Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

A year and a half ago, I bought a designer breed - schnoodle.  We went through the internet.  We lived in Bath, NY at the time, and found a breeder in Shinglehouse, PA.  He was the last of the litter, and the breeders were not going to breed schnoodles any more.  They were going to continue breeding English Springer Spaniels and Springer doodles.  I'm guessing they were retiring their schnauzer, and didn't want to replace it.  It wasn't a terribly complicated process.  We got him for $350, which is a steal.  Schnoodles can run from $500 to $2,000 normally.  It was the combination of him being the last of the litter, being 12 weeks old and their intentions to stop breeding schnoodles that got us that insane price.  He is an incredible dog: higher energy than any dog I have ever seen, amazingly smart and full of mischief, no health issues whatsoever.  We love him and will keep him for the next 15 years or so.  He'll be the last dog we ever have, I'm pretty sure.  I think if I had it to do over again, I would look for a dog that had a little lower energy level.  We puppy sit for our daughter who has a 10 month old cockapoo that has a much lower energy level.  Quite frankly, he would be a much easier dog for us to manage.

BTW, we would normally look for a shelter dog, but I have pet allergies.  I've had dogs my whole life, but made the decision this time that for the last dog we ever had, we wanted on that wouldn't aggravate my allergy symptoms too much.  Schnoodles are ideal for that because both parent breeds are considered non-shedding.  We looked long and hard for a non shedding shelter dog.  They are hard to come by.  If you want a pit bull mix, they are all over the place.

Edited by TigerJ

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

She is a girl.  She has bigger nipples than me.

A claim like that does require photographic evidence. You know that.....

I used to take my two Golden Retrievers to the beach and met all kinds of scantily clad young women. That’s not WHY I had those dogs, but it might have crossed my mind when they time came to replace them. 

Adopt dont shop!

No matter what breed you are interested in, there are plenty of abandoned ones that need homes.

Here are a few links to Golden Retriever Rescue Networks:

http://www.grca-nrc.org/

http://www.gr-rescue.org/

https://www.grca.org/find-a-golden/where-to-find-a-golden/rescue/

And if you are truly worried about health issues, then go down to your local shelter and find a mixed breed. Mutts typically have far less issues than "pure breds" (aka in-breds)

Good luck!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Gracie

My 9 year old Golden is Gracie. She’s napping at my feet right now. Great name! Great dog! 

We voted 3-1 for Bailey, but the wife vetoed because that was the name of the girl who vomited in the MIL’s car as a kid. They couldn’t get the stink out, and traded in the car. Seems legit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Here's the new dog I'm picking up on Friday.  Being fostered by a friend who rescued her from a shelter.  

She's not keeping it because she already has 3 dogs of her own.  She just couldn't stand seeing this frenchie at a shelter.

image.thumb.png.04991dbbc96788f6f9894dae91492e04.png

She’s beautiful.  Thanks for taking a rescue dog