Just How Bad Was Buffalo's Run Game Aside from Josh Allen?

thebandit27

McCoy was ranked 46th out of 47 rbs running the ball, and 52nd out of 53 rbs as a receiver. He was not even a good receiver. The line sucked but McCoy was terrible as well. The fact that he was the highest paid rb in the league makes those rankings even worse.https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb. Even if the Bills can afford to pay him 9 mil next year they need better rbs. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills were 30th in run bocking according to Football Outsiders. It showed. They missed Wood and Richie big time. 

But as I’ve said before, they need to prepare for life without Shady. 

Don't disagree, but then why didn't they move him at the deadline when they had people knocking on the door?

On 1/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

This honestly goes back to my point from other threads.

Even though our offense was bad, when you look closely at it...it was terrible.

The winning of 6 games, two of which by scoring 40 points or more, is downright miraculous.

There was a real reason why Castillo was fired and it should have happened after the 2017 season! I don't know how McD put up with such a bad outcome for so long as he did.

2016 saw the Bills run game #2 in rush attempts, #1 in rush yards, #1 in rush TDs, #1 in yards per carry average. 

To 2017 #4 in rush attempts, #6 in rush yards, #15 in rush TDs, #14 in yards per carry average. 

The Bills did lose Cordy Glenn for most of the season and yet Dion Dawkins filled in very well. How well you ask? PFF graded Dawkins as one of the top five best LTs over the second half of the season.  It was at RG that Miller fell into a hole and was replaced by Vlad Ducasse.  LG Richie Incognito was the lines best player as he only allowed 3 pressures and no sacks or hits. RBs averaged 1.92 yards before contact. 

Without Incognito, Woods it was glaring how bad the line was in 2018 they went from the top ten to #26 with Wyatt Teller only allowed 8 pressures in 8 games. The problem is that while not bad at pass blocking... he stunk at run blocking. Even Dawkins play fell off without the lines best player in Incognito no longer next to him. 

The entire line could be revamped with Dawkins moving to OG or RT.

Although, when you look at the stats week by week the 2018 Buffalo Bills only seemed determined to run the ball when they had the lead and McCoy was hardly being utilized in the run game or pass game for a lot of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

There was a real reason why Castillo was fired and it should have happened after the 2017 season! I don't know how McD put up with such a bad outcome for so long as he did.

2016 saw the Bills run game #2 in rush attempts, #1 in rush yards, #1 in rush TDs, #1 in yards per carry average. 

To 2017 #4 in rush attempts, #6 in rush yards, #15 in rush TDs, #14 in yards per carry average. 

The Bills did lose Cordy Glenn for most of the season and yet Dion Dawkins filled in very well. How well you ask? PFF graded Dawkins as one of the top five best LTs over the second half of the season.  It was at RG that Miller fell into a hole and was replaced by Vlad Ducasse.  LG Richie Incognito was the lines best player as he only allowed 3 pressures and no sacks or hits. RBs averaged 1.92 yards before contact. 

Without Incognito, Woods it was glaring how bad the line was in 2018 they went from the top ten to #26 with Wyatt Teller only allowed 8 pressures in 8 games. The problem is that while not bad at pass blocking... he stunk at run blocking. Even Dawkins play fell off without the lines best player in Incognito no longer next to him. 

The entire line could be revamped with Dawkins moving to OG or RT.

Although, when you look at the stats week by week the 2018 Buffalo Bills only seemed determined to run the ball when they had the lead and McCoy was hardly being utilized in the run game or pass game for a lot of the season. 

and I love McD, Nih, but honestly brother...he's got to pick up on this, and he didn't.  Very frustrating.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, BrotherChazz said:

I saw some numbers yesterday that showed that Ivory had essentially the same number of carries for a loss as McCoy, and I was stunned. Obviously McCoy dances in the backfield more than he would on Dancing with the Stars...but It's definitely an o-line problem. 

What about avg lost yards on those?  It seems when McCoy dances and loses yardage its -3, -5 yards.  Ivory maybe -1, -2...  But it seemed to happen way more with McCoy watching this season so I guess that is surprising still.

Castillo was a major part of our O-Line being horrid this year. I think we can easily get back into the top 5 again with a new O-Line coach, FA pick up and draft pick. For us to make a playoff push next year we will need Allen to take that next step in development and have a top 5 rushing offense. If we have a great draft and FA I am starting to think that we might have a chance to push the Patriots for the division.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What I don’t understand is that normally a mobile qb helps the the running game.  

Depends on how he's used.

A mobile QB will help the run game if the offense incorporates RPO and zone-read concepts that freeze second-level defenders and delay their run fits.  Buffalo did almost none of that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A mobile QB will help the run game if the offense incorporates RPO and zone-read concepts that freeze second-level defenders and delay their run fits.  Buffalo did almost none of that.

Good point. I don’t how why we won’t especially given they started doing more designed qb runs.  I think McCoy would have really benefited from that.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point. I don’t how why we won’t especially given they started doing more designed qb runs.  I think McCoy would have really benefited from that.

I've looked, but I cannot find any source that shows the number of designed QB runs by team.  I'd be really interested to see that breakdown.