Barbarian's Mock 2

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The OL is the priority and so is upgrading the offense in general to put our young and strapping qb in a position to succeed. 

The OL can be fixed in free agency. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

There are a lot of good names on this list.

Ramon Foster - PFF's 15th best OG in 2018

Roger Saffold - PFF's 7th best OG

Matt Slauson - PFF's 19th best OG

Mark Glowinski - PFF'S 13th best OG

Mitch Morse and Matt Paradis would both be huge upgrades at center. Daryl Williams had an excellent season for Carolina at RT in 2017 but was injured all of last year.

Value at the top of the draft this year is not offensive linemen, and rookie offensive linemen tend to struggle anyways. I want Allen surrounded by veterans even if we have to overpay.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The OL can be fixed in free agency. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

There are a lot of good names on this list.

Ramon Foster - PFF's 15th best OG in 2018

Roger Saffold - PFF's 7th best OG

Matt Slauson - PFF's 19th best OG

Mark Glowinski - PFF'S 13th best OG

Mitch Morse and Matt Paradis would both be huge upgrades at center. Daryl Williams had an excellent season for Carolina at RT in 2017 but was injured all of last year.

Value at the top of the draft this year is not offensive linemen, and rookie offensive linemen tend to struggle anyways. I want Allen surrounded by veterans even if we have to overpay.

The problem that the Bills are going to confront in attempting to shore up their OL in free agency is that there are a number of teams that are also desperate to build up their lines. The Bills have the cap wherewithal to pay for line players, and so do other teams. Houston and Jacksonville are desperate for  linemen. Jacksonville's collapse was as much due to their injured line that took them out of the running. Bortles is Bortles and receives most of the attention associated with the collapse of the Jaguars. But the main contributor for their precipitous decline from a near SB run last year was the faltering of their line, much of it because of injuries. The same desperate need applies to Houston who wants to protect their most valuable asset in Watson. 

The model to follow is Indy. They drafted Nelson who will be a perennial all-star and if healthy a HOF candidate with a high pick in the first round and then with a second round pick selected a G/T from Auburn. Both started. The priority was obvious of protecting Luck so that he can function at a high level and stay healthy. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing against taking a serious run at line players in free-agency. But in my view we also need to consider upscale line talent from the draft such as Bama's Josh Williams and WV's Cajuste. I personally favor Williams because he can play every position on the line. Versatility is a talent. 

If you want to address an issue the best way to do it is to just do it!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The problem that the Bills are going to confront in attempting to shore up their OL in free agency is that there are a number of teams that are also desperate to build up their lines. The Bills have the cap wherewithal to pay for line players, and so do other teams. Houston and Jacksonville are desperate for  linemen. Jacksonville's collapse was as much due to their injured line that took them out of the running. Bortles is Bortles and receives most of the attention associated with the collapse of the Jaguars. But the main contributor for their precipitous decline from a near SB run last year was the faltering of their line, much of it because of injuries. The same desperate need applies to Houston who wants to protect their most valuable asset in Watson. 

The model to follow is Indy. They drafted Nelson who will be a perennial all-star and if healthy a HOF candidate with a high pick in the first round and then with a second round pick selected a G/T from Auburn. Both started. The priority was obvious of protecting Luck so that he can function at a high level and stay healthy. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing against taking a serious run at line players in free-agency. But in my view we also need to consider upscale line talent from the draft such as Bama's Josh Williams and WV's Cajuste. I personally favor Williams because he can play every position on the line. Versatility is a talent. 

If you want to address an issue the best way to do it is to just do it!

Luckily free agency comes before the draft so we will know what our needs are by then. But they're going to go BPA regardless. Jonah Williams IMO is overrated. He will not be BPA at #9. If we don't trade down I expect us to draft a defensive lineman. That is likely where the value will be. If we trade down and take Williams that would be a good move.

