Ranking of 2nd round picks

Reader

Hey all, 

I was thinking about the team and how much the draft is depended on. I thought about players in the 2nd round as many have been polarizing players and would be curious as to others' opinions of these players especially as some were great for a short amount of time, while others were consistently okay (some would argue better and some worse). You'll note that I am omitting players who I consider to be either busts (Hardy, Troup, etc) or home runs (Schobel, Woods, Glenn, etc).

How would you rank the following players in terms of how good of players they are/were?

Josh Reed

Chris Kelsay

Roscoe Parrish

Jairus Byrd

Aaron Williams

Kiko Alonso (I'm not sure how he compares from a talent perspective. If I rank him guided by emotion he would be last)

Roald Darby

Reggie Ragland

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Josh Reed: Meh

Chris Kelsay: hung around for a long time. Never a high impact guy, but decent career.

Roscoe Parrish: Great punt returner. Never a high impact offensive player. Decent career.

Jairus Byrd: Home run pick. Great player(with the Bills)

Aaron Williams: Was developing into a solid safety. Unfortunate ending.

Kiko Alonso: Very solid pick regardless of how you feel about him personally

Ronald Darby: Excellent pick

Reggie Ragland: Meh

Zay Jones: Looks like a poor draft choice right now, but still has a chance to improve and contribute.

Dion Dawkins: Looks like a solid pick.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Josh Reed: Meh

Chris Kelsay: hung around for a long time. Never a high impact guy, but decent career.

Roscoe Parrish: Great punt returner. Never a high impact offensive player. Decent career.

Jairus Byrd: Home run pick. Great player(with the Bills)

Aaron Williams: Was developing into a solid safety. Unfortunate ending.

Kiko Alonso: Very solid pick regardless of how you feel about him personally

Ronald Darby: Excellent pick

Reggie Ragland: Meh

Zay Jones: Looks like a poor draft choice right now, but still has a chance to improve and contribute.

Dion Dawkins: Looks like a solid pick.

I think Byrd is most interesting to me, as for his rookie contract he was by far the best, but then got injured and never seemed to recover. I'm curious if a 4 year great player is better than a 10 year okay player like Kelsay.

Ragland would definitely be last as he did absolutely nothing for us and was traded for a 4th after being drafted in the second. I want to say Aaron Williams is #1 on that list but there is serious consideration for Byrd who had some good years for us before his less than awesome final year and departure.

Just now, Reader said:

I think Byrd is most interesting to me, as for his rookie contract he was by far the best, but then got injured and never seemed to recover. I'm curious if a 4 year great player is better than a 10 year okay player like Kelsay.

I would say the Bills got more out of Byrd's 4 years than they did out of Kelsay's 10.

• Like (+1) 1

Jairus Byrd was a Probowl player

Dion Dawkins almost immediate started

Chris Kelsay seemed always good enough to start

Roald Darby same as Kelsey

Kiko Alonso I mean, he is starting....

Reggie Ragland -????

Aaron Williams All four of these guys needed some time or change of positioning to be successful and even then were decent to good

Zay Jones

Josh Reed

Roscoe Parrish

3 minutes ago, brianb386 said:

Ragland would definitely be last as he did absolutely nothing for us and was traded for a 4th after being drafted in the second. I want to say Aaron Williams is #1 on that list but there is serious consideration for Byrd who had some good years for us before his less than awesome final year and departure.

Williams is interesting to me. For a while he seemed like a bust as CB and needed time to become good. I'm hoping Zay is similar to him.

9 minutes ago, Reader said:

Hey all, 

I was thinking about the team and how much the draft is depended on. I thought about players in the 2nd round as many have been polarizing players and would be curious as to others' opinions of these players especially as some were great for a short amount of time, while others were consistently okay (some would argue better and some worse). You'll note that I am omitting players who I consider to be either busts (Hardy, Troup, etc) or home runs (Schobel, Woods, Glenn, etc).

How would you rank the following players in terms of how good of players they are/were?

Josh Reed

Chris Kelsay

Roscoe Parrish

Jairus Byrd

Aaron Williams

Kiko Alonso (I'm not sure how he compares from a talent perspective. If I rank him guided by emotion he would be last)

Roald Darby

Reggie Ragland

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Mind you I'm answering these all with my own opinion.  Take it for what you will.

Reed sucked.  All the drops of Zay but with less athleticism.

