ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

As usual. people have no idea of the situation that WAS the 2018 Buffalo Bills.

I repeat, Mahomes WOULD NOT be the QB in Buffalo that he is in KC right now.

He would be a promising prospect going into his third year here.

Allen is a promising prospect going into his second year. Only difference between the two when it comes to being a Buffalo Bills QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

The article is ridiculous.  If Patrick Mahomes would have been drafted by the Bills, sat the bench all season in 2017.  Then start with the talent level (lack of) the Bills have on offense he would have been classified as a bust, let's see:

TE: Clay vs Kelcie - hmmmmmmm, significant downgrade

WR1: Benjamin vs Hill, hmmmmmmmmm, significant downgrade

WR2: Zay Jones vs Sammy Watkins, slight downgrade

OL: Bills crap at 4 positions vs solid KC line, major downgrade

My guess at his stats with Buffalo would be about 30 TD's less passing, more interceptions then Allen threw and about 500 yards less rushing.

Plus a much worse defense now and in the future.

Hence, the article is complete nonsense.

Don't let your bias get in the way. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Can you imagine Josh Allen in KC with all those weapons??? (Especially before Hunt got released) 

The media would be freaking out. Best QB ever hahaha

He may be before all is said and done.  What were Alex smiths numbers with all those weapons?  Oh only 26 Tds not 50.  So it isnt just the weapons, afterall look at some of the weapons and the Oline Tyrod Taylor had.

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We handed the Chiefs a draft pick. 

I agree, it seemed like less than I would have expected, but that seems to be the market rate... based on draft value charts. 

(It was 10th to 27th)

Ouch.  I remembered 21 to 7, 27 to 10 makes it even worse.

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Allen is a promising prospect going into his second year. Only difference between the two when it comes to being a Buffalo Bills QB.

I am very aware but we are hoping and believing Allen will put up numbers like that with better weapons.  I absolutely believe he will.

The difference is we know Mahomes does.  You have to be in the GM chair on this, not the fan chair.

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Ouch.  I remembered 21 to 7, 27 to 10 makes it even worse.

Maybe its a sign 217 in both means they will be equal.

4 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Where does ESPN find these idiots? No wonder ESPN is having financial problems, they put out a lot of crap.

Wait, ESPN is dumb because the said Buffalo would trade for a guy who thew 50 tds in his second year? ?

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I have no clue. But anyone who says they knew for sure Mahomes would look like this is wrong- there are no guarentees here. They were similar prospects coming out- freakish athletes with incredible skill sets and big questions marks. 

So, I don’t know if he’ll look like Mahomes, I even doubt it somewhat due to situation and offense- but I wouldn’t be shocked if he made a jump, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was even good enough to be in the MVP talk. I also wouldn’t be shocked if none of that happened.

thats the point of my post. If he flames out, then we’d trade everything in our bag for Mahomes and the hindsight will look bad for the bills. But if Allens steps up and Mahomes steps back (or even if he stays the same), it changes the conversation. 

Also, as an aside to this whole conversation, Its important to note that you can’t judge whether a decision was right or wrong in the moment based on its outcome- you have to look at the circumstances that led to the decision. If it was obviously the wrong decision at the time (some may argue that about Mahomes, but that seems revisionist to me) that’s one thing, but just because it proves to be the wrong decision with the addition of time, doesn’t mean it was originally. 

Mahomes had 53 tds his last year in college.

Let's take a look at the passing TD statistics throughout Andy Reid's 19 year career as a Head Coach.

Year     Passing TD's

1999    18

2000    21

2001    32

2002    17

2003    27

2004    27

2005    21

2006    18

2007    24

2008    23

2009    27

2010    28

2011    22

2012    18

2013    24

2014    18

2015    20

2016    19

2017    26

2018   50

Case closed.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Imo, Mahomes is flat out a better qb than Allen was coming out of college.  It wasn’t really close.  

What scared me about Allen is he rarely dominate against lesser competition. Mahomes was dominate in college.

allen showed flashes but a lot of what we are hoping for is projection because he never has been a dominant qb. I watch Mahomes get 50 tds in both the pros and college.  That means something.

