Four years after drafting Winston and Mariota 1 and 2, the Bucs and Titans are in “QB Purgatory”

YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i thought you were referring to the smallest violin.

Yeah i kind of remember that.

He wasn't lying though lol !

Yet somehow the Cheaps were able to come up with back to back franchise QB s without languishing in "Purgatory" very long.  Same with Pack, Hawks, Cowboys, Colts, and Washington.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, DCOrange said:

I think there's at least a chance that Jameis gets a huge contract in Tampa. I don't really foresee that at this point with Mariota, mainly because he can't stay healthy, but he also hasn't been very productive even when he is healthy.

I don't envy the position either of those teams are in though. In my opinion, the worst QB situation to be in is having to pay a guy you know is an average-ish starter $20+ million per year. In that situation, I'd rather kick them to the curb and take my chances with a cheap vet and the draft. I imagine that if Jameis has another solid season, he'll get paid though; he already owns basically every passing record in Tampa's history and he's only a year older than Baker Mayfield.

Buddy?  Buddy Nix, is that you?

On 1/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Philo Beddoe said:

Yup, I agree with this. Also remember that he has had essentially zero run game to support him for the majority of his time in Detroit. 

Tough as nails and has a shot to be a real iron Man following his early injuries too. I can respect Stat Padford. Many franchises would be lucky to have him. Not a curse at all. Detroit just hasn't had a good team. Honestly.. when hasn't he been their best player since Megatron left.

Mariota will not be a good enough passer to win with consistently. He’s okay, but not good enough IMO. Tyrod Taylor with slightly more ability and way to many expectations. Winston is excellent and will be great with Arians. TB has a lot of issues but the QB isn’t one of them. If they are dumb enough to move on from him, another team will take him in a second and make him a star.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, Wo-Bah said:

To the bold: no, personally, I would not.  I actually think he's a better than average QB, with little talent around him.  Huge arm, can read defenses, always has command of the huddle, and a leader.

And 6-53 against teams with a winning record.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:25 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Today . They are both heading into  their 5th year options and will either need signed to franchise QB deals by the teams that drafted them, or set free to the market. 

...thanks bud....both had their 5th year picked up for $20+ mil....projected 2019 QB tag is $21.2 mil, which strangely is a DECLINE from 2018 at $23.2 mil.....so you could tag them for about the same money as their 2019 pay if, and a BIG IF the value is there performance wise.....I'd say both should be closer to the Keenum deal, but they may see greener pastures elsewhere....somebody probably throws out stupid money...

Case Keenum signed a 2 year, $36,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $25,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2018, Keenum will earn a base salary of $8,000,000, a signing bonus of $6,000,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,000,000 and a dead cap value of $25,000,000.

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

In 2018, Keenum will earn a base salary of $8,000,000, a signing bonus of $6,000,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,000,000 and a dead cap value of $25,000,000.

‘A Bargain at Twice the Price!’ ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
?

I would prefer mariota over the others mentioned.

Most of us were shaking our heads at the cousins signing. and miami was just doing what a clownlike franchise does...making huge mistakes.

Lets be patient and discerning with Josh until we can be confident that he is worth some big money.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, SoTier said:

^^^

I think that's called "JayCutleritis"

Cutler is the most stoned looking professional athlete I have ever seen

• Like (+1) 1

Which is where we are likely to be in a few years -- like Jacksonville and Miami. They took too long to realize that their QB's weren't all that good, but hung on to them too long because they invested so heavily in them. I hope we don't make the same mistake with Allen.