ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Who told you that? In 20 years as a head coach, the highest TD total a QB has ever produced under Reid is 32. Alex Smith was averaging 20 in KC.

Mahomes dropped 52!! It's gonna be a long 15 years if you guys don't let this Mahomes thing go.

It’s hilarious because there have been threads on this board this year saying Mahomes was a bust because he had a bad training camp practice and how overrated Andy Reid was.

if Josh Allen has half of Mahomes numbers, we would build a statue for him.

Just now, Logic said:

Mahomes is really, really good. I'm not questioning that for a second. I'm just saying that I don't think he would have thrown 50 TDs with this o-line, our receivers, and Brian Daboll. Would he still have a darn good season? Probably. But he wouldn't be "Showtime Mahomes" with the Bills' offensive cast, that's all I'm saying.

And for what it's worth, I'd make the trade.

IMO, we make the playoffs with Mahomes this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well and Josh Allen if they switched teams. ?

I don't know why it's such a concern. There is high confidence in Beane and Daboll on TBD. Seems like they'll put Allen in a great spot to succeed and all this will just be something to chuckle about in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Who told you that? In 20 years as a head coach, the highest TD total a QB has ever produced under Reid is 32. Alex Smith was averaging 20 in KC.

Mahomes dropped 52!! It's gonna be a long 15 years if you guys don't let this Mahomes thing go.

I was responding to the OP of this topic with my opinion and what I have heard from TV analysts.  Personally I haven't thought much about Mahomes so he's not something I need to let go.  He was not on my radar in that draft.  I wanted Deshaun Watson not a Big12 QB  I don't recall anyone or any Buffalo media proclaiming prior to that draft that we must pick Mahomes or ripping on the team for not drafting him?!?  I think it's a bunch of the "hindsight is 20/20" crowd now.  I mean why didn't we draft Brady...or Russell Wilson when we had the chance?   

Mahomes is an elite quarterback and a great match for Andy Reid and that offense with the playmakers they have had. Is he better than Allen right now, of course he is. But let’s remember he is a year ahead in his development and coming into this year next to nobody thought Mahomes would be this good. I remember reading articles in the summer that there was some concern over Mahomes and him turning the ball over too much in practice. He then explodes on scene week 1 and has not looked back. But I think it is silly to think Mahomes would have had this level of success as a rookie. 

So I like Mahomes a lot and liked him the best going into the 2017 draft, but Bills were not ready at the time to draft one as McDermott was never going to let Whaley make the most important organizational decision and then fire him. Timeline just did not matchup for us. 

And the way Allen played after returning from injury should give fans hope.  Allen appears to be at minimum a franchise qb that you can win games with but he also has the potential to become one of the top qbs in the NFL. Plus, Allen fits Buffalo and it seems to be a great match with McBeane, Allen and the fans. I think Buffalo has found their match in Allen and I don’t care that much to look back. And the bonus is we also get White, Edmunds and Jones. Building a young corps that can turn this organization around. So Mahomes is a perfect match for KC and Allen is a fit for Buffalo. I’m happy with how it has seemed to work out and optimistic for the future. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I was responding to the OP of this topic with my opinion and what I have heard from TV analysts.  Personally I haven't thought much about Mahomes so he's not something I need to let go.  He was not on my radar in that draft.  I wanted Deshaun Watson not a Big12 QB  I don't recall anyone or any Buffalo media proclaiming prior to that draft that we must pick Mahomes or ripping on the team for not drafting him?!?  I think it's a bunch of the "hindsight is 20/20" crowd now.  I mean why didn't we draft Brady...or Russell Wilson when we had the chance?   

No intention of throwing shade at you personally. Also, I didn't know much about Mahomes pre draft and was skeptical about an Air Raid QB, but I'm not an NFL GM. This will likely pop up from time to time considering the Bills traded the pick that was ultimately used on Mahomes.

A) Allen can end this debate by playing well. If we end up with a good quarterback, it won't be a big deal.

B) This thread would have already died if it weren't for people needlessly bashing Mahomes.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, Southern Bills Fan said:

If the Bills had evaluated Mahomes and thought he could end up looking anything like the guy who has ripped apart the NFL this season, they obviously would have taken him with their first-round pick. Instead, they sent the 10th selection to the Chiefs for the 27th and 91st selections, along with Kansas City's 2018 first-round pick, which ended up as the 22nd pick. The Bills drafted star cornerback Tre'Davious White with Kansas City's 2017 first-rounder, and then used the other two picks in trades that eventually netted them Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds. Sean McDermott undoubtedly loves his two defensive building blocks, and the Bills believe that Josh Allen, their other first-rounder in 2018, can turn into a viable starter, but they would undoubtedly trade all three for Mahomes in a heartbeat.

I don't think that I would. Thoughts? BTW the article crushes the Bills over Gilmore as well.

can someone please fix the misleading headline on this thread.

ESPN is clearly stating:  would Bills trade White/Jones/Edmunds for Mahomes. The use of commas after blocks and Allen separate this thought.

They are not asking for any scenario as to how Bills acquisition of, or draft picks spent for, or any changes after doing anything they already did in any scenario. If they had wanted Allen included in this debate they would have said 4 instead of 3. Allen was last one mentioned so he is #4.

The question is a clear and simple hypothetical question: The use of the word trade does not mean, do you think Chiefs or Bills would could make this trade. It means would you wish you had this or this.

Who would you rather have right now? White/Jones/Edmunds or Mahomes?

Edited by cba fan

It's not Mahomes vs Allen

It's Mahomes on this team and taking White, Edmunds and Allen off.

