Poll of NFL players on QB (was: rookie QB Roundup)

Kemp

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

not surprised about Cousins. Somewhat surprised on Cam.

Perception is a funny thing.  I'm dying to know who is 'rating' Cousins as a top QB.  How is he always overrated when apparently everyone agrees he's terrible?   Seems to me like he's slightly above average and has never been put in a class higher than that.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I do think Cam is underated. Some people say he is trash. Clearly he isn't. He's a top 12 QB in this league. He had an MVP season. I think some of his antics run people the wrong way.

He's about 12th.  Again, he's a little above average so not sure how he's so underrated.  No one has ever said Newton is a bottom of the barrel QB.

Just now, KD in CA said:

He's about 12th.  Again, he's a little above average so not sure how he's so underrated.  No one has ever said Newton is a bottom of the barrel QB.

No, there are plenty of people who say some pretty nasty stuff about Cam. I have seen many claims that he is a crappy QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

No, there are plenty of people who say some pretty nasty stuff about Cam. I have seen many claims that he is a crappy QB.

Nasty stuff doesn't necessarily mean = QB talent.  And of course when one group of people are overboard on their praise (there's always been a vocal group proclaiming Newton as being great), that naturally creates another group who go overboard in the other direction.

I've always thought he was a mediocre passer and a crappy leader, but he can (inconsistently) make plays so if I had one game to win I would still pick him over most other starting QBs.....but I wouldn't put money on him!

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Perception is a funny thing.  I'm dying to know who is 'rating' Cousins as a top QB.  How is he always overrated when apparently everyone agrees he's terrible?   Seems to me like he's slightly above average and has never been put in a class higher than that.

Many people have made that take haha. Plus he's capable of being the best. We saw what a force he was his MVP year. Defenders definitely haven't forgotten gameplanning the QB that had the capability to smash their linebackers into oblivion for 4 quarters. Dunno if he ever gets back to that but he's anywhere from #12-#1 any given year.

I think Cam plays best and Ron Rivera is best served running Cam into the ground while he still is in his athletic prime. He can take the beating, but limiting from what he did best in 2014 is taking away his physical advantages from him. Cam trucking LBs and dealing out punishment is a far safer play than getting rocked from his blindside in the pocket. I'd say the same thing about JA.

And idk why we don't notice he clearly struggled due to injury this year.. directly killing the Panthers as he broke down. He got shut down for a reas on this year as he could barely throw the ball 30 yards. Cam in his last few games wasn't regular ole Cam. He was gimping to get the panthers any chance at playoffs because even 30% Cam was still better than any other option lol.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Because an NFL team, full of highly-paid talent evaluators and coaches, gave him $90 million guaranteed.

Edited by CLTbills

Just now, CLTbills said:

Because an NFL team, full of highly-paid talent evaluators and coaches, gave him $90 million guaranteed.

When did his contract go up $90m?

For the thousandth time, his contract was based on supply and demand in the market, not based on the Vikings thinking he was a 'top 5' or 'top 10' or whatever QB.   They correctly judged they needed a veteran QB and paid a premium to get the best one available.  They exchanged a slightly higher per year average and a mostly meaningless guarantee (would they really want to cut him anyway?) for a shorter term so that they could revisit the issue in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

For the thousandth time, his contract was based on supply and demand in the market, not based on the Vikings thinking he was a 'top 5' or 'top 10' or whatever QB.   They correctly judged they needed a veteran QB and paid a premium to get the best one available.  They exchanged a slightly higher per year average and a mostly meaningless guarantee (would they really want to cut him anyway?) for a shorter term so that they could revisit the issue in 2021.

So sorry. 84 million. still fully guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I'm not a fan of Cousins, but it doesn't look like any of the QB's they got rid of would have been any better. Bradford is toast. Keenum was trash. Bridgewater seems like damaged goods. The only one you could make a case for is Bridgewater, but they were in win now mode. It didn't work out, but I understand their rationale. Keenum is who we thought he was, so they let him off the hook.