Other teams don't have the cap space that we have. Houston for example is working with $16 million less than us. I don't expect us to spend to the cap but we have room to make 1 or 2 big splash signings, and looking at the list of free agents I think the biggest signings in the NFL will be offensive linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Yav said:

Wrong. N’Keal Harry is a top 10 pick. 

i think a lot of people will be surprised how high these wrs go.  every team with a rookie qb is looking to add weapons for their young qbs.

there are also a lot of other teams thin at that position and with a poor fa class, wr is gonna be the rage after the top 6-10 picks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2019 at 1:05 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Using Drafttek

1. WR DK Metcalf 6'4" 225 Ole Miss

2. OT David Edwards 6'7" 315 Wisconsin

3. OG Chris Lyndstrom 6'3" 307 Boston College

4. TE TJ Hockenson 6'4" 250 Iowa

4. DT Olive Sagapolu 6'2" 345 Wisconsin

5. DE Chase Winovich 6'3" 245 Michigan

5. CB Rock Ya-Sin 6'2" 190 Temple

6. OLB Ben Burr-Kiven 6'0" 221 Washington

7. Punter Mitch Wishnowsky 6'2" 220 Utah

I tried to improve on this last night because I feel like taking any of the available WRs at #9 is a reach, but anytime I took an impact defensive player first it kind of threw the whole thing off. The ideal situation is if Buffalo can trade down for an extra pick.

If they take an impact defensive player I am thinking DT that can make tackles for a loss (thinking run stopping issues)  behind the lind of scrimmage:

1. DT Christian Wilkins  6'4" Clemson (or Dexter Lawrence there are more than a few impact DTs here BPA)

then one of the several bigger receivers available this year with enough speed and decent hands should still be available in the early 2nd:

2.  A J Brown, or Riley Ridley - Brown may not drop so far, but Ridley should be about there.

So in the 3rd you take a chance on the deep TE class and go for the best offensive linemen available.

3. OT Edwards or OG Deiter from a good Badger program or maybe Risner from Kansas. I like your Edwards pick as he is a road grader at RT, my interior picks here are guys that have played well in other positions across the line so good depth or ability to plug holes missed in FA

We both land on TE here, but there is no way Hock (if he declares) drops to the 4th regardless of what drafttek says he will be gone by the early 3rd round, as will Fant (not a fan), and Albert Akwue...., Caleb Wilson just does not seem to have the quickness on film that I have seen on his write ups, looks slow out of his breaks... here is where I hope someone like Oliver falls.

4. TE Josh Oliver 6'5" 250 San Jose State Not used as much as he could have been, but an ex-basket ball forward, a lot of athleticism and you can see the snow boarder with the unique size and balance in the film.

4. EDGE D'Andre Walker 6'3" 245 Georgia - Looking to groom that guy that can play some edge rushing and perhaps begin to spell Hughes so he can keep that motor going.

5. OT Max Scharping 6'6" Northern Illinois - pretty solid prospect in a draft without a lot of offensive stars. The best thing about Scharping is that he doesn't get a lot of attention which is usually a good thing for o-linemen.

5. CB Iman Marshall 6'0" USC or JoeJuan Williams 6'2" 205 Vanderbilt is an intriguing DB for his size and coverage skills could also project to safety in NFL if he bulks up a bit.

6. DT Chris Slayton 6'4" 309 Syracuse - DT depth and we need to cycle guys in as we will be hurting without Kyle so grabbing 2 interior DTs in this draft.

7. There is rarely a run on punters, but we need one and why not if Mitch is there.

My UFA sleeper is Jalen Hurd - 6'4" 230 WR Baylor - I think the kid has been a bit black-listed because he refused to stay in a RB role for Tennessee and transferred to Baylor to play WR. As a big upright target, the kid was taking a pounding at RB at Tennessee and they would not move him, but he is a naturally gifted athlete and pretty much was the multi-tool kit offensive weapon for Baylor and no team issues.

He definitely has some rough edges as he just converted to the position not too long ago, but has shown a very fast learning curve with great athleticism and size, and from the RB background he has exceptional RAC.

Will be interesting kid to watch in the senior bowl.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/29/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jalen-hurd/

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I love N'Keal!!!! Just because you or I feel he's worthy of being a Top 10 pick doesn't mean it will be. Reason? Most teams who are breaking in a new QB go through FA and later rounds of the draft to get their receivers. WRs for the most part take 2-3 years to fully understand the game and develop chemistry with their QB though there are exceptions. But those usually have seasoned vet QBs like Brees/Thomas, Big Ben/JJ, Ryan/Jones, Rivers/ Allen. Taking a WR at 9 when there so many other needs is not smart from a GM perspective. He may very well be a first rounder and even a Top 10 Target but I don't see it being Buffalo. It would be Sammy Watkins all over again and Sammy was a better prospect than any of the WRs in this draft.

Take a look at some of those mock drafts. I’ve seen him mocked to 49ers and many believe he’s a top 10 pick right now. 

