Deep draft at TE this year

As mentioned above, Zach Gentry is an interesting option.  He went to Michigan as a highly-touted 6'7" athletic QB.  Harbaugh saw a much better future for Gentry as a TE and converted him.  Although he's had a couple of bad drops this season (in particular against Ohio State), he has been productive over the last couple of years.  The last Michigan QB converted to TE to play in the NFL was the Bills' own Jay Riemersma, who was a pretty good player.  Gentry has a higher ceiling than Jay, as he is bigger and more athletic.  Could be a good fit for the Bills.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

6'8" 260, can block and catch.....what's not to love?

3 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Hockenson is by far the best all around TE to come out in the last few years.

Funny thing is, he’s a taller more athletic Dallas Witten. 

Hopefully Dallas Witten is Jason’s even better brother? 

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

As mentioned above, Zach Gentry is an interesting option.  He went to Michigan as a highly-touted 6'7" athletic QB.  Harbaugh saw a much better future for Gentry as a TE and converted him.  Although he's had a couple of bad drops this season (in particular against Ohio State), he has been productive over the last couple of years.  The last Michigan QB converted to TE to play in the NFL was the Bills' own Jay Riemersma, who was a pretty good player.  Gentry has a higher ceiling than Jay, as he is bigger and more athletic.  Could be a good fit for the Bills.

I like Gentry's upside, but he never really seemed to make plays. Screwed up in the OSU game bigtime. I think he's got some potential, but I wouldn't go any higher than a 5th.

I'd be more inclined to draft an athletic TE like Smith or Wilson and sign a guy like Maxxxxx Williams in FA'cy. 

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Really like Irv Smith but we won’t be in a position to get him most likely.   He’ll go later in round 1

I like Smith also but leaning towards a Round 3 grade at this stage...

If they miss out then so be it... there will be quality guys available still on Day 3..

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Definitely expect them to draft one with the depth.  Plenty of options but I think you could get a really good one in the second round.

I agree. Depending on which route they take and how things fall in the draft I wouldn't mind trading back and grabbing 1 if need be. Could also possible land a good 1 in the 3rd depending on how things fall.