Anyone buy a dog recently?

RaoulDuke79

If you have room for a LARGE dog... buddy of mine got a Great Pyrenees as a puppy. Thing could be fitted for a saddle now but is the biggest, most loveable, animated stuffed animal that anyone could wish for.

Edited by 145B4IDIE

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

If you don't want to show or breed the dog, then more expensive does not gauarantee better health. 

Per gf. A veterinarian

As a general rule I prefer pictures of my veterinarian in order to  make an initial judgment. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 145B4IDIE said:

Lots of good advice here from dog lovers.

Being a dog lover and proclaimed 'dog whisperer' I would like to add and/or embellish.

rescues (from org. or "free puppies" or people who simply can't care for their pet), I agree can be wonderful companions.

Where do you live and what is your lifestyle? different breeds have different needs regarding space, activity, $ of ownership, etc...

Your own personality can play a big part too. If you have children, (then you already know the work involved) they need to know this too. Consistent training is essential. I've watched so many people get a dog because they 'want a dog' and spend no time trying to make it more than just a dog.

The bold cannot be overstated! You don’t train the dog, you train the people. Nobody is allowed to have a different set of rules for the dog. If she jumps on people, you don’t let them say “it’s OK”, because it’s NOT! That is just training them that jumping os OK. You might not mind, but my 91 year old mother could die as a result of the same behavior. If your rule is no people food, NOBODY can throw scraps to the dog. That is just training them to beg (and is generally unhealthy for them). 

My first Golden went to obedience school. The final “graduation day” she puked all over the car when we put her in to go. We called the school and said “sorry, it took forever to clean up, and we don’t dare put her back in the car”. They responded “we’ll tell you a little secret....class has nothing to do with the dog, it’s about training the people. Come on in, we’ll lend you a dog.”  

Well, the ball is rolling now. We sent our deposit to a breeder in NJ today. Litter is due early February. Should be picking up the dog as the weather starts turning nice March/April timeframe.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

So we're in the market for a new dog and it's become a lot more complicated than I remember when we bought our first  one. We bought our first dog, a golden retriever, from a local breeder about 12 years ago. We really didn't do any research and pretty much looked in the paper went to the farm and picked him out. He was an awesome dog who was around before my kids, then proceeded to grow up with them. He went on to heaven a few months ago and we just started looking at dogs again. We're going with another golden, but I've been doing a lot more research and found it to be more complicated now that I know about the certifications, bloodlines, etc...My main concern is health, I'm certainly not going to show him/her anywhere. As I mentioned earlier, our first dog lived to 11, which is average for a golden,  and we paid $325 for him at the time with no guarantees on health or anything of that nature. Now, I'm looking at dogs between $900 -$3500, which I think is insane. Does anyone have any experience with with breeders or any recommendations on whether the extra money is for lineage and certifications is worth it with regards to health, temperament and training?

Just got our third golden. This one from Harbor View Goldens in Erie, which is a long (7 hour drive) from me. 

The best bred for health will be in excess of 2K. Harbor View has a stellar rep for healthy dogs. 

Can chat in email if you want info. 

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Just got our third golden. This one from Harbor View Goldens in Erie, which is a long (7 hour drive) from me. 

The best bred for health will be in excess of 2K. Harbor View has a stellar rep for healthy dogs. 

Can chat in email if you want info. 

Thanks for the heads up. We just put a deposit down on one from a breeder in NJ. He did a pretty good job of explaining the science behind coefficient of inbreeding, which I never heard of before, but it's supposed to help longevity. We're going to pick him up in 8-10 weeks.

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thanks for the heads up. We just put a deposit down on one from a breeder in NJ. He did a pretty good job of explaining the science behind coefficient of inbreeding, which I never heard of before, but it's supposed to help longevity. We're going to pick him up in 8-10 weeks.

Saw that after I posted. I left my post up for others. Your golden will be great. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/11/2019 at 5:56 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I decided not to go with an adult rescue. My kids are both still fairly young and I just feel more comfortable getting puppy and letting it grow up around them and where I can do the training. I know most rescues are ok, but I just don't want to take the chance of of not knowing their history. 

Since my wife and I have been together, we have “rescued” all of our dogs with mixed results.  The first was a mini dachshund named Guinness.  He was a good dog and we loved him very much, but had to foster him to another family when we moved to Alaska in 2010.  

Our current dog, a shepherd mix, we adopted about a year ago.  Came up to VT from a kill shelter down in SC.  When we brought her home she wouldn’t even come near me or look at me.  She was great with the wife and kids, but as much as I tried to be sweet to her, she still to this day rarely will even engage with me.  It’s very clear that somewhere along the way she was abused by an adult male.  It sucks.

I often say to her jokingly (and my kids get a kick out of it) “I not going to kill you today, Cricket, not today.....”  ?

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Reached out about this dog.  Hoping to see it in the next few days.  It's currently at a foster home about 30 minutes away.

It's a German Shepherd and Golden Retriever mix.

Baron 4

Good mix. Probably a nice dog.

Wife and I rescued our dog Harry when he was a year old. He will be 14 years old in June. Aussie, Border Collie, Healer mix, he is one of the smartest, most loyal, and loving dogs I've ever known. Super athletic still and an amazing ball catcher. He gets tired quicker than he used to though.  Good luck and have fun with your new friend.

I tried to upload a pic but it's telling me I can only upload 204 kb or something like that. 

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My application was rejected this morning.  I’m currently in an apartment for the next year  before buying again.  The foster family doesnt think he’s suited for that.

Sorry to hear that RWC..ridiculous.

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My application was rejected this morning.  I’m currently in an apartment for the next year  before buying again.  The foster family doesnt think he’s suited for that.

Sorry to hear that as well, our space is not huge but we spend plenty of time outdoors with the dog regardless of the weather. 

Hope you find another dog that needs a loving home. 

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you adopting a kid or a dog?