Poll of NFL players on QB (was: rookie QB Roundup)

Kemp

From The Athletic

Who is the most impressive rookie quarterback?

Top answer: Baker Mayfield 60%

Runner up: Sam Darnold 21%

Note: Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson received 7 percent of the vote, but many of the players surveyed gave their responses in November, before he replaced Joe Flacco as the Ravens’ starter and helped lead them to the AFC North title.

Total number of votes, not including “no comments”: 82

Our view: We expect Mayfield, who led the Browns to seven wins this season, to win the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. But at least one of the defensive players surveyed wasn’t impressed by any of the quarterbacks from the 2018 draft, telling us: “All of them doing pretty bad, aren’t they? OK, next question.”

The Radar

Josh

All doing "pretty bad", lol. I guess they surveyed Jalen Ramsey.

Wait a few years, that class will be looked back upon as a great one. Imo Baker, Darnold, and Allen are all real players, and Lamar and Rosen have a good chance to be as well. It might not be Kelly/Marino/Elway of '83 but will be comparable to Rivers/Rapistberger/Eli draft of '04, in my opinion of course.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the "big 3" of this class are Mayfield, Allen and Darnold.  

Jackson may join the group with a full offseason and season of being QB1.  

Rosen (who I wanted during the draft and did not want Allen), will be solid, but I think those 3-4 have the chance to be great.  

For context, it sounds like at least some of these responses were provided earlier in the year, so:

1. It's likely before Allen's return where he looked significantly better

2. It might have been while he was injured and therefore wasn't even playing so he wouldn't have been on anybody's minds at that point.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

so, if i understand this correctly... this is a poll and subsequent dissertation based  upon a sample size of 82 votes?

mmmkay.

got link?

You have to have a subscription to view the whole thing

https://theathletic.com/737946/2019/01/10/nfl-qb-confidential-defensive-players-vote-on-quarterbacks-from-the-most-overrated-to-the-most-impressive-rookie/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the "big 3" of this class are Mayfield, Allen and Darnold.  

Jackson may join the group with a full offseason and season of being QB1.  

Rosen (who I wanted during the draft and did not want Allen), will be solid, but I think those 3-4 have the chance to be great.  

There will be only Allen, Mayfield and Darnold that come out of the 18 class as successful.  Rosen will eventually succumb to injuries and leave the NFL. And Lamar albeit athletic,  will never be a pocket qb.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

For context, it sounds like at least some of these responses were provided earlier in the year, so:

1. It's likely before Allen's return where he looked significantly better

2. It might have been while he was injured and therefore wasn't even playing so he wouldn't have been on anybody's minds at that point.

You have to have a subscription to view the whole thing

https://theathletic.com/737946/2019/01/10/nfl-qb-confidential-defensive-players-vote-on-quarterbacks-from-the-most-overrated-to-the-most-impressive-rookie/

Oh, this is priceless.  Some of the gems:

"Which quarterback would you most like to face in a big game? Top answer: Tom Brady 18%

Runners up: Nathan Peterman 15%, Aaron Rodgers 10%

Also receiving multiple votes: Jameis Winston, Blake Bortles, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes

If you could replace one NFL quarterback with Colin Kaepernick, whom would you pick?
Top answer: Blake Bortles 20%

Runner up: Nathan Peterman 18%

Also receiving multiple votes: Eli Manning, Josh Allen, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Josh Rosen. Multiple players also voted for the collective quarterback rosters in Washington and Buffalo

ooooooh.

I do think Cam is underated. Some people say he is trash. Clearly he isn't. He's a top 12 QB in this league. He had an MVP season. I think some of his antics run people the wrong way.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I do think Cam is underated. Some people say he is trash. Clearly he isn't. He's a top 12 QB in this league. He had an MVP season. I think some of his antics run people the wrong way.

He hasn't done a ton lately, but when the Bills play him he always makes me nervous about what he possibly could do (run, long throw, short throw, throw on the run, etc.).

That's how I feel and I am just a person watching the game.  I can imagine what I'd think if I actually had to defend him.

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

See...SEE...SEE!!!

SW gets it.

Our guy is more athletic than Cam though which surprised the heck out of me.

It say's most players gave their responses to the poll in November. Not a surprise that Allen wouldn't poll well. Allen mostly played like garbage up to that point. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Poll of NFL players on QB (was: rookie QB Roundup)
3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Our guy is more athletic than Cam though which surprised the heck out of me.

He's also more of a natural leader. He doesn't rub people the wrong way. In fact, he seems to inspire loyalty and effort and this as a raw rookie.