Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Greg Roman promoted to OC in Baltimore

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:


I meant as LJ's backup.  Familiar with the Roman offense. Probably an upgrade over RG3 at this point with mobility.


Started his career there too.  

Yeah. Definitely would not be surprised to see him end up there as a backup and I understood what you meant. My post wasn't very clear about that. Also must have a good relationship with Harbaugh as they kept him around as Flacco's primary BU for four years. Best landing spot for Tyrod for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Roman was one of the better OC's we've had in Buffalo. Seems like a good fit for Baltimore. I think they're gonna be a really tough team next season. With virtually every team going finesse, they're going old school. What they've done is assembled the proper personnel/coaching staff to play smashmouth defense AND offense. Not an easy task.

 

Not sure if you can win a SB like that anymore, but that's clearly their MO.

 

...odd thing is that rumors were Roman went ballistic when OBD dumped Cassel and he was faced with TT as his QB guy......it does seem to make sense because Wrecks was reportedly responsible for bringing TT in and if he and Roman were at odds, firing seems to fit..........

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dneveu said:

 

The issue with Roman is - its more complex than maybe it needs to be?  Tons of formations, tons of running plays - all this means is it tends to take longer to get plays in.  This gets you to the line late... this makes it harder to set protection, use pre-snap motion, and even get the snap off in time.  It wasn't just Tyrod, he had the same problems in SF.  It's like the opposite of mcvay - who wants you lined up while he's still in the headset.  

 

If he can clean up that aspect of his game-calling i think he'll do just fine.  His offense is tailor made for LJ.  The 3rd read is like... always to run.  You have a high sack rate but tend to actually not lose a ton of yards on the sacks.  Take some deep shots - lots of hitches and out routes.  Easy reads - its there or it isn't.  If it isn't, RUN.

 

 

There is no disagreement that with a qb such as LJ  and Tyrod that you have to simplify your offense. But as I stated in my comments to Gunner unless there is a progression to the qb's (LJ) game the defenses will take away what you are trying to do.  This is the pro game and not the college game where you can get away with constantly running basic plays. Unless Lamar adds to his ability to run an offense he will confront the same limitations that Taylor dealt with. The issue comes down to is how restricted is the OC's play calling because of the limitations of the qb? As I said before Jackson needs to steadily advance his game the more he plays. Tyrod never got beyond his limitations because he just couldn't. When your tool box doesn't have many tools don't be surprised when you have fewer options to make your offense work.  

 

As I stated before a running qb has a shorter shelf life. Just because you can't do something well at the early stages of your qbing career that doesn't mean that you can't expand your game to make you and your offense better. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So is it even certain that Harbaugh is back?

 

Roman got a raw deal in Buffalo.  I still think he’s a good OC.  Really has never had a great QB to work with.  

He must have ****ed Rex or more important people off. My theory. Regardless, Anthony Lynn was very good, and probably made the decision that much easier.

 

Is it me or have Rex's teams been pretty great at ground in pound in this era. He may have a positive influence on the offense. Brought in Tyrod when we were ****Ed at quarterback, and gave us a way better offense overnight. Not to mention he made Thomas friggin Jones an all-pro at Jets 2 straight years.

 

Maybe he doesn't want to admit it but he could have a unique offensive ability.. shrouded by his ego as a defensive Mastermind. Let's see him leave defense to the DC and be involved with offensive personnel and test this one out. We may make a good coach out of Rex yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised how long it took for Roman to resurface. A run game guru.  His departure highlighted how strong of a coach Lynn is.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope, he’s leaving now 

 

 

 

I think they will end up regretting these moves.  Roman is great in designing a run game.  Best in the business.  Not so great in the passing department.  Not so great in being an actual OC.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

 

The issue with Roman is - its more complex than maybe it needs to be?  Tons of formations, tons of running plays - all this means is it tends to take longer to get plays in.  This gets you to the line late... this makes it harder to set protection, use pre-snap motion, and even get the snap off in time.  It wasn't just Tyrod, he had the same problems in SF.  It's like the opposite of mcvay - who wants you lined up while he's still in the headset.  

