Best and worst endings for long running series

Steve O

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

dude, if she is alive she is prolly still sexy as hell!

Even at a young age, I was like that 9 would not be with that 4

Hope you guys aren't into necrophilia, because she is dead as a door nail!

Died not that old too: 70.  Lung cancer, I think she was a smoker.  How come the pretty ones gotta smoke.  Like being smoking ain't enough!

220px-Suzanne_Pleshette_-_1969.jpg

https://www.prwatch.org/news/2008/01/6927/why-dont-we-talk-about-smoking-and-celebrity-deaths

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

.  How come the pretty ones gotta smoke.  Like being smoking ain't enough!

220px-Suzanne_Pleshette_-_1969.jpg

I finally figured that out when i quit in 08 after 23 years a smoker..I was just to damn pretty to have to smoke!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Best: Sopranos  (the ending was foretold by Tony 3 episodes earlier)

Worst: Deadwood. wth?

I don't remember that..or Rome for that matter.

Think both maybe still thought they would come back but just proved to damn expensive to make??? So maybe they were not real "series finales"

BTW, watched the sopranos finale last night

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The Prisoner.... still not sure..... the ending had epic and lousy moments, how did anyone catch the ending that watched it one-and-done in the 1960s????

A top 5 show for me....

I've only seen two episodes.  I was aware of it back in the 1970's but it was incredibly hard to find.  Seems like it was on Saturdays in the evening on some UHF channel that we could only pick up once every three months.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

The Seinfeld finale was fine -- it was a fun look back at lots of characters from over the years.  Jerry couldn't win with that no matter what he did.  It was corny but fun.

It wasn't the best ending to a show, but I don't think that it was as bad as people say it was. I thought it was interesting that the last dialogue segment was the same as the first. 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't remember that..or Rome for that matter.

Think both maybe still thought they would come back but just proved to damn expensive to make??? So maybe they were not real "series finales"

BTW, watched the sopranos finale last night

I didn't think the end of Deadwood was the end.  I can't remember the end of Rome.  For a two year series though, Rome is worth a binge.  

When you look at what the production costs of Game of Thrones must be, it is hard to figure that Rome and especially Deadwood would have been cancelled due to cost.  I have to wonder how they determine what a series is worth.

31 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I've only seen two episodes.  I was aware of it back in the 1970's but it was incredibly hard to find.  Seems like it was on Saturdays in the evening on some UHF channel that we could only pick up once every three months.

yup, the last minute of the closer was quite hectic, had to go back on it a dozen times on DVD to make any sense of it.

Great show.

At the time, lots of folks were annoyed with the ending for LOST.  Most didn't understand it or like it.

Also "The Sopranos"....everyone hated the final episode, particularly the very ending to that episode.

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

At the time, lots of folks were annoyed with the ending for LOST.  Most didn't understand it or like it.

Also "The Sopranos"....everyone hated the final episode, particularly the very ending to that episode.

I haven't watched the show at all, but I hate it for the simple reason that it brought a resurgence to the popularity of Don't Stop Believing. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The Sopranos final 4 seasons were awful.  First 2 were amazing.

The shows and plot threads did not have cohesion and weren't always resolved, and never really satisfactorily.  More of "here is more from those Italian characters you know and love to imitate" 

Like AJ Soprano.  Spend a lot of time with that character in development over the episodes.... why?  what kind of arc was that?  He was worthless and never went anywhere, like the show.

The only reason I kept watching is:

1: to find out how everything would wind back together and see the show become great again

(never happened)

2: see how it all ended with Tony in what would be an iconic finale would he get arrested by the Feds? Family member murders him?  One of his crew murders him?  Rival gang? "Happily ever after?)

(never happened)

Edited by May Day 10

2 hours ago, eball said:

The Seinfeld finale was fine -- it was a fun look back at lots of characters from over the years.  Jerry couldn't win with that no matter what he did.  It was corny but fun.

Yup;  never understood the problem with it.  What else would they have done?  It wasn't a series that had story arcs to be resolved, or big character reveals to be settled.  I always thought it was great.

Sopranos was brilliant, it just took a little while to sink in.  And clearly it didn't appeal to people who require visual evidence of everything.

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I wasn't crazy about the Seinfeld finale.

One of the best was Newhart, which kinda reveals my age.

Thanks for sharing that Newhart ending.  I haven't watched it in ages.

Everything about that scene is true "comedy gold", down to his final comment.

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yup;  never understood the problem with it.  What else would they have done?  It wasn't a series that had story arcs to be resolved, or big character reveals to be settled.  I always thought it was great.

Sopranos was brilliant, it just took a little while to sink in.  And clearly it didn't appeal to people who require visual evidence of everything.

Sopranos was a total copout of a finish.

The worst, the total pits, lower than whale vomit on the ocean floor.

Disgustipating!

• Like (+1) 1