Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

So we're in the market for a new dog and it's become a lot more complicated than I remember when we bought our first  one. We bought our first dog, a golden retriever, from a local breeder about 12 years ago. We really didn't do any research and pretty much looked in the paper went to the farm and picked him out. He was an awesome dog who was around before my kids, then proceeded to grow up with them. He went on to heaven a few months ago and we just started looking at dogs again. We're going with another golden, but I've been doing a lot more research and found it to be more complicated now that I know about the certifications, bloodlines, etc...My main concern is health, I'm certainly not going to show him/her anywhere. As I mentioned earlier, our first dog lived to 11, which is average for a golden,  and we paid $325 for him at the time with no guarantees on health or anything of that nature. Now, I'm looking at dogs between $900 -$3500, which I think is insane. Does anyone have any experience with with breeders or any recommendations on whether the extra money is for lineage and certifications is worth it with regards to health, temperament and training?

Pure breads naturally live shorter than mutts and have more health problems

but coming from good lineage with no mental or physical problems is a good thing but they can also be expensive 

My friend just bought a golden puppy for 1000 from a breeder... Sweet as heck and a great puppy... is having problems potty training 

I bought a Docker a few years ago. She was 1000 from breeders but lucked out and got her at the SPCA at 8 weeks for 400+ bucks... she was easily trainable and is my best friend... but she’s needs constant attention 

My pure bread beagle lived till around 12 and she was pretty healthy all her life until she got cancer at the end .. a lot of these big breeders almost become puppy mills at a point and have them in cages all day

I just go to the SPCA now early in the morning and look for puppies or rescues 

Puppies there are cheaper and if you rescue an adult dog you save a life ?

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What gets me, if everybody is rescuing animals... Where the heck are they coming from?  Who are the irresponsible people not spay and neutering animals?

You would think the number of responsible people outweighs the irresponsible?

Am I just naive or are people really jerks?

There are tons of neglected dogs in Buffalo. I would say there are tons of jerks

i love animals and dogs so much I can’t understand how some people can treat them like trash

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What gets me, if everybody is rescuing animals... Where the heck are they coming from?  Who are the irresponsible people not spay and neutering animals?

Some are owners that have died and no family member can take the animal. Others are from bad homes with irresponsible owners. My last dog was a rescue. The owner gave him up because her boyfriend said it was him or the dog. She choose poorly....

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Huge amount of dogs are sent up to VT from the Carolinas.  We fostered a dog last spring from South Carolina.  A 6 year old Australian Shepherd/Corgi/whatever mutt.  Great, sweet dog, but clearly mistreated by an adult male in her past.  She always looks at me like I’m trying to poison her...lol.  

59 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So we're in the market for a new dog and it's become a lot more complicated than I remember when we bought our first  one. We bought our first dog, a golden retriever, from a local breeder about 12 years ago. We really didn't do any research and pretty much looked in the paper went to the farm and picked him out. He was an awesome dog who was around before my kids, then proceeded to grow up with them. He went on to heaven a few months ago and we just started looking at dogs again. We're going with another golden, but I've been doing a lot more research and found it to be more complicated now that I know about the certifications, bloodlines, etc...My main concern is health, I'm certainly not going to show him/her anywhere. As I mentioned earlier, our first dog lived to 11, which is average for a golden,  and we paid $325 for him at the time with no guarantees on health or anything of that nature. Now, I'm looking at dogs between $900 -$3500, which I think is insane. Does anyone have any experience with with breeders or any recommendations on whether the extra money is for lineage and certifications is worth it with regards to health, temperament and training?

I am all over this! I am currently on my 6th Golden Retriever. I whole heartedly admire all the rescue people. Seriously!  You can even get Golden rescues (for really weird reasons). Gracie is laying at my feet as I type. We had all kinds of Goldens in the family over the years. I have personally  had 4 blondes and 2 reds. 

The Golden before Gracie was an impulse purchase when my wife allowed my young children near puppies at a back yard breeder. The result was easily foreseen, the dog’s problems were not. She was a submissive wetter with thyroid issues. Had to have daily meds or were were told she could get snappy.  

Our current Golden we got from Georgia when we still lived in Florida. I was willing to drive 9 hours for the right litter. Best choice I’ve made in the last 10 years! Awesome best friend. I’m serious!  

Where do you live? I’d seriously recommend finding the best breeder you can drive to in a day. Spending more is not as big of a deal if you ammortize that cost over 10-15 years. Get the best dog. 

Consider the money over the life of the dog - that’s my advice. We paid $1,200 nine years ago, that was a steal. I’d have paid many times that for the joy she has given us. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Over the past 45 years we've had 6 Golden's.  The first 2 were pups, next 3 were senior rescues, and #6 was found online at the local SPCA.  They said he was about 1 year, very wild, I'm thinking a runaway.  That was in 2009, and he's still doing fine.  Slowed down a lot but still in good health.  In our area, the rescue people won't consider you for a younger dog unless you have a fenced yard.  We don't, never have, and would never just "put him out" in a yard anyway.  There were some gaps along the way when we just couldn't find the "right" dog.

You are absolutely right about breeder prices.  They charge top dollar, and health and planned longevity are always a crap shoot.

There may be some Golden Rescue people in your area.  They usually have a web site, and you can decide on that.  It has to be/feel right for you and your family.  Maybe also give the Petfinder site a look.  You can limit your search area, and it's also breed specific.

