Bengals hire Zac Taylor as HC (Update - can’t find a DC)

YoloinOhio

Everyone wants the next McVay but McVay is a ?

I was sceptical when when they hired him at the age of 31 (I think) but the more I learn about him the more I think this guy is a very special coach. Already one of the best..

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 4

This is his resume. Crazy:

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is a bit of a surprise given he is only 35 and very little experience. But he was OC at UC a couple years ago so there is that. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

This is his resume. Crazy:

? Must be a really good interviewer. And he’s connected with Sean McVay on LinkedIn so 

• Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

Everyone wants the next McVay but McVay is a ?

I was sceptical when when they hired him at the age of 31 (I think) but the more I learn about him the more I think this guy is a very special coach. Already one of the best..

I would be looking for the next Anthony Lynn, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich 

• Like (+1) 2

Wow. Big jump from QB coach to HC. A lot of these hires have been boom or bust. Everyone is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

Just a few years ago there was a huge premium on NFL coaching experience. Those days are gone (at least until this fad runs it's course).

I imagine the interview went something like this.

Mike Brown: What can you bring to the Bengals organization ?

Zac Taylor: I know Sean McVay

Mike Brown: ...........let me get my checkbook

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His brother is also qb coach of the eagles 

The Taylor Bros ..... Ryan Bros 2.0 - Offense-style ???

Spoon fed coaching positions.  Climbing the ladder due to association.   Hmmmm.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They'll need to find a really good, experienced DC.  I don't buy that they're a dime a dozen, either.

I assume they will go with Vance Joseph who was their DB coach a few years ago. He was a good DB coach but as DC in Miami I was unimpressed.

Just looking at the names of some of his family members makes me hate him.  I'm sure if one digs deep enough, they'll find a Biff, Skip and a Mitt:

Taylor is married to Sarah Sherman, daughter of a former Green Bay Packer head coach Mike Sherman, and they have four children: Brooks, Luke, Emma Claire, and Milly. Taylor's younger brother, Press Taylor, was a quarterback for Marshall University and is currently the quarterback coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Taylor's father, Sherwood, was a defensive back and captain for Oklahoma and head coach Barry Switzer from 1976-1979. His sister, Kathryn, is a Special Olympics swimmer. His youngest sister Quincy resides in Oklahoma City.[12]

• Haha (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow. Big jump from QB coach to HC. A lot of these hires have been boom or bust. Everyone is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

Just a few years ago there was a huge premium on NFL coaching experience. Those days are gone (at least until this fad runs it's course).

Broncos and Bucs went old. I really think it depends on the organization and what they just went through and i think a lot of teams are going for the best fit regardless of age.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Just looking at the names of some of his family members makes me hate him.  I'm sure if one digs deep enough, they'll find a Biff, Skip and a Mitt:

Taylor is married to Sarah Sherman, daughter of a former Green Bay Packer head coach Mike Sherman, and they have four children: Brooks, Luke, Emma Claire, and Milly. Taylor's younger brother, Press Taylor, was a quarterback for Marshall University and is currently the quarterback coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Taylor's father, Sherwood, was a defensive back and captain for Oklahoma and head coach Barry Switzer from 1976-1979. His sister, Kathryn, is a Special Olympics swimmer. His youngest sister Quincy resides in Oklahoma City.[12]

And you hate those names why??