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So why did 9 other FO’s pass on this once in a generational talent? If college TD’s is the sole measuring stick, then NFL draft order picks should be easy! 

Because they are dumb and Andy Reid knows qbs better than the Bears and other bad teams at the top of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, I did extensive research on both teams and came to the unique conclusion that the BIlls OLine, WRs and TEs are terrible in comparison with Kansas City.

You can read about all my research in Duh Magazine.

Ill take a gander, how much is a subscription?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Imo, Mahomes is flat out a better qb than Allen was coming out of college.  It wasn’t really close.  

What scared me about Allen is he rarely dominate against lesser competition. Mahomes was dominate in college.

allen showed flashes but a lot of what we are hoping for is projection because he never has been a dominant qb. I watch Mahomes get 50 tds in both the pros and college.  That means something.

Because they are dumb and Andy Reid knows qbs better than the Bears and other bad teams at the top of the draft.

Wyoming is one of the worst programs in ALL of college football.

Allen alone made them competitive. 

Mahomes has always had better supporting casts, offensively anyway, as TT's defense with Mahomes was awful, just like Wyoming's.

I loved both Allen and Mahomes coming out, but there were serious questions about both.

The Allen/Mahomes comparisons are just silly to me because McDermott already made his decision that he liked Allen better.

McBeane is going to swim/sink with Allen. No need to even go into the Mahomes factor here.

37 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

At the time the Bills made the trade, I thought we got fleeced by KC.  We should have gotten four picks in return, at least 2017 and 2018 first and second.  2017 1st and 3rd, and 2018 1st, for KC to jump from 21 to 7, was not enough.  And don't give me your draft pick value bull####.  We handed KC a franchise QB for two late first-round picks and an early third-round pick.  We got boned.   

The pick is worth what you can get.  Some years its worth more, some years its worth less.  The draft chart is a guide.  The first overall pick this year is worth farrrr less than, for example, the year Andrew Luck was available. 

At the end of the day, they got would they could get to move back.  Its only a bad trade if they could have gotten more.  Do you have any reason to believe they could have gotten more from KC?  If they would have walked away from the deal if we demanded more, would it still look like a bad trade.  

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The pick is worth what you can get.  Some years its worth more, some years its worth less.  The draft chart is a guide.  The first overall pick this year is worth farrrr less than, for example, the year Andrew Luck was available. 

At the end of the day, they got would they could get to move back.  Its only a bad trade if they could have gotten more.  Do you have any reason to believe they could have gotten more from KC?  If they would have walked away from the deal if we demanded more, would it still look like a bad trade.  

Yes, because I would have picked Mahomes there otherwise.  If you're trading to a team that's going to use the pick on the QB, you gotta jack them up.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Wyoming is one of the worst programs in ALL of college football.

Allen alone made them competitive. 

Mahomes has always had better supporting casts, offensively anyway, as TT's defense with Mahomes was awful, just like Wyoming's.

I loved both Allen and Mahomes coming out, but there were serious questions about both.

The Allen/Mahomes comparisons are just silly to me because McDermott already made his decision that he liked Allen better.

McBeane is going to swim/sink with Allen. No need to even go into the Mahomes factor here.

I don’t really disagree but who were the star players Mahomes played with in college?  I’m missing all those high draft pick receivers or superior talent.  And I definitely believe a top 10 pick should have had more games of being dominant in the MWC than Allen did.

Allen is the upside pick so hopefully, he realizes that potential.  But those picks, fairly or not, will always be connected.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed, but it’s not like it didn’t work out for the Bills either. Some trades can be mutually beneficial. I am of the opinion that Allen is going to be special. He may not be Mahomes special, but will be a top 10 QB. If you add that to a couple of pro bowl caliber defenders (White already is and Edmunds will be) you did well. 

Put Mahomes on last years Bills roster as a rookie and see what you get from him. Without any help for Allen, and all the help in the world (plus a year to sit, watch and learn) for Mahomes, I’d say we have no idea what the gap is between the two as we sit here today.  I’m NOT saying Allen = Mahomes, but how big is the difference now and what will it be in 5 years given equal surrounding talent? Oh, then consider throwing in a top CB and LB. 

Not so obvious, really. 

• Like (+1) 2