As always things will will change with the combine results but as of right now this kid is a top 10 pick. 

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think a lot of people will be surprised how high these wrs go.  every team with a rookie qb is looking to add weapons for their young qbs.

there are also a lot of other teams thin at that position and with a poor fa class, wr is gonna be the rage after the top 6-10 picks.

Harry is the best WR in this draft. He’s a very special talent. 

39 minutes ago, Yav said:

Take a look at some of those mock drafts. I’ve seen him mocked to 49ers and many believe he’s a top 10 pick right now. 

As always things will will change with the combine results but as of right now this kid is a top 10 pick. 

I am not a N'Keal Fan as i just cannot see the separation in his film so I have questions about how his speed and quickness translate into his pro game.

So before the loyal followers of N'Keal freak out, folks are allowed their opinions, some if not most of us will be wrong.

For my own ranking of WRs, I am willing to wait to see what his 40 time looks like at the combine, but I am thinking he will be around 4.57 or 4.58 which is probably not game-changing speed. If he shows more, I am open to being convinced as he has been a very productive college player - we will see. 

IMO there are no real exceptional WRs in this draft that just jump off the tape at you, but there are a handful of good WR's then a pretty quick drop. Admittedly, with how weak the QB play has been this year, perhaps there are a few of these guys have not been able to showcase their abilities.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, Iamkrgr said:
I would be 100% ok with this draft...

9: R1P9

OT JONAH WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
41: R2P9

WR DEEBO SAMUEL
SOUTH CAROLINA
71: R3P7

C ELGTON JENKINS
MISSISSIPPI ST
113: R4P11

TE T.J. HOCKENSON
IOWA
133: R4P31

RB RODNEY ANDERSON
OKLAHOMA
149: R5P10

EDGE JALEN JELKS
OREGON
159: R5P20
WR ANTHONY JOHNSON (UB)
BUFFALO
184: R6P9

G CODY FORD
OKLAHOMA
224: R7P8

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA
230: R7P14

C JESSE BURKETT
STANFORD

I would not mind if it goes like this, but in a defensive talent heavy draft I don't see McBeane going with this much offense, rather hitting FA to fill a bunch of holes there.

Rodney Anderson goes a bit early considering he has to come back from injury and has a history of injuries, but I like the kid and his heart.

I don't see Bama's Irv Smith Jr. lasting till the 7th, many mocks have him going in the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am not a N'Keal Fan as i just cannot see the separation in his film so I have questions about how his speed and quickness translate into his pro game.

So before the loyal followers of N'Keal freak out, folks are allowed their opinions, some if not most of us will be wrong.

For my own ranking of WRs, I am willing to wait to see what his 40 time looks like at the combine, but I am thinking he will be around 4.57 or 4.58 which is probably not game-changing speed. If he shows more, I am open to being convinced as he has been a very productive college player - we will see. 

IMO there are no real exceptional WRs in this draft that just jump off the tape at you, but there are a handful of good WR's then a pretty quick drop. Admittedly, with how weak the QB play has been this year, perhaps there are a few of these guys have not been able to showcase what their abilities.

His 40 time isn’t going to impress. He does play faster than his 40 and what you really need to watch is his catch radius and his ability to win the contested catches. He does get separation with good route running, that being said he will need to learn more routes but his footwork and hands are great. Rice and Fitz weren’t the fastest but they made/make up for that with good routes and strong hands. 

I would compare Harry to Bolin. He’s a big body WR that has good footwork, strong hands, excellent catch radius and will go up and get the ball. 

I personally hope the Bills don’t draft a single player from Alabama. They always seem to be hurt due to playing so much at the college level and the track record with the Bills isn’t good. 

46 minutes ago, Yav said:

If you look back on my post I said he may very well be a Top 10 pick, just not for the Bills at 9. Not with OL and DL needing much attention and the talent at those positions that will be available at #9.

3 minutes ago, Yav said:

His 40 time isn’t going to impress. He does play faster than his 40 and what you really need to watch is his catch radius and his ability to win the contested catches. He does get separation with good route running, that being said he will need to learn more routes but his footwork and hands are great. Rice and Fitz weren’t the fastest but they made/make up for that with good routes and strong hands. 

I would compare Harry to Bolin. He’s a big body WR that has good footwork, strong hands, excellent catch radius and will go up and get the ball. 

Fair enough.