Mahomes has a great coach in Andy Reid. That matters. Saying it matters is not an attack on Mahomes.

I hope he wins it all because I am an Andy Reid fan and would love to see the next generation of QBs step forward.

He had a crazy statistical year. So did Goff last year and this year.

You've gotta cash in when opportunity presents itself to be considered truly great. No guarantee he will ever have such a good look at a ring. Ask Marino, whose SB year stats in a different era are truly insane, how that works.

Or ask Matt Ryan, who played a key role in blowing a golden opportunity. Great stats though and since as well.

True greatness shows up in January and February. I'll be rooting for him and the Chiefs!

On 1/10/2019 at 8:17 AM, Southern Bills Fan said:

If the Bills had evaluated Mahomes and thought he could end up looking anything like the guy who has ripped apart the NFL this season, they obviously would have taken him with their first-round pick. Instead, they sent the 10th selection to the Chiefs for the 27th and 91st selections, along with Kansas City's 2018 first-round pick, which ended up as the 22nd pick. The Bills drafted star cornerback Tre'Davious White with Kansas City's 2017 first-rounder, and then used the other two picks in trades that eventually netted them Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds. Sean McDermott undoubtedly loves his two defensive building blocks, and the Bills believe that Josh Allen, their other first-rounder in 2018, can turn into a viable starter, but they would undoubtedly trade all three for Mahomes in a heartbeat.

I don't think that I would. Thoughts? BTW the article crushes the Bills over Gilmore as well.

in a new york minute

On 1/10/2019 at 2:07 PM, LSHMEAB said:

It boggles my mind that people don't think Mahomes would be good playing on this team. Like he's entirely a product of the system. That is clearly not true. You can talk about Andy Reid all you like, but Mahomes threw for TWICE as many touchdowns in 18 as Alex Smith did in 17 playing with virtually the same team. 

Alex Smith also threw for 23, 18, 15, and 20 TD's respectively in the previous 4 years under the great Andy Reid. Guess what? Travis Kelce was a member of all of those teams.  

I'm not gonna get into hypothetical, unrealistic trade talk, but people really need to inform themselves if they think Mahomes is just a product of the system. 

I'm more saying it as a knock on Buffalo's offense.. I think Mahomes is a very good qb, time will tell how good.  But I don't think even Aaron Rogers could have put up just average numbers this year had he played for the Bills.

So IMO, put Mahomes in a Bills uniform and there's a high chance that people are calling him a bust.  Allen was able to do some damage because of his freakish athletic ability.. I could be nuts to think that Mahomes would not have fared as well?

Just now, Jobot said:

I'm more saying it as a knock on Buffalo's offense.. I think Mahomes is a very good qb, time will tell how good.  But I don't think even Aaron Rogers could have put up just average numbers this year had he played for the Bills.

So IMO, put Mahomes in a Bills uniform and there's a high chance that people are calling him a bust.  Allen was able to do some damage because of his freakish athletic ability.. I could be nuts to think that Mahomes would not have fared as well?

Yeah. I have a different opinion. I think the great QB's elevate the players around them; even this rag tag bunch.

I believe Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahomes, or Drew Brees would have had "good," not great seasons for the 2018 Bills.

Since all we talk about is Allen/Mahomes, maybe Mahomes would not have fared well as a ROOKIE with the 2018 Bills.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I have a different opinion. I think the great QB's elevate the players around them; even this rag tag bunch.

I believe Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahomes, or Drew Brees would have had "good," not great seasons for the 2018 Bills.

Since all we talk about is Allen/Mahomes, maybe Mahomes would not have fared well as a ROOKIE with the 2018 Bills.

Alternatively, the crew in KC appear to have elevated Alex Smith last season. Maybe the same can be said for Mahomes?

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Hindsight being 20/20, Mahomes would have been a great pick in 2017,  That said, our White, Allen and Edmunds picks are the nucleus of a really special Buffalo Vills team in the near future.

feels good to feel that way, been a long time

if Mahomes goes on to super bowls and we dont then he has a valid point.

If its based on Mahomes walking into a loaded offense and a great play caller that worked one regular season then no.

Everyone is trying to build a super bowl team, at this point its an incomplete after a couple years.

White is 23, Allen 22,  Edmunds 20...slow down were building a good young team on both sides of the ball.

I like Mahomes but I dont love him I think the Colts are going to beat them this week.

For the record no way would I trade those 3 for Mahomes

Posters: Mahomes would NEVER have the same things here he has there so he wouldn't be as good so it's fine we have Allen instead.

SAME PEOPLE: 

WHEN we magically acquire all of those things Mahomes has, Allen will be great! (Wouldn't we be getting those same pieces regardless who is at QB?) 

1 hour ago, CardinalScotts said:

if Mahomes goes on to super bowls and we dont then he has a valid point.

If its based on Mahomes walking into a loaded offense and a great play caller that worked one regular season then no.

Everyone is trying to build a super bowl team, at this point its an incomplete after a couple years.

White is 23, Allen 22,  Edmunds 20...slow down were building a good young team on both sides of the ball.

I like Mahomes but I dont love him I think the Colts are going to beat them this week.

For the record no way would I trade those 3 for Mahomes

"I would not trade 2 unproven rookies and a cornerback for the NFL MVP." A better way of looking at it, is would the other team take that trade. Not in a million years they would. 

Edited by Elite Poster

Andy Reid's offense is always helped quarterbacks put up numbers. Donovan McNabb, Nick foles,  Jeff Garcia,  McMahon,  Alex Smith,  and now Patrick mahomes. What if Josh Allen ran Andy Reid's offense? Yes Patrick mahomes is talented but how much of it is because the offensive system.