Bengals hire Zac Taylor as HC (Update - can’t find a DC)

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep they jumped the shark imo

Sure... but you might want to make sure you don’t make it the only factor. He might be good but at some point you want to ensure a guy isn’t totally in over his head. And experience working with QBs isn’t equal to accomplishment. 

Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he doesn’t mean he’s in over his head. How can anyone make a good opinion on the hire before the guy even speaks a word. McVay was thought of in the same way but then the guy opened his mouth and knowledge poured out. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he doesn’t mean he’s in over his head. How can anyone make a good opinion on the hire before the guy even speaks a word. McVay was thought of in the same way but then the guy opened his mouth and knowledge poured out. 

I’m not basing that comment on his age. I’m basing it on his resume. No, Mcvay was not thought of in the same way. He was actually an OC with the Redskins before going to the Rams. You are focusing on the age part. I am not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not basing that comment on his age. I’m basing it on his resume. No, Mcvay was not thought of in the same way. He was actually an OC with the Redskins before going to the Rams. You are focusing on the age part. I am not. 

Zac Taylor was an OC too...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At UC. Not even a power 5 school. 1 year! 

Are you saying that’s the same as McVay’s background?

It isn't McVay level qualification but he was also interim OC and called plays when Dan Campbell was interim HC in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At UC. Not even a power 5 school. 1 year! 

Are you saying that’s the same as McVay’s background?

I did not say that. I said McVay was thought of as a questionable young hire.  He brought a fire to LA.  My main point was how can we judge the guy based on his resume alone.  McVay would have sold me in ten minutes of listening to him talk.  I'll make my judgement when I listen to the man talk.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good luck to him. Most people crapped all over the McVay hiring a few years ago and the Rams did more than okay. It doesn't seem like a great hire on paper, but you just never know who can make things click. 

I’m not purposely trying to be negative about the hire but I’m more than a little skeptical. McVay was at least an nfl OC before becoming a HC. Taylor was an OC for the UC bearcats for one (bad) year but has otherwise only been a position coach. 2 years ago he was an asst WR coach. I’m not predicting he will not work out but I am saying there isn’t a lot to there to predict that he will. That being said I’m sure the Bengals spent about $3 on this hire so if it doesn’t work out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not purposely trying to be negative about the hire but I’m more than a little skeptical. McVay was at least an nfl OC before becoming a HC. Taylor was an OC for the UC bearcats for one (bad) year but has otherwise only been a position coach. 2 years ago he was an asst WR coach. I’m not predicting he will not work out but I am saying there isn’t a lot to there to predict that he will. That being said I’m sure the Bengals spent about $3 on this hire so if it doesn’t work out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Spot on.  It is less likely he will be successful without coordinator experience.  Does not mean he will but he is really training for his second opportunity ala McDaniels.

This reminds me when I worked in the restaurants right after I got out of college and ended up getting promoted to store manager a few weeks shy of my 23rd birthday...not because they wanted to but because they had nobody else to promote and because I was doing exceptionally well as an assitant manager and my store manager was pressing them hard that I was the right person for the job.

So they gave me some trashed out store they planned on closing because sales were way down, they had a really bad gnat problem, and it was a mess and they went through 5 store managers in a period of a year. I basically kicked ass to the point they kept the store open, sales went up over 10K a month in under a year and I opened up the floodgates to hiring young store managers...after I showed that age is irrelevant when you have ability...prior to that you had to be older than 30 pretty much before even being considered for a store...after me they promoted 3 or 4 other store managers that were under 25.

Lots of parallels...old guys thinking that you had to be old and have "many years of experience" to be able to do this job. No, you just had to have talent and ability, and ENOUGH experience to do it. Just because you do something for 30 years doesn't mean you are good at it.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1