YoloinOhio

Bengals set to hire Zac Taylor as HC

As someone who loves the trend of bring young offensive coaches, this is going too far.  Especially on that team of scumbags.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

As someone who loves the trend of bring young offensive coaches, this is going too far.  Especially on that team of scumbags.  

Yep they jumped the shark imo

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

They are clearly prioritizing a guy who has a lot of experience working directly with the quarterback.  Seems like a good trait to have as a HC.

Sure... but you might want to make sure you don’t make it the only factor. He might be good but at some point you want to ensure a guy isn’t totally in over his head. And experience working with QBs isn’t equal to accomplishment. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This seems like a silly hire, but it’s still way better of a hire than any of us expected from the Bengals.

so... good job?.... I guess?

Just now, whatdrought said:

This seems like a silly hire, but it’s still way better of a hire than any of us expected from the Bengals.

so... good job?.... I guess?

When the fan base is crying “anything but Marvin or Hue”, you can’t go wrong. They probably hired the least experienced guy so they could pay the least. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

When the fan base is crying “anything but Marvin or Hue”, you can’t go wrong. They probably hired the least experienced guy so they could pay the least. 

Im still surprised it wasn’t Vance Joseph or Hue Jackson. 

If one of these underqualified head coach hires works out, I bet Byron Leftwich ends up getting a HC gig next year.  So far 7/8 hires have been white. 

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is his resume. Crazy:

Hes also part of Mike Sherman Tree... by virtue of schtupping Sherman’s daughter... 

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

They are clearly prioritizing a guy who has a lot of experience working directly with the quarterback.  Seems like a good trait to have as a HC.

..but not the only trait.  Maybe not in top 10.

Saw him on the cover of TigerBeat a couple times. Seems like a nice enough kid. Not sure about his ability to coach a football team.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep they jumped the shark imo

Sure... but you might want to make sure you don’t make it the only factor. He might be good but at some point you want to ensure a guy isn’t totally in over his head. And experience working with QBs isn’t equal to accomplishment. 

Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he doesn’t mean he’s in over his head. How can anyone make a good opinion on the hire before the guy even speaks a word. McVay was thought of in the same way but then the guy opened his mouth and knowledge poured out. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he doesn’t mean he’s in over his head. How can anyone make a good opinion on the hire before the guy even speaks a word. McVay was thought of in the same way but then the guy opened his mouth and knowledge poured out. 

I’m not basing that comment on his age. I’m basing it on his resume. No, Mcvay was not thought of in the same way. He was actually an OC with the Redskins before going to the Rams. You are focusing on the age part. I am not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not basing that comment on his age. I’m basing it on his resume. No, Mcvay was not thought of in the same way. He was actually an OC with the Redskins before going to the Rams. You are focusing on the age part. I am not. 

Zac Taylor was an OC too...

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Zac Taylor was an OC too...

At UC. Not even a power 5 school. 1 year! 

Are you saying that’s the same as McVay’s background?

Edited by YoloinOhio

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Man, I swear...this is the year me to go "huh, Who?" to a record number of coaching hires.

At least the number of retreads getting a probably undeserved second or third swing is down...

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It isn't McVay level qualification but he was also interim OC and called plays when Dan Campbell was interim HC in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I did not say that. I said McVay was thought of as a questionable young hire.  He brought a fire to LA.  My main point was how can we judge the guy based on his resume alone.  McVay would have sold me in ten minutes of listening to him talk.  I'll make my judgement when I listen to the man talk.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't McVay level qualification but he was also interim OC and called plays when Dan Campbell was interim HC in Miami. 

To me, it’s maybe ok for an OC gig next. That’s just me.