Bengals hire Zac Taylor as HC (Update - can’t find a DC)

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The comparison that seemed to go over your head was Fisher to another long time coach, Marvin Lewis. It was the first line of the reply...

Cincy is a team that is in no mans land with Dalton. I think they know that and will be looking to move on soon, wouldn’t it be nice to have a guy who has worked with QBs for the better part of his career to potentially help a rookie QB? I’m not saying the guy will be good at all but to trash him before he even coaches a game or we know anything about the direction they are taking the team, is just too much of a knee-jerk reaction for me. 

Then make him QB coach.  Making him HC makes no sense for the purpose you are describing.  

On 2/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Then make him QB coach.  Making him HC makes no sense for the purpose you are describing.  

Agree to disagree. For the record, I’m not saying he will be a good coach, I’m saying that I think that the risk in this move is more calculated than fans are willing to admit. Having a HC that gets the best out of their QB is one of the top attributes to have IMO and one that very few defensive coaches and some offensive coaches don’t have. 

That being said, what do they do with Dalton? If Dalton stays for more than a year, I’d be surprised. 

18 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I thought they couldn't block a promotion? Defensive coordinator >>> Defensive Backs coach, no?

It’s not considered a promotion to the league unless it’s to HC. All assistants are same level when it comes to ability to block interviews.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I did not realize that even coordinators were considered lateral positions

One thing to remember about when teams block interviews is that sometimes, they do it at the request of the coach who isn’t interested in the opening but doesn’t want to burn any bridges. So the team covers for the coach.  Not saying that is the case here but it could be, especially with the litany of declines they have had. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

One thing to remember about when teams block interviews is that sometimes, they do it at the request of the coach who isn’t interested in the opening but doesn’t want to burn any bridges. So the team covers for the coach.  Not saying that is the case here but it could be, especially with the litany of declines they have had. 

I suppose. But, if I were offered an interview for a better paying job, but at a less pleasant place of employment, I wouldn't really care what bridge I burned if I declined. I mean, we're not talking Josh Daniels/ Indy here. I understand the NFL and the "club" part of it, but hell, he may not even have been offered the position after interviewing. Just my random 2 cents...

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Maybe hiring a young guy for HC without any strong NFL connections might be a poor choice??  Lewis was a lid on a dumpster fire that has been Cincinnati.  

Good question. I would have thought that a DC job for an organization with a wet behind the ears offensive minded HC and a history of patience with a defensive minded HC wouldn't be such a hard sell.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s also been reported that Cincy is offering less than a mill/yr for their DC job 

Feels like one of those three-D pictures that were popular a few years back where what you were looking at was an incoherent mess until it suddenly came into focus.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not considered a promotion to the league unless it’s to HC. All assistants are same level when it comes to ability to block interviews.

While more often than not teams don't block moves like this may be to that the Saints look at this like; "Now!  a week and half before the combines, almost to the start of FA.  Sorry we're too committed to this guy now and not enough time to bring a replacement for him.  Should have called us last month!"

41 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While more often than not teams don't block moves like this may be to that the Saints look at this like; "Now!  a week and half before the combines, almost to the start of FA.  Sorry we're too committed to this guy now and not enough time to bring a replacement for him.  Should have called us last month!"

Waiting until after the SB to hire a HC puts you way behind everyone else. I’m not sure if this guy was worth doing that.