Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What gets me, if everybody is rescuing animals... Where the heck are they coming from?  Who are the irresponsible people not spay and neutering animals?

You would think the number of responsible people outweighs the irresponsible?

Am I just naive or are people really jerks?

It ain’t a 1 for 1 w/ dogs. You’re getting 3-6 new ones a litter, they add up quickly.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's getting really hard for me not to buy a dog right now.  I want one but with my busy schedule, he/she would be alone consistently for long periods of time.

I'm in an apartment for at least the next year.  Prefer waiting until I buy another house but it might not happen....chomping at the bit.

don't let the apartment stop you..with the caveat being you sign up for at least two good walks a day, or take the dog on a run at least once a day. When I first moved to DC in 87,I lived in an 800 sg ft condo, but i wanted a dog.I succumbed to the idea would need to be a small dog So I  went to the library( that's a place where information in books is stored for you kiddies) to research what sort of small breed would be best, and to my amazement, just the opposite was recommended.

Large dogs just want to sleep all day if they get the proper exercise...whether in a crate or not. They don't care if they are living in a 12x12 room, as long as they get their run/walks every day, they happy as a lark!

But no exercise, no happy dog!!!

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

don't let the apartment stop you..with the caveat being you sign up for at least two good walks a day, or take the dog on a run at least once a day. When I first moved to DC in 87,I lived in an 800 sg ft condo, but i wanted a dog.I succumbed to the idea would need to be a small dog So I  went to the library( that's a place where information in books is stored for you kiddies) to research what sort of small breed would be best, and to my amazement, just the opposite was recommended.

Large dogs just want to sleep all day if they get the proper exercise...whether in a crate or not. They don't care if they are living in a 12x12 room, as long as they get their run/walks every day, they happy as a lark!

But no exercise, no happy dog!!!

Yeah I'm really good at exercising dogs.  With my last two, they both love fetching the ball so I would take in the front or backyard and throw, throw and throw.

My last dog didn't like walks...first dog I ever encountered like that.  She loved the ball though and would play with her until she was exhausted.  

The dog before her, I would take on very long walks when I had the time.  He could go for miles.

I'm just feeling because I would be gone from 6:45 am to about 5:00 pm M-F.  I work out after that too.  

So basically I would come home, walk the dog and then go back out and he/she would be alone again for about 2 hours.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I'm really good at exercising dogs.  With my last two, they both love fetching the ball so I would take in the front or backyard and throw, throw and throw.

My last dog didn't like walks...first dog I ever encountered like that.  She loved the ball though and would play with her until she was exhausted.  

The dog before her, I would take on very long walks when I had the time.  He could go for miles.

I'm just feeling because I would be gone from 6:45 am to about 5:00 pm M-F.  I work out after that too.  

So basically I would come home, walk the dog and then go back out and he/she would be alone again for about 2 hours.

yep, that would suck for the dog..unless the dog was in a kill shelter...sure as hell would beat the alternative!!!!

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It ain’t a 1 for 1 w/ dogs. You’re getting 3-6 new ones a litter, they add up quickly.

Thanks for the birds and the bees... LoL...

Actually, our one cat was rescue.  Litter of one.  They named him: "Uno."  We changed that to his midde name.  He was a kitten.  Now He has "two more bruthas from other muthas."  LoL... All 3 rescues.  Now you have proof I am insane.  Wife is the crazy cat lady. One more and I will need to be rescued.  I like Hawaii!  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Arghh...starting me on my biggest pet peeve in the world! How in the world dog rescues can see a fence as a good thing is just beyond me. Dogs need not only physical activity to be their best but mental stimulation. They get that by going on walks/runs, not out in the same freaking backyard every day.

I bet in our neighborhood, dogs who get adequate exercise are less than 15%, and we have 100% fenced backyards....and  a neighborhood with lots o ladies who lunch...pisses me off! You going on a walk with ladies(or @Augie ), take your damn dog!

Anyway, i have always been a shelter/rescue guy..all good so far, but have no problem with purebreds either!  I always say my one lab/chow mix is a pure bread..purebred idiot!!!!

He truly is the only one we have an any kind of issue in terms of behavior..that chow in him is just so damn stubborn. Is only issue is on the leash, he gets quite defensive with other dogs. Off leash he is much better...and any dog in the world can come into our house with no issues whatsoever  after they pass the butt sniff test

So, do they have match making websites for dogs/owners too? I never heard of that! 

?

I walk my dog every day (almost). Rarely is it too cold and wet that I just let her into the back yard. I usually walk her after tennis or a run, when I’m already sweaty. In the summer you'll sweat just going around the block, so why take the extra shower? If I take her on too long of a walk (the “big loop”) she will stop and stare at me with a “WTF were you thinking” look. When I get back into the neighborhood there are two ways home, one a couple hundred yards longer than the other. She takes me the short way - no dummy there! She’s 9 and knows there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. 

My neighbor is a vet.  He preaches about getting a mixed breed dog - lots less issues.  One alternative is to look at a local chapter of a service dog training center.  Some of those dogs do not pass the final grade outs and become available for adoption.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our local SPCA has some sort of a relationship with an organization in Tennessee.  I got my cat there and he was from Tennessee.  I believe @Turbosrrgood adopted one or two dogs from there and they are also from Tennessee.

To @ExiledInIllinois's point, I also find it disheartening to know so many animals need to be rescued.

