ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I believe the OP's title/premise is wrong.........the writer was saying would the Bills trade Tre White, Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds for Patrick Mahomes.

Allen has nothing to do with Chiefs trade............he was not acquired with any chips from the Chiefs trade.

In a way, he did, because the Bills clearly saw the 2018 QB draft - much lauded at the time of the 2017 draft as the "real" QB draft - as the one to go fishing for QBs in. Outside of Mayfield, who is already good, it's way too early to tell how good they 2018 QBs will be, but we the results are in regarding Mahomes. He was the best player in the league this season when it comes to value. 

2 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Does anyone else notice that the NFL is catching up to Mahomes?  I admit he will be good for a long time.  But not this good.  His weapons will leave via FA or retire or injure out.  Then we will see.

You put Josh on that team..... he crushes all time records...

Wow.  Mahomes only threw 3 tds against Seattle. What a bum.  Literally the worst passing yardage in a game for Mahomes would be the highest in Allen’s career.

allen could turn out to be a good qb.   It you look silly putting down what PM did or saying Allen would be doing the same.  Allen wasn’t even dominant in college at Wyoming.  Maybe he gets there but Mahomes is in a different galaxy.

56 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Just boggles my mind that people think Mahomes would have an MVP season playing on this team.

It boggles my mind that people don't think Mahomes would be good playing on this team. Like he's entirely a product of the system. That is clearly not true. You can talk about Andy Reid all you like, but Mahomes threw for TWICE as many touchdowns in 18 as Alex Smith did in 17 playing with virtually the same team. 

Alex Smith also threw for 23, 18, 15, and 20 TD's respectively in the previous 4 years under the great Andy Reid. Guess what? Travis Kelce was a member of all of those teams.  

I'm not gonna get into hypothetical, unrealistic trade talk, but people really need to inform themselves if they think Mahomes is just a product of the system. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, Mahomes is about to be named the MVP in his first season as a starter; I think the writer is probably correct that Buffalo would take that in retrospect.

I consider myself one of Josh Allen's biggest fans, and earliest supporters.  Having said that, of course they would take Mahomes, knowing what everyone in the world knows now. 

2 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

If the Bills had evaluated Mahomes and thought he could end up looking anything like the guy who has ripped apart the NFL this season, they obviously would have taken him with their first-round pick. Instead, they sent the 10th selection to the Chiefs for the 27th and 91st selections, along with Kansas City's 2018 first-round pick, which ended up as the 22nd pick. The Bills drafted star cornerback Tre'Davious White with Kansas City's 2017 first-rounder, and then used the other two picks in trades that eventually netted them Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds. Sean McDermott undoubtedly loves his two defensive building blocks, and the Bills believe that Josh Allen, their other first-rounder in 2018, can turn into a viable starter, but they would undoubtedly trade all three for Mahomes in a heartbeat.

I don't think that I would. Thoughts? BTW the article crushes the Bills over Gilmore as well.

Yes, of course this is true.

Asking this board what it thinks on such a topic, however, is like asking Hitler, Himmler, and Göring if it was so wrong to initiate the Holocaust.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Does anyone else notice that the NFL is catching up to Mahomes?  I admit he will be good for a long time.  But not this good.  His weapons will leave via FA or retire or injure out.  Then we will see.

You put Josh on that team..... he crushes all time records...

Oh brother

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

If the Bills had evaluated Mahomes and thought he could end up looking anything like the guy who has ripped apart the NFL this season, they obviously would have taken him with their first-round pick. Instead, they sent the 10th selection to the Chiefs for the 27th and 91st selections, along with Kansas City's 2018 first-round pick, which ended up as the 22nd pick. The Bills drafted star cornerback Tre'Davious White with Kansas City's 2017 first-rounder, and then used the other two picks in trades that eventually netted them Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds. Sean McDermott undoubtedly loves his two defensive building blocks, and the Bills believe that Josh Allen, their other first-rounder in 2018, can turn into a viable starter, but they would undoubtedly trade all three for Mahomes in a heartbeat.

I don't think that I would. Thoughts? BTW the article crushes the Bills over Gilmore as well.

Got Link.  

the post you made doesn't quite add up with the title 

At the time the Bills made the trade, I thought we got fleeced by KC.  We should have gotten four picks in return, at least 2017 and 2018 first and second.  2017 1st and 3rd, and 2018 1st, for KC to jump from 27 to 10 [fixed, thanks to whatdrought], was not enough.  And don't give me your draft pick value bull####.  We handed KC a franchise QB for two late first-round picks and an early third-round pick.  We got boned.   

