Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

17 minutes ago, teef said:

do you have any idea how easy it is to just steal a dog?

Dude, true story. One fall in college , brought my friends and roommates from school home for a Bills-Steelers game, they being all Steeler fans. One friend needed a break from bar and went to a neighborhood yard  for a quick nap, yes, it was more comfortable than a car. 

He heard a dog and went went over to snuggle with it. Dog was chained to a tree, all skin and bones and stinky. 

Long story, we get to car to go home and he has stolen the dog. The dog smells so bad has to stay in my parents garage. Think of how it smelled in the car!  Get to the Bills game next day park in the mud lot, tie the dog to a tree during the game   

Dog yipes the whole stinking way home for 3 hours. stinks to high heaven so we make dude give the dog a bath when got home. We thought the dog was a black lab mix, freaking dog was yellow. It was that dirty!

cant remember exact weights, but he went from like 28 lbs to 52 lbs in like a month. And was still skinny.  Think he ended up around 65 lbs in the next year. 

We named him Yipes for his ride home, and had him at school form3 more years and he had him for another 4 after that till Yipes died, prolly around age 10 or so. 

He was a great dog, and while we gave the dude massive crap that night for stealing a dog, it was the right thing to do!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

the mike vick treatment...got it.

Can you teach Copper to sick balls?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dude, true story. One fall in college , brought my friends and roommates from school home for a Bills-Steelers game, they being all Steeler fans. One friend needed a break from bar and went to a neighborhood yard  for a quick nap, yes, it was more comfortable than a car. 

He heard a dog and went went over to snuggle with it. Dog was chained to a tree, all skin and bones and stinky. 

Long story, we get to car to go home and he has stolen the dog. The dog smells so bad has to stay in my parents garage. Think of how it smelled in the car!  Get to the Bills game next day park in the mud lot, tie the dog to a tree during the game   

Dog yipes the whole stinking way home for 3 hours. stinks to high heaven so we make dude give the dog a bath when got home. We thought the dog was a black lab mix, freaking dog was yellow. It was that dirty!

cant remember exact weights, but he went from like 28 lbs to 52 lbs in like a month. And was still skinny.  Think he ended up around 65 lbs in the next year. 

We named him Yipes for his ride home, and had him at school form3 more years and he had him for another 4 after that till Yipes died, prolly around age 10 or so. 

He was a great dog, and while we gave the dude massive crap that night for stealing a dog, it was the right thing to do!

I would have done the same.  When people just tie dogs up all day, it really pisses me off.  I want to break their hot water heater so they have to take cold showers.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is awesome. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Application was accepted for this dog!

I have a phone interview with the adoption director soon.  They are going to reach out to me about a time.

http://youluckydogrescue.org/dogs/1151/adoptable-dogs/greta-hollywood

If I get her, I'm changing the name.

We named our previous golden Newman, after Ryan Newman the race car driver. Everyone thought it was after the Seinfeld character though. I want to name the new one Waylon and either the next dog or cat we get Willie. I'm getting a lot of resistance though. 

29 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

We named our previous golden Newman, after Ryan Newman the race car driver. Everyone thought it was after the Seinfeld character though. I want to name the new one Waylon and either the next dog or cat we get Willie. I'm getting a lot of resistance though. 

Ooooh....

Elaine Benes might be my dogs name.  

On 1/15/2019 at 3:11 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Sorry to hear that RWC..ridiculous.

It's not from their perspective.  Rescue organizations get burned all the time.  They care about animals first, which is great.

I've done enough home visits that I can "generally" tell if someone leads an active enough lifestyle that their living situation won't negatively impact a dog.  Most volunteers have big hearts but can't adapt rules to situations.  At the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's not from their perspective.  Rescue organizations get burned all the time.  They care about animals first, which is great.

I've done enough home visits that I can "generally" tell if someone leads an active enough lifestyle that their living situation won't negatively impact a dog.  Most volunteers have big hearts but can't adapt rules to situations.  At the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Would it be considered a red flag if say your found several open and empty jars of peanut butter on and around Royal's dog crate?

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

I get the animals first , what I don’t get is the “ no fence, no dog”. Or you live in an apartment, so no dog. 

My gut says dogs that live in homes with no fences or back yards are in better overall physical condition than dogs who live with a fenced in backyard. 

