Live Blues in Buffalo

Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm jealous.  I'm winding down and getting ready to go to bed to work more overtime tomorrow! I miss the old days of closing down the bar on a Thursday night.  Have a beer for me.

Hahah I will have a glass of crown hahah

Tralf Music Hall not exactly a dive bar... acoustics are top notch

Saw James Brown here before and Rodger Hodgson 

• Like (+1) 1

We live in a Blues wasteland!  One of the few things I miss about living in Seattle is Jazz Alley.  Also KPLU, which when we lived there was the go to FM station for jazz/blues.  If you could steer around the NPR crap, it was very enjoyable.  We've been gone since 2003, so maybe things have changed?   So many of the artists/musicians have passed away, it's sad!

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m at the Tralf downtown Buffalo listening to old school blues artist Joe Lewis Walker and he is rocking down the house

The blues is the best

He's going to play Cambridge, Mass next month. I might go. Thanks for the tip.

The way I recall it, all of WNY was feeling the Blues on most Mondays during the season....

Sounds like a terrific evening. I never got to the Tralf, left for college at 17 and only occasionally made it back. You often regret the things you didn’t do in life more than what you did. I’ve been fortunate, but this is one of many things on the list. 

On 1/11/2019 at 12:37 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

We live in a Blues wasteland!  One of the few things I miss about living in Seattle is Jazz Alley.  Also KPLU, which when we lived there was the go to FM station for jazz/blues.  If you could steer around the NPR crap, it was very enjoyable.  We've been gone since 2003, so maybe things have changed?   So many of the artists/musicians have passed away, it's sad!

are you nuts? Maybe out there in the hinterlands on the wrong side o da rivvuh there is nothing, bit plenty of Blues at the Camal , Tinpan, even The National. . Come ion into the city if ya like blues and jazz, there is a ton of it here

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

are you nuts? Maybe out there in the hinterlands on the wrong side o da rivvuh there is nothing, bit plenty of Blues at the Camal , Tinpan, even The National. . Come ion into the city if ya like blues and jazz, there is a ton of it here

No thanks!  Tinpan is a bit too far and the there's no way I'd go to either Canal or National because of location.

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

No thanks!  Tinpan is a bit too far and the there's no way I'd go to either Canal or National because of location.

Haha, So in other words there’s no blues or jazz Within a block of your House. Too bad you miss so much of what is good about Richmond. Serious question, did you ever go to downtown Buffalo when you live there? 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:43 PM, plenzmd1 said:

this 9-year-old post still relevant! yes, that was me at the tralf in85 seeing Dizzy!

I served Dizzy after a set in early 90s.  I got a standing only pass from owner and waiters were too busy so went to him and asked if he needed anything.  Just water he wanted. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Just thought I would let you know,, My 17 year-old son Is going to the national tonight to see Umphrey’s McGee. I think @Chef Jim would approve ! I Hope he OK in thebig bad city!?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just thought I would let you know,, My 17 year-old son Is going to the national tonight to see Umphrey’s McGee. I think @Chef Jim would approve ! I Hope he OK in thebig bad city!?

Approve in spades. I flew to Atlanta for night two of their NYE run. Best concert ever!  Flying to Oakland beginning of March for there Fox Theater show. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Haha, So in other words there’s no blues or jazz Within a block of your House. Too bad you miss so much of what is good about Richmond. Serious question, did you ever go to downtown Buffalo when you live there? 

Have not lived in BUF since 1970. 

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yes, lots of great music in the area. I don’t live on the southside (we live in Ashland) but in the last few months have been to shows on the southside like Crossroads Coffee to see good bands. Also will add The Broadberry in RVA to the other places @plenzmd1mentioned. Going to DAR Constitution Hall in DC fairly soon to see Saucerful of Secrets and Gypsy Sally’s to see Grateful Shred. Have journeyed up a few times in the past couple years to see shows at the 930 too.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1