrat I believe that detailed how Mike Greenberg from what was then Mike & Mike said the exact same thing a few years back issued an apology and proceeded to go on with his life. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

social justice warriors have now become the bullies.  They learned nothing

Yeah.....the irony is disgusting. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... So true.  They need humans.

Outside, the sexy eye candy... Why are we still watching live humans deliver the news, weather, and sports?  

I tune to the NOAA weather channel on the marine radio, that is automated.  Heck, I think even the Coast Guard automates the coded MAFORs if a mariner requests them.

My father is 75. When I go over on Sundays for dinner, he absolutely has to put the news on at 6:30. He has an iPhone, Netflix, Prime, etc but absolutely has to have the news on at 6:30 no matter what! Haha!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tierlifer said:

My father is 75. When I go over on Sundays for dinner, he absolutely has to put the news on at 6:30. He has an iPhone, Netflix, Prime, etc but absolutely has to have the news on at 6:30 no matter what! Haha!

I wonder what would happen if they throw AI @ Him!

My inlaws in their 80s.  Buffalo News and MSNBC.  LoL... Their daughter, my sister inlaw... She goes to other TV and puts FOX News on and has religious experience!

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wonder what would happen if they throw AI @ Him!

My inlaws in their 80s.  Buffalo News and MSNBC.  LoL... Their daughter, my sister inlaw... She goes to other TV and puts FOX News on and has religious experience!

My Dad walks my dog for me during the week when I’m at work and leaves me the NY Post every day haha. I send him Mets articles the night before and they are in the print edition the next day and he’s baffled haha !

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Why don't we just automate the news, weather, etc... Do we really need humans anymore for this?

I'm not close to 70 years of age and don't want information automated.  We need objective people to being us the news and other information.  Get away from the MSM being an arm of radical university types.  All that aside I doubt technology has been perfected to the point where errors would not creep up in the presentation of information.  Especially since that info would be inputted by humans.  A human newsperson would be another check to make sure the correct information is given during a broadcast.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm not close to 70 years of age and don't want information automated.  We need objective people to being us the news and other information.  Get away from the MSM being an arm of radical university types.  All that aside I doubt technology has been perfected to the point where errors would not creep up in the presentation of information.  Especially since that info would be inputted by humans.  A human newsperson would be another check to make sure the correct information is given during a broadcast.

Right, even if you automated the system, there would have to be some kind of algorithm to select what constitutes information and that remains ultimately a human interpretive decision. The notion that technology can somehow evade the need for interpretation and thus the conflict of human differences is naive at best.

23 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

My Dad walks my dog for me during the week when I’m at work and leaves me the NY Post every day haha. I send him Mets articles the night before and they are in the print edition the next day and he’s baffled haha !

My father in law used to walk my dog.  At first, he would leave the tv on CNBC because he would watch the stock ticker.  At some point he started watching Fox News instead.  

Getting back back to the original topic,  just say Martin Luther King Junior ten times fast.  Sooner or later you will slur the words.

This weather man’s coworkers probably know whether it could have been an innocent accident or a Freudian slip, but they’re not going to get in the middle of things. 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why don't we just automate the news, weather, etc... Do we really need humans anymore for this?

Sure about that?     

https://www.theclever.com/15-smoking-hot-weather-girls-that-will-bring-sunshine-to-your-day/

Did anybody actually listen to it?  I still haven't heard the actual words.  Is there a link?

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, teef said:

She’s a terrible person. She is currently being sued for slander, (it may not be that exactly) for calling out the president of a charter school as racist.   I’ve heard the story second hand, but apparently the valedictorian of the class didn’t turn his speech in on time, so he wasn’t allowed to do it for graduation. The mayor turned it into race issue. She brought him to city hall to give his speech, and posted it all over social media. She then attacked the president, who lost his job as a result. He had a perfect record, and if I’m not mistaken, started the charter school. Even the student didn’t feel the principal deserved to lose his job. 

In all fairness I may not have the details correct, but we know someone related to the principal, and these were the bits I’ve heard. The lawsuit is public however, and was mentioned on the local news. 

Edit:  the principal resigned as a result. Not fires. 

Karma is a beach. Believe she is being investigated for something to do with campaign contributions. It won't be long before her or one of her inner circle does something much worse than mashing a couple words together by mistake. 

54 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

it can be tough to remove the programming...

It’s been about 12 years of just clicking the weather on my phone, all I really need is the current weather and some kind of weak assurance on a few days from now

And how do you just happen to randomly come up with that for MLK during the 39 seconds you have live on air?

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s been about 12 years of just clicking the weather on my phone, all I really need is the current weather and some kind of weak assurance on a few days from now

And how do you just happen to randomly come up with that for MLK during the 39 seconds you have live on air?

It's not random, it's mistakenly mashing King and junior together. Guy has no history of racism, and do you really think he's going to risk a 6 figure salary job? As has been pointed out, Greenie did pretty much the same thing, apologized and moved on with his life.

21 minutes ago, Steve O said:

It's not random, it's mistakenly mashing King and junior together. Guy has no history of racism, and do you really think he's going to risk a 6 figure salary job? As has been pointed out, Greenie did pretty much the same thing, apologized and moved on with his life.

I don’t know how you could come up with that slur unless you said it privately or got involved with it in reading or other leisure pursuits

People toss away six figure lottery win jobs every hour of the day, they start thinking they are funny and an expert on everything

they are replaceable in two seconds and find it is true  

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I don’t know how you could come up with that slur unless you said it privately or got involved with it in reading or other leisure pursuits

People toss away six figure lottery win jobs every hour of the day, they start thinking they are funny and an expert on everything

they are replaceable in two seconds and find it is true  

It could have been that - before the broadcast - someone mentioned Greenberg's "oops," to him and said, "make sure you don't make the same mistake!"

The brain can be funny.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Uh... The newscasters read from teleprompters.  What's so "objective" about that???  I little small-talk with their co-hosts?