Whoever they target as wide receivers I am primarily looking in this draft for guys that catch with their hands, high-point the ball, good catch radius, and attitude to compete. I am not seeing a lot of blazing speed with these larger receivers, but there is good speed.

That is why I do not mind if they grab a TE or two from this draft where the pool is deep. They will not be blowing by DBs, but if they have great hands and can out-compete for the ball, and throw in some blocking on the edge, they would be a reliable outlet for Allen and maybe pitch in a bit springing our running game.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:05 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Using Drafttek

7. TE Jace Sternberger 6'4" 250 Tex A&M

No chance, they are 1 million% going defense in the first. 

26 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

If you look back on my post I said he may very well be a Top 10 pick, just not for the Bills at 9. Not with OL and DL needing much attention and the talent at those positions that will be available at #9.

I know you said he might be...I just think the Bills can address some of their OL needs in FA. I really don’t like the idea of Alabama players especially at 9. They are very talented but worn out and seem to be injury prone. 

If the Bills can address OL in FA, then Harry at 9 would be a great fit. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:05 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Using Drafttek

7. TE Jace Sternberger 6'4" 250 Tex A&M

I love OT, OG, TE rounds 2-4, but I don't like Metcalf at all.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Luckily free agency comes before the draft so we will know what our needs are by then. But they're going to go BPA regardless. Jonah Williams IMO is overrated. He will not be BPA at #9. If we don't trade down I expect us to draft a defensive lineman. That is likely where the value will be. If we trade down and take Williams that would be a good move.

Other teams don't have the cap space that we have. Houston for example is working with $16 million less than us. I don't expect us to spend to the cap but we have room to make 1 or 2 big splash signings, and looking at the list of free agents I think the biggest signings in the NFL will be offensive linemen.

When considering and evaluating Jonah Williams don't fall into the combine mentality trap of excessively rating a player based on athletic talents. There is no  doubt that he isn't physically imposing or the most athletic lineman to be considered. But if one places the emphasis on position skill and technical skills such as footwork and positioning he should be rated very highly. 

Just because Williams doesn't measure as well as some of the other player he is an excellent football player. Ask yourself how many freshman have started for Saban at his elite program and then started for four years? If he is taken at the nine spot by us I will be ecstatic.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

When considering and evaluating Jonah Williams don't fall into the combine mentality trap of excessively rating a player based on athletic talents. There is no  doubt that he isn't physically imposing or the most athletic lineman to be considered. But if one places the emphasis on position skill and technical skills such as footwork and positioning he should be rated very highly. 

Just because Williams doesn't measure as well as some of the other player he is an excellent football player. Ask yourself how many freshman have started for Saban at his elite program and then started for four years? If he is taken at the nine spot by us I will be ecstatic.  

Exactly. Joe Thomas didn't test top notch either, but was a great football player. Sometimes you don't wanna overthink certain players and Williams is probably one of em.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, PaattMaann said:

Would be THRILLED with this draft, but I have a feeling McBeane stays away from Oliver due to character concerns. If we sub out another D player, edge rusher or something in that spot that would be on par too. Harry in the second and anthony johnson? Yes please. Hopefully we bulk up the o-line during FA (expected) if that looks like our draft. Nice job. 

Its hard to believe Harry will go in the second. That would be simply incredible, and i would fully support this draft

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Four year starters in the SEC come with a lot of wear and tear. I’m not opposed to it, i just wouldn’t want to take him at 9. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:58 AM, GunnerBill said:

Punters are people too!

Only because we need one <_<

On 1/11/2019 at 6:32 AM, JM57 said:

1) I want nothing to do with DK Metcalf, especially at #9. Raw, injury, Ole Miss WR...too many negatives to outweigh his abilities

2) Based on what we know right now, that is, without him getting hurt or absolutely bombing workouts, I'll eat a shoe if Chase Winovich makes it to round 3 let alone 5.

Ahhh it's just a neck injury, no biggie ;) . Metcalfe has elite talent so its worth it.

That's were they had Winovich ranked.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:46 AM, JM57 said:

Just did this one on FanSpeak. Would have liked to address RB earlier but it just didn't shake out properly for that. Only doubled up on WR with Anthony Johnson because he was BPA by almost 20 spots on the big board.

9: R1P9

DL ED OLIVER
HOUSTON
41: R2P9

WR N'KEAL HARRY
ARIZONA STATE
71: R3P7

G CONNOR MCGOVERN
PENN STATE
113: R4P11

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON
BUFFALO