Puppy mills piss me off and so do these people who basically create home-based puppy mills.  They get a boy/girl dog, let the girl have puppies at home, sell the ones lucky enough to survive - usually too soon.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Disgusts me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Our local SPCA has some sort of a relationship with an organization in Tennessee.  I got my cat there and he was from Tennessee.  I believe @Turbosrrgood adopted one or two dogs from there and they are also from Tennessee.

To @ExiledInIllinois's point, I also find it disheartening to know so many animals need to be rescued.

Puppy mills piss me off and so do these people who basically create home-based puppy mills.  They get a boy/girl dog, let the girl have puppies at home, sell the ones lucky enough to survive - usually too soon.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Disgusts me.

You are correct Gug, both my dogs were rescues from Tennessee, the last one through the SPCA near you. It does seem crazy that there is a seemingly endless supply of dogs needing rescue, particularly from the south. I know the northeast in general imports them nonstop, and its still not enough.

8 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I decided not to go with an adult rescue. My kids are both still fairly young and I just feel more comfortable getting puppy and letting it grow up around them and where I can do the training. I know most rescues are ok, but I just don't want to take the chance of of not knowing their history. 

That is perfectly  fine and reasonable 

there is nothing better than getting to grow up with a puppy.

My father bought me a puppy pug when I was 1 for my birthday. My best friend till I was 13

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In the next couple of weeks....I'm going to rescue a golden.

Awesome my friend!

mu friend just bought a golden and he is phenomenal! Sweetest dogs 

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Blessings and good karma to you for that mindset.

Thank you friend

every rescue I have ever gotten became my best friend ?

you know deep down they appreciate it more than you can ever imagine... they will give it back to you 100fold

I got my Chinese Shar-Pei from a breeder in Pittsburgh. This dog is the most loving, wonderful friend a guy could ask for. Just have to make sure your breeder is reputable. Especially with Shar-Peis, it's important to know if their bloodline has Shar-Pei fever.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

16 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So we're in the market for a new dog and it's become a lot more complicated than I remember when we bought our first  one. We bought our first dog, a golden retriever, from a local breeder about 12 years ago. We really didn't do any research and pretty much looked in the paper went to the farm and picked him out. He was an awesome dog who was around before my kids, then proceeded to grow up with them. He went on to heaven a few months ago and we just started looking at dogs again. We're going with another golden, but I've been doing a lot more research and found it to be more complicated now that I know about the certifications, bloodlines, etc...My main concern is health, I'm certainly not going to show him/her anywhere. As I mentioned earlier, our first dog lived to 11, which is average for a golden,  and we paid $325 for him at the time with no guarantees on health or anything of that nature. Now, I'm looking at dogs between $900 -$3500, which I think is insane. Does anyone have any experience with with breeders or any recommendations on whether the extra money is for lineage and certifications is worth it with regards to health, temperament and training?

Reputable breeders are going to charge huge fees because they're doing a real job.  They're trying to breed the best possible animal from a temperament , health, looks, etc.  standpoint.  There are numerous vet visits for both the mother and the puppies until the dogs are sent to their forever homes.  If you've been to the vet lately, you know how much fees and care have changed over the last decade...that cost is being passed on, which is appropriate.

I just paid about $2k for my latest family member and she's an amazing dog.  Worth every penny.  That being said, do your research.  There are plenty of breeders out there charging the same fees and they aren't reputable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Reputable breeders are going to charge huge fees because they're doing a real job.  They're trying to breed the best possible animal from a temperament , health, looks, etc.  standpoint.  There are numerous vet visits for both the mother and the puppies until the dogs are sent to their forever homes.  If you've been to the vet lately, you know how much fees and care have changed over the last decade...that cost is being passed on, which is appropriate.

I just paid about $2k for my latest family member and she's an amazing dog.  Worth every penny.  That being said, do your research.  There are plenty of breeders out there charging the same fees and they aren't reputable. 

What are your thoughts on people charging very little to get rid of their lab or golden?

On Craigslist, you'll see posts about people that can't take care of the job anymore (work hours/more kids) generally the reason why.  

Would you trust a golden if someone is giving them away for like $50.00?

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What are your thoughts on people charging very little to get rid of their lab or golden?

On Craigslist, you'll see posts about people that can't take care of the job anymore (work hours/more kids) generally the reason why.  

That’s a little sketchy. You can search the local SPCA’s for Golden’s and you can probably find lots ranging from 1-4 if you go for a few weeks 

gonna be a bit more than 50 bucks but you can interact with the dog and see its temperament... take it outside for a bit

and you save a dogs life ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not the best person to ask those questions to...

I've taken in a number of Dobermans over the years with a variety of "problems".  All of them ended up being great dogs but they needed "deprogramming" from their previous lives.  I've only gotten one from Craigslist and he was a mess.  The others I got from Doberman rescues and we were given them without fee because it was much easier than putting them through the expense of real training with a certified animal behaviorist.

Are there "bad" dogs?  Yes.  Some can't be saved...that's reality.  If you have kids, please be very wary about where you get your next family member from.  That bell is impossible to unring, though Goldens aren't known for that kinda thing.  If I had preteen or younger kids, I wouldn't rescue a challenging working breed.  There's just too much risk.

The puppy we got recently is my first "paid for" dog in about 25 years.  She is amazing in pretty much every way.  Whether I ever go this route again is up for debate but I don't regret it one bit.

21 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Yeah....the research is consuming a lot my my time. I think we have a few in mind. I'm learning about the early neurological stimulation which I never heard about before. I see the claimed benefits, but haven't really dug into that much. Most of the dogs I've seen that are exposed to it are at least an additional cost of $800.