Four years after drafting Winston and Mariota 1 and 2, the Bucs and Titans are in “QB Purgatory”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That term will always remind me of Doug Whaley 

Yep.........possibly the dumbest thing he ever said as a Bill.

And of course the apologist crowd here ate it up.

While the % of QB's drafted that become franchise types is low............the list of QB's that the Bills took a pass on since draft day 2000 was long enough and full of guys who took their teams to SB's to call "purgatory" as bullish*t.

Meanwhile the only #1 overall picks to win SB's in the 2000's are/were the Manning bros...........and before that the most recently drafted #1 overall QB to win a SB had been Aikman drafted in 1989(though 1983 #1 Elway won 2 SB's in the late 1990's).    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Winston actually would be a good NFL QB if he could cut out the extra curricular and the turnovers. Those are his big downfall. He gets sacked a ton and TB has no defense whatsoever. 

Would I give either big money? No but I think maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

They have themselves Andy Daltonitis.  Being better than any immediate replacements but not good enough to take you where you want to go, while costing a pretty penny.  If you have Andy Daltonitis, the Doctor would recommend building the best defense in football or removing the limb 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If I was Tampa I probably do not worry much about giving Jamies a big contract. He plays good enough to warrant making top 10 starter money. With the right coach and his supporting cast, he will live up to that contract. Mariota I feel is the new definition of average. I would not want to give that man a big contract at all. The Titan’s problem, though, is there any alternative? You drafted the guy high, can you really give up on him and try to hit in the draft. With his injury history and production I move on. Will the Titan’s? I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

If I was Tampa I probably do not worry much about giving Jamies a big contract. He plays good enough to warrant making top 10 starter money. With the right coach and his supporting cast, he will live up to that contract. Mariota I feel is the new definition of average. I would not want to give that man a big contract at all. The Titan’s problem, though, is there any alternative? You drafted the guy high, can you really give up on him and try to hit in the draft. With his injury history and production I move on. Will the Titan’s? I doubt it. 

Jameis just seems like... i dunno-  he makes a fair amount of good throws.  But man does he occasionally have some stinkers.  And just generally a few times a game you go... what are you doing?! walking into sacks, throwing into coverage, sailing throws over the middle, poor ball control

This is also why you don’t retain a bad coach for the sake of continuity.

20 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Jameis just seems like... i dunno-  he makes a fair amount of good throws.  But man does he occasionally have some stinkers.  And just generally a few times a game you go... what are you doing?! walking into sacks, throwing into coverage, sailing throws over the middle, poor ball control

Jameis has all the arm talent in the world and has great weapons.  His decision making on and off the field is so dumb though.

and I was never sold on Mariota.  Kinda of gimmicky and gets hurt all the time.  But he looked pretty good his 2nd year. 

33 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

if i remember correctly, Gruden loved Mariota coming out of school when he was doing his Gruden QB segments for ESPN or whoever.  Maybe the Raiders go from one brutal QB deal to another...

Gruden loved EJ too.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Let me pull out the world's smallest violin...

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

In fact, I don't ever recall hearing that phrase before Whaley. If he was smart, he'd have patented it and could be collecting royalties now?

My mother used to say this to us when my sisters and I were kids back in the '70s and early '80s.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Winston's off-field issues naturally raise questions about him.

Mariota?  He's going to have his fifth OC in five years?  They're in coaching purgatory, not QB purgatory. 

Meh.  Good QB's generally afford some coaching stability. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:
Would you sign either to a giant QB deal?

No F'n way.  There are two ways to win in this league as I see it. 

1.  Have one of the best QBs around and pay them what they deserve.  Brady, Rogers, Brees, that level of guy.

2.  Hit on a young QB in their rookie deal that is "good enough" and spend on talent around them while they are still cheap.  If he really shines you sign him to money referred to in point #1 and ride him for 10 more years.

2b.  Get a good, cheap back-up/journeyman type that could also potentially thrive surrounded by the right talent, or just have a magical season like the Vikings last year (or Foles).

There is no "overpay for mediocre at best QBs at the expense of the rest of the roster's talent and then go win a Super Bowl."

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

Don't know what it was like on this board because I was on that other board back then.  On that other board many people were so sure that these two were the next big stars.  Just about every QB is when the Bills don't draft them.  That's why when draft time came I laugh almost every time someone bangs the table saying the Bills will be sorry.  Some of them were right maybe once now (Mahomes) and wrong 100 more times.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1