Greg Roman promoted to OC in Baltimore

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is the best running game coordinator of his generation and as we saw in Buffalo when everyone is drafting defenders to stop the pass there is some merit in being ground and indeed pound. His flaws to me have always been around building a complimentary passing game that is coherent with the rushing offense. It sometimes feels like he has had to stop running his offense for a play to try a pass. He'll do a nice job of hiding Lamar and winning some games, not sure it will do much for trying to develop Lamar to be a franchise Quarterback.

Lamar Jackson is Lamar Jackson as Tyrod Taylor is Tyrod Taylor. You work with what you got . If you don't have a conventional passer you can't devise a conventional offense. How do you have a coherent offense when from a conventional sense you can't have a coherent offense because the running and passing game don't work in tandem? So you do your best to magnify your strengths and minimize your gaping lack of a passing game. 

The issue/problem isn't who the coach is so much as how the offense is constructed. When a qb doesn't have an ability to play a well-rounded game then you as a OC is limited. 

Tyrod couldn't add enough to his (passing and vision) game to advance it. The issue is whether Lamar can add to his (passing and vision) game to advance it. Again, you work with what you got. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Roman was fired the day after the offense put up 393 yards and 31 points against the Jets.

Rex's D gave up 37 points that day in the loss.

CLEARLY this was the offenses' fault.

I agree that that was bizarre, but the offense only put up 24. They got 7 on an INT return. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Lamar Jackson is Lamar Jackson as Tyrod Taylor is Tyrod Taylor. You work with what you got . If you don't have a conventional passer you can't devise a conventional offense. How do you have a coherent offense when from a conventional sense you can't have a coherent offense because the running and passing game don't work in tandem? So you do your best to magnify your strengths and minimize your gaping lack of a passing game. 

The issue/problem isn't who the coach is so much as how the offense is constructed. When a qb doesn't have an ability to play a well-rounded game then you as a OC is limited. 

Tyrod couldn't add enough to his (passing and vision) game to advance it. The issue is whether Lamar can add to his (passing and vision) game to advance it. Again, you work with what you got. 

Roman is the best at hiding QBs, no doubt, he did it with Kap and did it Tyrod and will do it with Lamar. That said even without being able to run a "conventional" passing offense as you term it, I think it IS still possible to run a more coherent scheme where the passing game works off the run game. I think about the Kubaik offense which has successfully been run first and hidden average to bad Quarterbacks and you can do it.  I'm a big Greg Roman fan I just think that it is possible to build a better pass game onto his rush offense. More boot action and throwing from more moving pockets was something I always wanted to see more of with Tyrod. Run it off and out of the same formation and look as the speed pitch plays they ran so effectively and I think you'd get linebackers biting.

Ravens will be looking for a new QB in perhaps 2 years (IMO)........GR will be good to develop more running plays for LJ but you can only focus on the run game for so long......look how LAC contained him....it wont be long before more teams are able to do the same......LJ now is pretty mediocre at passing....cant see him being anything more than just avg at the passing game.....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He is the best running game coordinator of his generation and as we saw in Buffalo when everyone is drafting defenders to stop the pass there is some merit in being ground and indeed pound. His flaws to me have always been around building a complimentary passing game that is coherent with the rushing offense. It sometimes feels like he has had to stop running his offense for a play to try a pass. He'll do a nice job of hiding Lamar and winning some games, not sure it will do much for trying to develop Lamar to be a franchise Quarterback.

I agree but I'll add something I heard somewhere....

Roman has more IQ than EQ.  He doesn't always build the kinds of relationships with his position coaches and players that bring out their best.  Roman does his best work alone in his office, breaking down film and drawing ideas up on his whiteboard.  

This observation, if true, seems to explain what we saw with the Bills where the Bills offense was more productive just after he left.  They continued to use Roman's run concepts and play designs but ALynn was in the leadership role.  

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also thought they scored on a muffed kickoff punt... or had great field position. I just remember the fumble. 

Nope, not according to the game log. I think you're thinking of the Jets game  on Monday night in 2014 when Boobie Dixon blocked a punt. 

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Roman has more IQ than EQ.  He doesn't always build the kinds of relationships with his position coaches and players that bring out their best.  Roman does his best work alone in his office, breaking down film and drawing ideas up on his whiteboard.  

This observation, if true, seems to explain what we saw with the Bills where the Bills offense was more productive just after he left.  They continued to use Roman's run concepts and play designs but ALynn was in the leadership role.  

To be fair, his offense in SF was very good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think Roman is a bit of a mad scientist type, yep. The other thing Lynn did was install fewer plays each week. Roman would install a very high volume and the view at the end was the players were not executing as well as they could due to that volume.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Roman is a bit of a mad scientist type, yep. The other thing Lynn did was install fewer plays each week. Roman would install a very high volume and the view at the end was the players were not executing as well as they could due to that volume.

I'd forgotten about that but you're right.

I wonder if Roman would be better suited as a run-game consultant than an OC.  

Master at the vrun game , probably as good as it gets in the NFL. 

If they maintain an elite defense, that's a tough outing for any team . But if you're going to go on a playoff run, you're going to run into some teams where you have to pass to win.

LA just did what every team did against us in 2015, ,sell out to stop run and make Taylor beat you with his arm. And Tyrods a better passer than Lamar imo.

Edited by JerseyBills