 

If he can clean up that aspect of his game-calling i think he'll do just fine.  His offense is tailor made for LJ.  The 3rd read is like... always to run.  You have a high sack rate but tend to actually not lose a ton of yards on the sacks.  Take some deep shots - lots of hitches and out routes.  Easy reads - its there or it isn't.  If it isn't, RUN.

 

Tyrod Taylor Reunion?  

Part of the problem has been that even though he was an OC he was really just the run game guy.  Both San Fran and Bills ran offensive plays by committee. I believe this was the case at Stanford too. So they made these play calls through 2 to 3 people.  On top of that Roman would send in like 3 plays at once.  At least that is what I have read in some of the articles.

Edited by Scott7975

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So is it even certain that Harbaugh is back?

 

Roman got a raw deal in Buffalo.  I still think he’s a good OC.  Really has never had a great QB to work with.  

 

He will get the most out of a read-option running QB... Kaepernick, Taylor, and Jackson.

 

The move makes sense.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, eball said:

Until Roman learns how to develop a passer and passing game we've seen how this ends.

Maybe they should stop giving him crappy passers to develop then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He must have ****ed Rex or more important people off. My theory. Regardless, Anthony Lynn was very good, and probably made the decision that much easier.

 

Is it me or have Rex's teams been pretty great at ground in pound in this era. He may have a positive influence on the offense. Brought in Tyrod when we were ****Ed at quarterback, and gave us a way better offense overnight. Not to mention he made Thomas friggin Jones an all-pro at Jets 2 straight years.

 

Maybe he doesn't want to admit it but he could have a unique offensive ability.. shrouded by his ego as a defensive Mastermind. Let's see him leave defense to the DC and be involved with offensive personnel and test this one out. We may make a good coach out of Rex yet!

Yeah. It's strange. The defensive failure was ironically Rex's undoing in Buffalo. If only we had Rex's offense and Schwartz's D!!!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well he did manage to get the best out of TT.  

 

Unfortunately it wasn’t enough and Rex canned his predictable play calling.   

 

 

Yeah, it's funny how things look in retrospect. I was as frustrated with Roman as our OC as anyone. But you know what? It would be pretty interesting to see what he could do with Josh Allen now ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. It's strange. The defensive failure was ironically Rex's undoing in Buffalo. If only we had Rex's offense and Schwartz's D!!!

 

For me, that was by far what was most frustrating about Rex as a coach. On some level I could at least justify Jauron and Chan in that they didn't seem to have much talent to work with. Rex took a great defense and made them the team's weakness.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how far the best defense and the best running game in the NFL would take them? It’ll be interesting to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good hire, remembering who their new QB is. If you are committed to Lamar then Roman is your guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman is the best design running game.  His cuteness, passing game, lack of two minute drive hurts him .

 

But Lamar will get figured out like Colin did. When Roman was there. Ravens might be tought first 10 games but teams going to figure out maybe after that for offense.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 9:22 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

So is it even certain that Harbaugh is back?

 

Roman got a raw deal in Buffalo.  I still think he’s a good OC.  Really has never had a great QB to work with.  

 

As I recall, we had among the most 3 and outs while he was OC. 

 

That is horrible for an offense and negatively affects the defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Mike147
17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. Definitely would not be surprised to see him end up there as a backup and I understood what you meant. My post wasn't very clear about that. Also must have a good relationship with Harbaugh as they kept him around as Flacco's primary BU for four years. Best landing spot for Tyrod for sure.

 

Baltimore could be a good spot for Tyrod to land. He's familiar with the team and is an ideal backup for Lamar Jackson. The only downside is that he would have no chance of earning a starting role with them. So unless Tyrod is willing to accept he is a backup and no more than a backup (he didn't sound happy about that in Cleveland), then it is possible that he tries to sign for a team in which he has a chance at winning the starting position. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 9:22 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

So is it even certain that Harbaugh is back?

 

Roman got a raw deal in Buffalo.  I still think he’s a good OC.  Really has never had a great QB to work with.  

