Best and worst endings for long running series

Steve O

The TV shows you want rebooted thread gave me the idea for this one. What long running (2 seasons or more) series had the best endings, and which had the worst? I'm talking about series where the writers actually tried to give a satisfactory ending, not where the series just ended because show was cancelled (Wayward Pines, Revolution, etc.)

My vote for best ending is Breaking Bad. Don't remember ever being so satisfied with an ending.

Worst was one of my favorites...Dexter. Let's face it, all of season 8 was pretty weak, but the ending was really bad.

I absolutely hated the Mash final episode. They decided to remind us of the horror of war instead of giving us a heartwarming homecoming for the characters. For the last few seasons, the show had become filled with messages rather than just being funny, and they decided to double down on it for the final episode.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I wasn't crazy about the Seinfeld finale.

One of the best was Newhart, which kinda reveals my age.

I'm going to have to watch this one again...starting to come back to me.

25 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That was going to be my vote too.  I want them to come back for one more season just to get it right. Great show with a bad ending.

Great idea but I'm not sure how that would be pulled off

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

dude, if she is alive she is prolly still sexy as hell!

Even at a young age, I was like that 9 would not be with that 4

Pleshette was the leading choice for Catwoman on the 1960's Batman television series until Julie Newmar caught a plane to LA to snag the role for herself.  Great as Bob's wife Emily nonetheless.  

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Worst - Seinfeld

Best - St. Elsewhere

St Elsewhere's ending has grown on me somewhat over the years but pissed me off when first shown.  I thought a great series such as that could have done better.  Until the final second ticked away that night I thought in the days leading up to the finale that they would kill off Dr Craig.

worst:  The Sopranos, cheapest gimmick in TV history, no wonder the creative mind ran away for a month to an island

best:  Mary Tyler Moore Show, new owners immediately fire everyone except Ted

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, RochesterRob said:

St Elsewhere's ending has grown on me somewhat over the years but pissed me off when first shown.  I thought a great series such as that could have done better.  Until the final second ticked away that night I thought in the days leading up to the finale that they would kill off Dr Craig.

It was such a great, well-written, well-acted show.  The ending was more of a, "are you ***** kidding me?!?!" moment.  But it's stuck with me for all these years, so I threw it down as the best (to me).

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

worst:  The Sopranos, cheapest gimmick in TV history, no wonder the creative mind ran away for a month to an island

best:  Mary Tyler Moore Show, new owners immediately fire everyone except Ted

As much I enjoyed the ending to Newhart the final MTM episode has it beat.  Who saw everybody getting fired but Ted before it actually played out.  No one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

As much I enjoyed the ending to Newhart the final MTM episode has it beat.  Who saw everybody getting fired but Ted before it actually played out.  No one.

Bob did it like a boss as well...