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Would it be considered a red flag if say your found several open and empty jars of peanut butter on and around Royal's dog crate?

:lol:

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I get the animals first , what I don’t get is the “ no fence, no dog”. Or you live in an apartment, so no dog. 

My gut says dogs that live in homes with no fences or back yards are in better overall physical condition than dogs who live with a fenced in backyard. 

Again, they've been burned too many times.  It's not fair on a case-by-case basis but the overall policy is completely understandable.

I have taken a number of dogs that "won't be placed in a house with an E-Fence".  I have an E-fence...If you're a responsible dog owner and you train your dog appropriately there's no need for leashes or fences.  Most places have leash laws because people aren't responsible.  It's not the dog's fault.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

My older son and I are about to adopt a puppy from a local organization.  The mom is a 60 pound lab mix who had 11 puppies that are now about 10 weeks or so.  It is unclear what the dad is.

We are going to look at the puppies this weekend.  We apparently are third in line.  I have never owned a dog before.  [We just recently got adopted by two adorable kitties whose mom abandoned them].

One of the things that I read and have been told is that I should definitely get a male dog.  I read that one of the main differences is:

Female dog goes up to you and says: "Love me! Love me! Love me!"

Male dog goes up to you and says: "I love you! I love you! I love you!"

I thought that was funny.

If any of you guys have any words of wisdom , please feel free to pass them along.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

My older son and I are about to adopt a puppy from a local organization.  The mom is a 60 pound lab mix who had 11 puppies that are now about 10 weeks or so.  It is unclear what the dad is.

We are going to look at the puppies this weekend.  We apparently are third in line.  I have never owned a dog before.  [We just recently got adopted by two adorable kitties whose mom abandoned them].

One of the things that I read and have been told is that I should definitely get a male dog.  I read that one of the main differences is:

If any of you guys have any words of wisdom , please feel free to pass them along.

Get plenty of toys for the dog to chew on and be prepared to get some other things damaged or destroyed when he/she get bored with chewing on said toys. Also consistency is key to training. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Get plenty of toys for the dog to chew own and be prepared to get some other things damaged or destroyed when he/she get bored with chewing on said toys. Also consistency is key to training. 

Thank you!

On 1/17/2019 at 5:12 PM, Peter said:

I have had dogs my entire life.  I have never seen the female versus male dynamic you're talking about. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is to limit your new puppy's access to your home.  Confine it to small areas where it can do the least amount of damage and watch it like you're afraid it's going to hurt itself.  Open up more of your home as it matures.  Keep in mind that dogs do not have bladder control until six months or later, so minimizing access is going to help keep this problem to a smaller area.  You're going to have to take it outside at least once an hour when it's awake...sometimes more.  You'll get a read on this pretty quick.

No matter how frustrated you get, don't scream at it out of anger...you wouldn't do that to a human child.

Train with it every day, for 5-10 minutes at least a couple of times.  Take it everywhere with you and get it used to different environments and people.

Most importantly:  Feed it high quality dog food supplemented with fibrous stuff like veggies.  Better food equals less poop and a longer, healthier life.  The money you'll save on vet bills will more than offset the increased cost of the food.

• Like (+1) 3

Dog didn’t workout yesterday.  She was very sweet and loving but the dog was definitely a project.  She definitely doesn’t have any discipline inside a house...she’s lived outside on a farm her whole life.  It made my son nervous and uncomfortable.

She freely jumps on you, jumps on furniture and all over you.  Like I had my son in my lap on the chair and the dog jumped on both of us.  She also scratched my son in his neck because she likes to put her paws on you.  If my son was older, I wouldn’t mind working on this dog.  But it’s too much for a 3 year and he just wasn’t comfortable around her...especially after the scratch.

I may have to look at smaller breeds.  I definitely still am going to rescue.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dog didn’t workout yesterday.  She was very sweet and loving but the dog was definitely a project.  She definitely doesn’t have any discipline inside a house...she’s lived outside on a farm her whole life.  It made my son nervous and uncomfortable.

She freely jumps on you, jumps on furniture and all over you.  Like I had my son in my lap on the chair and the dog jumped on both of us.  She also scratched my son in his neck because she likes to put her paws on you.  If my son was older, I wouldn’t mind working on this dog.  But it’s too much for a 3 year and he just wasn’t comfortable around her...especially after the scratch.

