Four years after drafting Winston and Mariota 1 and 2, the Bucs and Titans are in “QB Purgatory”

YoloinOhio

Great link again Yolo. I absolutely would not want to sign either of these guys to a monster deal. Are they better than what we've trotted out for much of the year outside of Allen? Sure. But that's not the question. Just good enough to avoid a straight up QB housecleaning, but most certainly not good enough to take you to the promised land on their shoulders, which is the ultimate goal (or should be) of any FO. Would you also add someone like Matthew Stafford to this mix? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great link again Yolo. I absolutely would not want to sign either of these guys to a monster deal. Are they better than what we've trotted out for much of the year outside of Allen? Sure. But that's not the question. Just good enough to avoid a straight up QB housecleaning, but most certainly not good enough to take you to the promised land on their shoulders, which is the ultimate goal (or should be) of any FO. Would you also add someone like Matthew Stafford to this mix? 

I have heard he could be traded. He is kind of like Cousins in a way. Stat accumulator but not a winner. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And one of the folks on here who makes grand proclamations about how smart he is at assessing QB play, constantly criticizes Allen,  etc. etc., when that draft was coming up claimed he'd trade an entire draft for Winston.

Who??

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't sign either of them to a huge deal, Mariotta can't stay healthy enough to see some on-field progress, and Winston might have more upside after TB signed Arians. But Arians can only do so much, I don't think Winston will stay out of trouble off the field long enough to reap the benefits of Arians tutelage. 

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

To the bold: no, personally, I would not.  I actually think he's a better than average QB, with little talent around him.  Huge arm, can read defenses, always has command of the huddle, and a leader.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

To the bold: no, personally, I would not.  I actually think he's a better than average QB, with little talent around him.  Huge arm, can read defenses, always has command of the huddle, and a leader.

Yup, I agree with this. Also remember that he has had essentially zero run game to support him for the majority of his time in Detroit. 

I think there's at least a chance that Jameis gets a huge contract in Tampa. I don't really foresee that at this point with Mariota, mainly because he can't stay healthy, but he also hasn't been very productive even when he is healthy.

I don't envy the position either of those teams are in though. In my opinion, the worst QB situation to be in is having to pay a guy you know is an average-ish starter $20+ million per year. In that situation, I'd rather kick them to the curb and take my chances with a cheap vet and the draft. I imagine that if Jameis has another solid season, he'll get paid though; he already owns basically every passing record in Tampa's history and he's only a year older than Baker Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 1