Four years after drafting Winston and Mariota 1 and 2, the Bucs and Titans are in “QB Purgatory”

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, Magox said:

Otherwise known as the Tannehill Conundrum 

This happens a lot. Heck it's happened to us a couple of times.  EJ and JP.

Gosh I hope it doesn't happen this time.Neck

the Fannyhill situation is worse though.  Too good to dump and start over, but not good enough and too injury prone to win with.  Still shocked the Fish resigned him.

4 hours ago, eanyills said:

That’s not what Whaley meant by QB purgatory. He simply meant that the Bills hadn’t had that franchise-caliber QB to lead the team, not that none had existed in the draft all those years.

The team was in QB purgatory, not the league. It was a great phrase.

No what he meant was that the Bills couldn't get one in the draft because they didn't lose enough games to select one at the top of the draft.

Which appealed to the apologist portion of the fanbase who thought that mediocrity in the standings was holding the team back..........when it wasn't.

The most consistently successful organizations of the 2000's rose from mediocrity..........they didn't tank to facilitate their success...........mediocrity is in fact a lot better place to start than tanking.

The Bills weren't in QB purgatory they just didn't pull the trigger that smarter/more QB-aggressive teams did.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have heard he could be traded. He is kind of like Cousins in a way. Stat accumulator but not a winner. 

thats what i see in Stafford as well. He piles up the numbers but when its crunch time he folds.

Allen is the opposite, stats blow but when you need a big play he delivers (unless WRs drop the ball)

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Nope ,

but Arians should help Winston a lot, and if he cant no one can.

Why ?

I linked it earlier in the thread - so surprised no one else remembers him saying that! He said the Bills were in QB purgatory back when they had Tyrod and EJ

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I linked it earlier in the thread - so surprised no one else remembers him saying that! He said the Bills were in QB purgatory back when they had Tyrod and EJ

i thought you were referring to the smallest violin.

Yeah i kind of remember that.

He wasn't lying though lol !

Jameis is interesting, he makes some pretty great plays from time to time but I believe his mistakes outweigh the good. I would give him one year with Bruce and see what you have. Marcus is a bit of a surprise to me, watching him live at UofO many times i thought he would translate pretty well in the NFL but I think he is going to be a highly paid backup in a year or two.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I just hope Three years from now the Bills aren't in QB purgatory.   I think Minnesota & Arizona are going to be.

i don't think any middle for JA..he will be a bust or be great IMHO.

this time last year i would bet my right nut he would be a bust, now I am leaning 60/40 he will be awesome

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would you sign either to a giant QB deal?

QB purgatory indeed.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I think that both teams need to openly explore a possible trade for a vet QB and also look to the draft.  I'm very skeptical that either will ever be better than lower average.

If I had to guess I'd say Mariota stays, Winston goes. (although hasn't Winston gotten the dreaded vote of confidence from ownership?)

14 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not a fan of immaturity, but I wonder if it’s true that Winston stopped drinking after the Uber groping incident. I did hear that. I haven’t paid much attention, but it’s been a couple years since he’s been an idiot, right? The actual Uber incident was a while ago. That might give me some hope, if true. I’m more concerned about the direction of his life than his football career, but if he gets his life right, the whole football thing stands a much better chance.

Did he end this year on the upswing?  Was he hurt, playing lousy or just a jerk when Fitzy was playing early on? I’m really not sure, but certainly curious. 

He was suspended at the beginning of the year because of the Uber incident and Fitzy was playing at an MVP level early on, so he got to keep the job until he returned to being the usual Fitz. Then Jameis came back, had a few decent games and one horrific game against Cinci (I think) and got benched again. And then Fitz was Fitz again so they came back to Jameis once again and from there on out, he was rated as like a top 5 QB based on QBR; 13 TDs to 4 INTs the last 6.25 games. Jameis has done this before where he's finished the season on a hot streak and then come back and been the same guy again, so we'll see. But the last 6.25 games (he checked in for Fitz late in the 3rd quarter and then started the final 6 games), he was playing at a 64% completion percentage, 33 TD/10 INT, 5000 yard pace (including rushing), so he definitely finished on the upswing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With Winston, I’m not surprised that they are trying to salvage him by bringing in Arians. I do think that’s a good match. Maybe it will work. I do think it’s a bit much to stand up there and announce that they are “building the team around Jamies” and BA says he thinks he can win a SB. I mean he’s been benched repeatedly has he not? And when not benched he’s not shown that level of ability or leadership. And the last guy they hired was supposed to be solely due to his relationship with Jameis.  It was just a bit over the top support from the organization for a guy I don’t think deserved it. Maybe it was all just lip service. Or BA is the long lost Ryan brother. “Get ready, cuz we’re goin’!!”

Edited by YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, dneveu said:

Jameis just seems like... i dunno-  he makes a fair amount of good throws.  But man does he occasionally have some stinkers.  And just generally a few times a game you go... what are you doing?! walking into sacks, throwing into coverage, sailing throws over the middle, poor ball control

^^^

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He was suspended at the beginning of the year because of the Uber incident and Fitzy was playing at an MVP level early on, so he got to keep the job until he returned to being the usual Fitz. Then Jameis came back, had a few decent games and one horrific game against Cinci (I think) and got benched again. And then Fitz was Fitz again so they came back to Jameis once again and from there on out, he was rated as like a top 5 QB based on QBR; 13 TDs to 4 INTs the last 6.25 games. Jameis has done this before where he's finished the season on a hot streak and then come back and been the same guy again, so we'll see. But the last 6.25 games (he checked in for Fitz late in the 3rd quarter and then started the final 6 games), he was playing at a 64% completion percentage, 33 TD/10 INT, 5000 yard pace (including rushing), so he definitely finished on the upswing.

I think that's called "JayCutleritis"

I know we all make fun of posters claiming inside  sources, but I have an excellent one with TB...my hometown handle may help some of you make the connection. So book it, TB absolutely, 100% picks up Winston's option. If I'm wrong, I promise not to post for 1 year. (PS...not saying I would pick up his option...just telling you what I've learned.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Roch Jim said:

I know we all make fun of posters claiming inside  sources, but I have an excellent one with TB...my hometown handle may help some of you make the connection. So book it, TB absolutely, 100% picks up Winston's option. If I'm wrong, I promise not to post for 1 year. (PS...not saying I would pick up his option...just telling you what I've learned.)

What in the world does Rochester have to do with Jamaeious Winston? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, don't necessarily believe you have inside info, notice you've only posted 16 times, yet remain intrigued.