I may have to look at smaller breeds.  I definitely still am going to rescue.

sounds like that was the right call brother!

Maybe it's me, but I always think bigger the dog, less jumpy/twitchy/yappy..and better with small children and people. No science behind, just my bias!!

On 1/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Peter said:

my only preference male vs female is strictly related to living in the city. I want a female in the city. 100% due to male dogs needing to mark everywhere, and in the city every freaking tree and fire hydrant has been peed on by some other male. Females just go!!! When its 11:30 at night, ya just want the damn dog to go...not mark its territory for twenty minutes!

Edited by plenzmd1

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Maybe it's me, but I always think bigger the dog, less jumpy/twitchy/yappy..and better with small children and people. No science behind, just my bias!!

I have the same view. My in-laws have 2 chihuahuas and I'm always afraid when my kids are around them. They are very snippy and I feel like they always feel threatened because everyone is bigger than they are.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thats what I’ve been focusing on Boston Terriers.  They’re good around kids and require generally less work....which is why they are considered the best breed for 1st time dog owners.  They are gentle and can get energy out themselves with toys and a ball.  I’ve known a few with these Terriers and they’re cool dogs.

My sons first few years of his life was with a 15 lbs dog.  He’s just comfortable with that size right now.  

I honestly will probably adopt again in a few years once I get my new house and build another fence.  I’d like to have two dogs eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I have had dogs my entire life.  I have never seen the female versus male dynamic you're talking about. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is to limit your new puppy's access to your home.  Confine it to small areas where it can do the least amount of damage and watch it like you're afraid it's going to hurt itself.  Open up more of your home as it matures.  Keep in mind that dogs do not have bladder control until six months or later, so minimizing access is going to help keep this problem to a smaller area.  You're going to have to take it outside at least once an hour when it's awake...sometimes more.  You'll get a read on this pretty quick.

No matter how frustrated you get, don't scream at it out of anger...you wouldn't do that to a human child.

Train with it every day, for 5-10 minutes at least a couple of times.  Take it everywhere with you and get it used to different environments and people.

Most importantly:  Feed it high quality dog food supplemented with fibrous stuff like veggies.  Better food equals less poop and a longer, healthier life.  The money you'll save on vet bills will more than offset the increased cost of the food.

Thanks for the advice to you and the others.

We officially adopted yesterday.  Because the dog (lab mix with some possible German Shepherd) is young and has not had his second set of shots yet, the dog is going to stay with its litter mates and get its second set of shots.  We will be able to pick him up and take home in a couple of weeks.  

We ended up getting a male . . . not so much because he is a male but more so because my 16 year old and he bonded right away.  The dog seems to have a great personality.  

We have our work cut out for us, but I am looking forward to bringing the dog into our home.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, Peter said:

Thanks for the advice to you and the others.

We officially adopted yesterday.  Because the dog (lab mix with some possible German Shepherd) is young and has not had his second set of shots yet, the dog is going to stay with its litter mates and get its second set of shots.  We will be able to pick him up and take home in a couple of weeks.  

We ended up getting a male . . . not so much because he is a male but more so because my 16 year old and he bonded right away.  The dog seems to have a great personality.  

We have our work cut out for us, but I am looking forward to bringing the dog into our home.

It's the work you would do in any relationship. I don't ever think of training as work--I think of it as having great moments with friends. And I never look at anything as my dog's fault. I just see a behavior that is a problem for me and reflect, "What did I do to cause/allow/encourage this? And how can we work on something that he'll want to do more?" 

All my dogs have been the same breed (golden retreivers) but all very different personalities. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe somebody can take this dog in.  Sick, sick people out there.

Adult male pit bull mix found Tuesday morning on Fay Street in city's Bailey/Walden neighborhood.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The SPCA of Erie County is investigating after a dog was found by sanitation workers in a garbage tote.

SPCA officials say the adult, male pit bull mix was found scarred and emaciated on Fay Street in the area of Bailey and Walden avenues in Buffalo. 

Dog found in garbage tote
A dog was found in a garbage tote in Buffalo
SPCA of Erie County

The dog's body temperature was 90 degrees when he was found. At last check, it had risen to 96 degrees.  Normal body temperatures for dogs range from 101-102.5.