Edited by Freddie's Dead

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Chiefs would laugh at us if we offered them Allen and White for Mahomes.  This will be had trade to win because Mahomes might be an all Time great.  White is awesome but he’s a corner.  Allen would need to become a top 10 type qb.

but yeah, we mostly likely lost the deal. Reid took advantage of his former assistant.

Do you honestly think Allen will be the next Mahomes?  But yeah, if Allen throws for 50 tds, we won the trade.

I have no clue. But anyone who says they knew for sure Mahomes would look like this is wrong- there are no guarentees here. They were similar prospects coming out- freakish athletes with incredible skill sets and big questions marks. 

So, I don’t know if he’ll look like Mahomes, I even doubt it somewhat due to situation and offense- but I wouldn’t be shocked if he made a jump, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was even good enough to be in the MVP talk. I also wouldn’t be shocked if none of that happened.

thats the point of my post. If he flames out, then we’d trade everything in our bag for Mahomes and the hindsight will look bad for the bills. But if Allens steps up and Mahomes steps back (or even if he stays the same), it changes the conversation. 

Also, as an aside to this whole conversation, Its important to note that you can’t judge whether a decision was right or wrong in the moment based on its outcome- you have to look at the circumstances that led to the decision. If it was obviously the wrong decision at the time (some may argue that about Mahomes, but that seems revisionist to me) that’s one thing, but just because it proves to be the wrong decision with the addition of time, doesn’t mean it was originally. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

1 - We had a lameduck GM who we didn't want drafting our QB of the future

2 - Mahomes was a Junior and didn't attend the senior bowl.  

3 - McD drafted mostly players who attended the senior bowl with Milano the main exception (Tre White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, Nate Peterman)

I don't think mahomes would really thrive here without Reid TBH - a seasoned QB coach and Offensive guy.  Not to mention our trainwreck of a line, and our utter lack of weapons.  Imagine that no look pass bouncing off of benjamins chest ?

And our defense would be pretty lousy without white and edmunds.

I'm not sure we'd be like... drafting another QB, but I'm not sure we're much better off than we are right now.

You should probably pick a side and stick to it. Either McD missed or Whaley missed. I personally think Mahomes, Darby, Edmunds > Allen, White, and Edmunds. Even better would be Glenn in there. 

Edited by Trogdor
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, APoxOnYou said:

Tyreek Hill is the most talented player on the Chiefs, not Mahomes.

And when it's time to re-sign both players, I'm thinking Mahomes will get paid more than Tyreek Hill.  By at least 10M per season. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I and Boatdrinks posted.............the OP is claiming something was said that was not.........misleading title,  perhaps to rouse the rabble.

When did people on a message board start posting threads that resembled the click-bait ads that run on every website?  Because I'm pretty sure they're not getting paid by view.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

At the time the Bills made the trade, I thought we got fleeced by KC.  We should have gotten four picks in return, at least 2017 and 2018 first and second.  2017 1st and 3rd, and 2018 1st, for KC to jump from 21 to 7, was not enough.  And don't give me your draft pick value bull####.  We handed KC a franchise QB for two late first-round picks and an early third-round pick.  We got boned.   

We handed the Chiefs a draft pick. 

I agree, it seemed like less than I would have expected, but that seems to be the market rate... based on draft value charts. 

(It was 10th to 27th) 

I'm loving Allen and am more excited about the immediate future than I have been in a LONG time. However, if the Bills were guaranteed that by making that trade Mahomes would continue to play the way he has been (which is highly doubtful considering the lack of a supporting cast) then of course they'd make the trade. Allen is still in the 'potential' bracket, whereas Mahomes has proven he can do it consistently over a season.

But (and I was thinking about this yesterday when reading the QB carousal thread), if the Bills for some inexplicable reason were to release Allen tomorrow, how many teams do you think would be fighting to snag him? I'd say a hell of a lot of teams, including the likes of Denver who passed on him in the same way we passed on Mahomes. I think Elway would trade both his testicles for the chance to get Allen on his team now.

The moral of my post is, in hindsight we did pass on a very, very good QB, but after seeing every single Josh Allen play this season from preseason all the way to the Dolphins game, I'd say there's a damn good chance there will be plenty of teams who regret on either passing him over or not making a move for him themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1