 

Anthony Lynn was able to get more out of him than Roman and his team was able to be Roman's team in playoffs.

I'd say good luck with his promotion but that would be hypocritical since I do not wish Ravens luck and think he is absolutely wrong OC for that QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Roman. He was never the problem in Buffalo just the scapegoat for idiot Rex.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

Anthony Lynn was able to get more out of him than Roman and his team was able to be Roman's team in playoffs.

I'd say good luck with his promotion but that would be hypocritical since I do not wish Ravens luck and think he is absolutely wrong OC for that QB.

1) Lynn might be a really good cosch

 

2) we were top 10 in scoring in Roman’s first year and he got fired after we scored 32 points.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

 

As I recall, we had among the most 3 and outs while he was OC. 

 

That is horrible for an offense and negatively affects the defense.

Couldn’t have been the quarterback who just got benched in Cle’s fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be really interesting to see how Roman would do with a top ten QB in the league and a strong running game.  He'd actually probably be a good fit here sill once we work out or O-line kinks with Allen.

 

 

 

Edited by Real McCoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Kirby Smart is good. Kirk Ferentz is good. Bill O'Brien is good. And Saban was an assistant to Belichick. He's good.

 

Jalen Hurts, however, is not good.  As for the comparison with Kiffin, they averaged 455 yds/game under Kiffin and 444 under Daboll. The difference is negligible. They declined from 38.8 ppg to 37.1, but those numbers are fishy anyway given that the vast majority of the games in both seasons were utter blowouts. 

If you don't think he stinks, I don't know what to say. Guys like that who are good runners come on the scene and fool teams for a season, but they when other teams that are good (Auburn, Georgia) get a lot of film on that player, he will fall apart. He's a terrible thrower, and he's thinking about transferring. He'll never play in the NFL as a starting QB. 

I think you’re going a little board with the Hurts slander.  I’m pretty sure he’s not a NFL Qb but he was one of the top recruits in the country, started for Bama as a true freshman, and won SEC player of the year .  That’s far from he stinks.  

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I think Daboll's past record as an OC is completely uninspiring and does not provide much in the way of evidence that he's a good OC.

 

On the other hand...he went back to the Pats for 4 years then was successful in the college ranks for a year.  People who fail do sometimes learn and grow from the experience and succeed when they get another chance.

 

Time will tell which is true of Daboll.

 

 

 

Huh.  I watched a number of games where I thought the scheme and playcalling were strange.  Situationally inappropriate on the latter and already shown in previous games not to work well for our guys (while other choices worked better).

 

I did feel he improved through the season.

 

But my jury is out, and while I can't say I watched a game where I thought "Daboll is THE problem", I did watch a number of games where I thought "why is he calling that here?" or "why is he still trying to do that?"

I hope you’re right.  I just feel like we’re going to be next year wondering why our offense wasn’t good enough again when there was plenty of proof it won’t be.  That said, it would be a great story if he was successful even though he went to stupid Frannies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Jesus, Mornhinweg has more miles on him than NBA's Larry Brown who just got canned from his 57th coached team, Auxilium Torino  in Italy........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Roman is the best design running game.  His cuteness, passing game, lack of two minute drive hurts him .

 

But Lamar will get figured out like Colin did. When Roman was there. Ravens might be tought first 10 games but teams going to figure out maybe after that for offense.

Ugh forgot about that 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you’re going a little board with the Hurts slander.  I’m pretty sure he’s not a NFL Qb but he was one of the top recruits in the country, started for Bama as a true freshman, and won SEC player of the year .  That’s far from he stinks.  

I hope you’re right.  I just feel like we’re going to be next year wondering why our offense wasn’t good enough again when there was plenty of proof it won’t be.  That said, it would be a great story if he was successful even though he went to stupid Frannies. 

I don't think he stinks as a college player; I think he stinks as a prospect. I also thought he was utterly exposed as a bad thrower when facing Auburn and Georgia, football factories loaded with NFL-level defensive talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×