Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not the best person to ask those questions to...

I've taken in a number of Dobermans over the years with a variety of "problems".  All of them ended up being great dogs but they needed "deprogramming" from their previous lives.  I've only gotten one from Craigslist and he was a mess.  The others I got from Doberman rescues and we were given them without fee because it was much easier than putting them through the expense of real training with a certified animal behaviorist.

Are there "bad" dogs?  Yes.  Some can't be saved...that's reality.  If you have kids, please be very wary about where you get your next family member from.  That bell is impossible to unring, though Goldens aren't known for that kinda thing.  If I had preteen or younger kids, I wouldn't rescue a challenging working breed.  There's just too much risk.

The puppy we got recently is my first "paid for" dog in about 25 years.  She is amazing in pretty much every way.  Whether I ever go this route again is up for debate but I don't regret it one bit.

Since I have a 4 year old, I think Golden is my safest bet.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had our first golden prior to both out kids. Over the course of growing up they jumped on him, pulled his ears,  poked his eyes, the whole nine and he never once got aggressive. And, he was a $350 dog from a no name amish breeder, lived a good 10.5 years. That's why I'm struggling with the cost of some of these dogs were looking at. We're looking at the English Cream goldens mostly because they have a better history with avoiding cancer which our dog succumbed to. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

We had our first golden prior to both out kids. Over the course of growing up they jumped on him, pulled his ears,  poked his eyes, the whole nine and he never once got aggressive. And, he was a $350 dog from a no name amish breeder, lived a good 10.5 years. That's why I'm struggling with the cost of some of these dogs were looking at. We're looking at the English Cream goldens mostly because they have a better history with avoiding cancer which our dog succumbed to. 

I was looking at Goldendoodle pups and they average $2,000.  I can’t pay that much with child support and daycare.  Down the road I probably will.

Do mixed Golden’s generally have cancer problems?  Was is the percentage of Golden’s getting cancer?  I heard it’s a lot.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're deadset on that, then go for it.

But I'm a serious fan of the shar-pei if you didn't notice. They're incredibly bright, a breeze to train and very loyal and protective of all family members. :D

No need to buy a dog. We fostered a springer spaniel last year. Nice dog but to much energy. A couple came from Michigan, adopted him they are doing great. Second foster we met Allie. 2 year old female black lab/boxer. Knew all the commands but has separation anxiety issues, mainly from my wife! We adopted her. Great dog. Plays with neighbors male white lab no problem. Highly recommended checking out rescue organizations. 

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was looking at Goldendoodle pups and they average $2,000.  I can’t pay that much with child support and daycare.  Down the road I probably will.

Do mixed Golden’s generally have cancer problems?  Was is the percentage of Golden’s getting cancer?  I heard it’s a lot.

Last time I  looked American pure bred goldens have a 60% cancer rate. The English creams are somewhere around 38%.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/the-truth-about-English-Cream-Golden-Retrievers

39 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Last time I  looked American pure bred goldens have a 60% cancer rate. The English creams are somewhere around 38%.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/the-truth-about-English-Cream-Golden-Retrievers

Damn...cancer is the leading cause of death of dogs.  47% of all dogs die from some sort of cancer.

https://fetchacure.org/resource-library/facts/

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Lots of good advice here from dog lovers.

Being a dog lover and proclaimed 'dog whisperer' I would like to add and/or embellish.

rescues (from org. or "free puppies" or people who simply can't care for their pet), I agree can be wonderful companions.

Where do you live and what is your lifestyle? different breeds have different needs regarding space, activity, $ of ownership, etc...

Your own personality can play a big part too. If you have children, (then you already know the work involved) they need to know this too. Consistent training is essential. I've watched so many people get a dog because they 'want a dog' and spend no time trying to make it more than just a dog.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m on my 6th Golden. With the first 5 the it was 100%, but you gotta die from something. That’s a rule! They were awesome while we had them! (Except for the shedding....) 

My breeder was $1,200 nine years ago, but is up to $2k now. My son just got a Labradoodle from a great breeder. He paid $2,800, but far more hyper than any of my Goldens. His GF’s family is all Labradoodle, but the hyper dog seems to be giving him second thoughts. 

Royale, btw... I had Labs before my daughters were born and they loved them like their own. Girls would crawl on them, grab them, sleep on them, color them, etc.  not a single complaint from the dogs. best damn dogs ever. I miss them.

• Like (+1) 1

I bought a female Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog)  puppy for my daughter's 14th bday. Pup  is awesome, albeit a bit spastic so far! 1.5 years old, she is starting to mello.

$1100. Yikes! 

My pops lives with me, and his "old man" pit/lab stray loves that little B word. 

I was pissed when I learned that I did not get AKC breeding rights, even though I never planned to breed her.

Male Shelties are far calmer and more easily trainable.

We love that little furball!!!! And she loves us even more!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I always kind of chuckled at the fence thing as well. I'm not sure if the point is for exercise or protection, so the dog doesn't escape and run off. I was amazed at some of the questions I had to answer on the breeder websites before they would even respond. Questions about property, household inhabitants,  other pets, etc....funny thing is I don't remember any questions when we decided to have kids, but this dog is a whole nother level.

I like that the breeders ask questions.  It means that they are responsible and actually care about the animals.

I’m a lab guy myself.  Will never own another type.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I like that the breeders ask questions.  It means that they are responsible and actually care about the animals.

I’m a lab guy myself.  Will never own another type.

I get the questions,  but I just question whether it's legitimately for screening purposes or just to help boost their credibility. 

We do lots of work for an organization out here called "Guide Dogs For The Blind". They use Goldens exclusively.  Some of them don't make the cut as far as being a guide dog though. However, the rejects have a better temperament and far better trained than most dogs. If you could put your name in an organization like this for one of these dogs you would have an awesome pet. In our situation, I really don't want a large dog otherwise, I would have one.

Edited by Dante
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1