Kelsay sucked.  I have no idea why they kept him around but our defense was lousy almost the entire time he was here.

Parrish was a poor mans Tavon Austin.

Byrd played well here and then injuries derailed him.

Williams was drafted as a corner and actually played corner and safety at different times.   Moved to and took Byrd's spot and looked like he was going to be great unil the injuries.

Alonso is a good he got injured and McCoy trade. 

Darby is good but I think with our current defense there is less focus on man and thus Darby was expendable.

Ragland looked (in camp) like a winner but got injured and moved on to KC.  Showed flashes last year but the KC defense hasn't exactly been shutting people down this year.

Zay got better this year.  Did he peak or is he going to continue on and be a decent receiver?   The drops are what makes you pull your hair out.

Dawkins seems like an absolutely solid pick. He just needs to stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Jairus Byrd- Dude was all pro caliber until injury

2. Aaron Williams- pro bowl caliber until injury. Sad to write that twice

3. Dion Dawkins- Has played 2 years at LT from rookie on and for the most part has looked the part. That is incredibly tough especially for that position. Still very high on him.

4. Ronald Darby- When he is not injured he is very good and has pro bowl talent

5. Kiko Alonso-  Pro Bowl talent mixed with not much in the brain makes a solid but flawed LB. But still solid LB

6. Chris Kelsay- Productive player who you would be okay getting a career from. On a better team he is probably a great rotational player

7. Roscoe Parrish- His numbers are not far off from Reed and his return skills were dominant by comparison. Wasn't worth a 2nd in my eyes but still solid and injuries make him a big what if.

8. Josh Reed- Talent was there never completely put it together but he last for a while. 

9. Zay Jones- One atrocious year and one year he played OK. Some good some bad 2019 season will be big in his future. Truthfully I think he is WR4 after Foster, FA addition, and draft pick. Not enough for 2nd round.

10. Reggie Ragland- Bleacher report named him worst player on Chiefs in 2018. He is player which the game passed him by and knee injury may have torpedoed whatever he had. Never liked the trade at the time and it's amazing we got anything for him.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Kelsay in particular everyone seemed to like but the guy couldn't set the edge, he couldn't pass rush, and they paid him like he was great.  Him and Denny both were the picture of mediocre and the stuck around for years.

At least he was a half-way respectable DE.  Remember when they tried to turn him into a 3-4 OLB?  Hilariously bad.

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

Hey all, 

Josh Reed

Chris Kelsay

Roscoe Parrish

Jairus Byrd

Aaron Williams

Roald Darby

Reggie Ragland

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Of that group I would say Darby was the best.

Byrd had a few very good years. Same as AW23

Zay- Not good so far

Kiko- Average

Ragland- Mediocre

Dawkins- Looks descent and I like the potential

Kelsay- Carved out a descent career. Average to slightly above

Parrish- Mediocre

Josh Reed- Descent feisty career

The only 2 players that played to a 2nd round value were Byrd & Williams. Dawkins has a shot to join that list if he improves or moves to RT. The rest are just average low impact NFL players. Tragically I had high hopes for James Hardy. And how Kelsay lasted as long as he did is Buffalo lore....

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

At least he was a half-way respectable DE.  Remember when they tried to turn him into a 3-4 OLB?  Hilariously bad.

One of those two caught a fake kick .............. I think that might have helped people remember them as being better.  I swear our defenses were awful for years.  Hell even Schobel.  We had LB sized DL players and midgets behind them (Coy Wire and London Fletcher ect.)  We got run on week in and week out for 3 or 4 seasons.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

One of those two caught a fake kick .............. I think that might have helped people remember them as being better.  I swear our defenses were awful for years.  Hell even Schobel.  We had LB sized DL players and midgets behind them (Coy Wire and London Fletcher ect.)  We got run on week in and week out for 3 or 4 seasons.

Schobel managed to at least get pressure on QB's. He usually showed up for NE games so I probably remember him as better than he was. Denney caught a fake kick, Kelsay blocked a Dallas throw and caught it in the endzone for a touchdown.

59 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Kelsay in particular everyone seemed to like but the guy couldn't set the edge, he couldn't pass rush, and they paid him like he was great.  Him and Denny both were the picture of mediocre and the stuck around for years.

I used to refer to them as Dennelsay. Decent depth ends that had no business playing a prominent role. We always had a crap pass rush during those years.