58 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a fan of Cousins, but it doesn't look like any of the QB's they got rid of would have been any better. Bradford is toast. Keenum was trash. Bridgewater seems like damaged goods. The only one you could make a case for is Bridgewater, but they were in win now mode. It didn't work out, but I understand their rationale. Keenum is who we thought he was, so they let him off the hook.

Cousins oughta be much more consistent than Keenum would have been. Anybody thinking Keenum was going to keep up the season he had last year was being ridiculous. Anybody thinking Cousins could do better every year.. same thing.

But Cousins will put up numbers and be consistently better than Keenum. They could afford the contract and got the best FA QB to hit the market in years. He's not what his contract says he is among NFL QBs. But he's NOT BAD haha. He's just got what the best FA QB to hit the market since Peyton Manning is going to get. If you can afford to overpay to improve you're roster in the short term while you still have some good contracts.. go for it. Why not overpay.

• Like (+1) 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/survey-says-players-take-colin-kaepernick-blake-bortles-141548200.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw via @Yahoo

85 defensive recently took a survey regarding a wide range of topics and included in those discussions was who was the worst QB in the league. So of course Nathan Peterman has in the top 3 in voting but to my surprise multiple defenders put Josh Allen on the list. 

I know Josh Allen has some work to do but from what I can I would rather have Josh Allen as my QB for the next 5 years more than 2/3 of the league. 

Eh, tbh, josh allen shows up way more defenders than any other quarterback. I'm not saying he's in any way the best, but a typical quarterback's biggest moments are limited to deep balls and game winning td passes. Allen's biggest moments come from posterizing defenders, like hurdling over them, or stiff arming them, or dekeing them, or completely turning them around. I can see why some defenders wouldn't care for that and would say he's "terrible". Didn't he go close to .500 in the games he started? I honestly don't know offhand, but he won close to half his contests, meaning he beat half the teams he played. He didn't really have any terrible games. What defenders would say that about him? Because its not like teams that don't play him are watching film on him. So, miami players think he's the worst qb ever?

A player survey was conducted by The Athletic in which they polled 85 defensive players over the last six weeks of the season on “our most pressing quarterback questions.” The article is from a paid site, so feel free to request any additional info that I can share.   https://goo.gl/ns4eVW

Among questions & answers that relate to the Bills, here are a few notable ones:

1. Which Quarterback would you MOST like to face in a big game?

Answer: 1) Tom Brady - 18%, 2) Nathan Peterman - 15%, 3) Aaron Rodgers - 10% (Apparently to pad stats)

2. Who is the most impressive rookie quarterback?

Answer: 1) Baker Mayfield - 60%, 2) Sam Darnold - 21%, 3) Lamar Jackson 7% (No votes for Allen at all)

3. If you could replace one NFL quarterback with Colin Kaepernick, whom would you pick? ***(Previous question asked "Should Colin Kaepernick be on an NFL roster, with 95% "yes" votes)***

Answer1) Blake Bortles - 20%, 2) Nathan Peterman - 18%.  Others receiving multiple votes: Eli Manning, Josh Allen, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, and Josh Rosen. Multiple players also voted for the collective quarterback rosters in Washington and Buffalo.

4. Which quarterback would you least want as your teammate in the locker room?

Answer: 1) Cam Newton - 14%, 2a) Jameis Winston - 11%, 2b) Ben Roethlisberger - 11%. Also receiving multiple votes: Blake Bortles, Philip Rivers, Josh Rose, and Nathan Peterman.

There were quite a few other questions, but these were the only ones where players voted on Buffalo related QB's. None of this is all too surprising, as outside of Buffalo people don't think much of our QB's. What I did find interesting was that Cam Newton was the top pick for who they'd least want as a teammate.

Another interesting one was "Which QB would you least like to face in a big game?" to which the top vote receiver was easily Tom Brady with 52% of the vote (next closest was Rodgers at 32%). You might think "duh, who else would it be?" but I think this could partially play into Brady's continued success. Players already have this mentality, though they normally say "we don't care who we play, blah blah blah," when in reality they're hoping to avoid Brady & the Pats. When you already have that mindset, it's easier to let that manifest & affect your play.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.