Good luck!  It's not as easy as we remember growing up, but keep your options open, and it will work out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Think about the number of people you know that can’t manage their own lives, let alone care for another life. Not all are jerks, but they get in over the heads from a financial and/or care standpoint.(I extend this to kids as well.)

there are also a significant number of jerks as well

Edited by Kevbeau

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Pure breads naturally live shorter than mutts and have more health problems

but coming from good lineage with no mental or physical problems is a good thing but they can also be expensive 

My friend just bought a golden puppy for 1000 from a breeder... Sweet as heck and a great puppy... is having problems potty training 

I bought a Docker a few years ago. She was 1000 from breeders but lucked out and got her at the SPCA at 8 weeks for 400+ bucks... she was easily trainable and is my best friend... but she’s needs constant attention 

My pure bread beagle lived till around 12 and she was pretty healthy all her life until she got cancer at the end .. a lot of these big breeders almost become puppy mills at a point and have them in cages all day

I just go to the SPCA now early in the morning and look for puppies or rescues 

Puppies there are cheaper and if you rescue an adult dog you save a life ?

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I decided not to go with an adult rescue. My kids are both still fairly young and I just feel more comfortable getting puppy and letting it grow up around them and where I can do the training. I know most rescues are ok, but I just don't want to take the chance of of not knowing their history. 

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I am all over this! I am currently on my 6th Golden Retriever. I whole heartedly admire all the rescue people. Seriously!  You can even get Golden rescues (for really weird reasons). Gracie is laying at my feet as I type. We had all kinds of Goldens in the family over the years. I have personally  had 4 blondes and 2 reds. 

The Golden before Gracie was an impulse purchase when my wife allowed my young children near puppies at a back yard breeder. The result was easily foreseen, the dog’s problems were not. She was a submissive wetter with thyroid issues. Had to have daily meds or were were told she could get snappy.  

Our current Golden we got from Georgia when we still lived in Florida. I was willing to drive 9 hours for the right litter. Best choice I’ve made in the last 10 years! Awesome best friend. I’m serious!  

Where do you live? I’d seriously recommend finding the best breeder you can drive to in a day. Spending more is not as big of a deal if you ammortize that cost over 10-15 years. Get the best dog. 

Consider the money over the life of the dog - that’s my advice. We paid $1,200 nine years ago, that was a steal. I’d have paid many times that for the joy she has given us. 

Thanks. I'm in Pennsylvania.  We're looking at breeders in PA, MD, Jersey so far.

After small dogs for decades my parents went with very gentle and older huge mixed beasts from shelters.

Great dogs for seniors, for walks and the "protection" the dog didn't remotely have to display

the most recent was put down this week, so lots of hours in tough phone calls with my parents

hope they get another one soon, Dad needs a walk every morning and evening around the park...

9 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

.  In our area, the rescue people won't consider you for a younger dog unless you have a fenced yard.  We don't, never have, and would never just "put him out" in a yard anyway. 

Arghh...starting me on my biggest pet peeve in the world! How in the world dog rescues can see a fence as a good thing is just beyond me. Dogs need not only physical activity to be their best but mental stimulation. They get that by going on walks/runs, not out in the same freaking backyard every day.

I bet in our neighborhood, dogs who get adequate exercise are less than 15%, and we have 100% fenced backyards....and  a neighborhood with lots o ladies who lunch...pisses me off! You going on a walk with ladies(or @Augie ), take your damn dog!

Anyway, i have always been a shelter/rescue guy..all good so far, but have no problem with purebreds either! I always say my one lab/chow mix is a pure bread..purebred idiot!!!!

He truly is the only one we have an any kind of issue in terms of behavior..that chow in him is just so damn stubborn. Is only issue is on the leash, he gets quite defensive with other dogs. Off leash he is much better...and any dog in the world can come into our house with no issues whatsoever  after they pass the butt sniff test

37 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Arghh...starting me on my biggest pet peeve in the world! How in the world dog rescues can see a fence as a good thing is just beyond me. Dogs need not only physical activity to be their best but mental stimulation. They get that by going on walks/runs, not out in the same freaking backyard every day.

I bet in our neighborhood, dogs who get adequate exercise are less than 15%, and we have 100% fenced backyards....and  a neighborhood with lots o ladies who lunch...pisses me off! You going on a walk with ladies(or @Augie ), take your damn dog!

Anyway, i have always been a shelter/rescue guy..all good so far, but have no problem with purebreds either! I always say my one lab/chow mix is a pure bread..purebred idiot!!!!

He truly is the only one we have an any kind of issue in terms of behavior..that chow in him is just so damn stubborn. Is only issue is on the leash, he gets quite defensive with other dogs. Off leash he is much better...and any dog in the world can come into our house with no issues whatsoever  after they pass the butt sniff test

I always kind of chuckled at the fence thing as well. I'm not sure if the point is for exercise or protection, so the dog doesn't escape and run off. I was amazed at some of the questions I had to answer on the breeder websites before they would even respond. Questions about property, household inhabitants,  other pets, etc....funny thing is I don't remember any questions when we decided to have kids, but this dog is a whole nother level.

45 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I always kind of chuckled at the fence thing as well. I'm not sure if the point is for exercise or protection, so the dog doesn't escape and run off. I was amazed at some of the questions I had to answer on the breeder websites before they would even respond. Questions about property, household inhabitants,  other pets, etc....funny thing is I don't remember any questions when we decided to have kids, but this dog is a whole nother level.

Ain’t that the truth! 

We we have a house in suburban Richmond, all fenced, all the dogs crazy and overweight cause they get no exercise and only get let out to backyard. 

Have a place in the heart of DC , no fences , no backyards. All the dogs nice as can be and fit! They have to get exercise!

And I guess for some that don’t believe in neutering their dogs, especially at a young age, shelter/rescues out of the question. Dogs come home fixed now, been the way for like 20 years. 

Edited by plenzmd1