ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

The article is ridiculous.  If Patrick Mahomes would have been drafted by the Bills, sat the bench all season in 2017.  Then start with the talent level (lack of) the Bills have on offense he would have been classified as a bust, let's see:

TE: Clay vs Kelcie - hmmmmmmm, significant downgrade

WR1: Benjamin vs Hill, hmmmmmmmmm, significant downgrade

WR2: Zay Jones vs Sammy Watkins, slight downgrade

OL: Bills crap at 4 positions vs solid KC line, major downgrade

My guess at his stats with Buffalo would be about 30 TD's less passing, more interceptions then Allen threw and about 500 yards less rushing.

Plus a much worse defense now and in the future.

Hence, the article is complete nonsense.

Hate to say it but I'd take Zay over Sammy. Zay suits up and plays. Sammy is talented as all get out but needs do drink more milk or something. The dude is brittle.

.........and if the Bills drafted Mahomes and KC got Josh Allen in the 2018 draft, the article would go something like this:

"KC wanted to trade # 22 and some picks for the rights to draft Mahomes, but they got lucky because they took Josh Allen in 2018 and he looks like a stud.  Allen is putting up MVP level stats as a Rookie, with all of these awesome WRs, O-Line, RBs, and scheme while Mahomes looks terrible while throwing to his #1 receiver Zay Jones and getting hammered each play because his crappy o-line is just crappy, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string level players....those dumb Bills should have taken KC's offer and built their team from the ground up....they were stupid dreaming that Mahomes could be good with this crappy personnel".

• Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs would laugh at us if we offered them Allen and White for Mahomes.  This will be had trade to win because Mahomes might be an all Time great.  White is awesome but he’s a corner.  Allen would need to become a top 10 type qb.

but yeah, we mostly likely lost the deal. Reid took advantage of his former assistant.

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Really depends on how Allen turns out. 

Right now that’s probably worth the trade, but if Allen is next years Mahomes, it’ll be a whole new story. 

Do you honestly think Allen will be the next Mahomes?  But yeah, if Allen throws for 50 tds, we won the trade.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

.........and if the Bills drafted Mahomes and KC got Josh Allen in the 2018 draft, the article would go something like this:

"KC wanted to trade # 22 and some picks for the rights to draft Mahomes, but they got lucky because they took Josh Allen in 2018 and he looks like a stud.  Allen is putting up MVP level stats as a Rookie, with all of these awesome WRs, O-Line, RBs, and scheme while Mahomes looks terrible while throwing to his #1 receiver Zay Jones and getting hammered each play because his crappy o-line is just crappy, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string level players....those dumb Bills should have taken KC's offer and built their team from the ground up....they were stupid dreaming that Mahomes could be good with this crappy personnel".

I love Josh and everything but this is a little bit bananas. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

There is a 0% chance that Mahomes would have had the same success in Buffalo that he did in KC. The Chiefs have loads of offensive talent, a great offensive head coach, etc.

Not saying Mahomes isn't awesome. He clearly is, but he would not have been able to do in Buffalo what he did in KC.

Bang on with the above points

Whaley drafted EJ Manuel. Yes, Mahommes is good but no one was going to take Whaley's word for it even if that's who he wanted at 10. And also, trading arguably a top 5 corner, top 5 MLB and potential top 5 QB doesn't sound like a good deal. It's a team sport. The Bills just don't have the coaching and weapons that KC does, period. So Mahommes' success would not be a sure thing in Buffalo anyways.

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Whaley drafted EJ Manuel. Yes, Mahommes is good but no one was going to take Whaley's word for it even if that's who he wanted at 10. And also, trading arguably a top 5 corner, top 5 MLB and potential top 5 QB doesn't sound like a good deal. It's a team sport. The Bills just don't have the coaching and weapons that KC does, period. So Mahommes' success would not be a sure thing in Buffalo anyways.

It was McDermott’s draft. Stop.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Chiefs would laugh at us if we offered them Allen and White for Mahomes.  This will be had trade to win because Mahomes might be an all Time great.  White is awesome but he’s a corner.  Allen would need to become a top 10 type qb.

but yeah, we mostly likely lost the deal. Reid took advantage of his former assistant.

Do you honestly think Allen will be the next Mahomes?  But yeah, if Allen throws for 50 tds, we won the trade.

With the lack of overall talent around Allen and him running for his life not to mention keeping us in games he still managed to find Zay for the longest pass (by air distance) all season. The kid is special.

Longest PAss.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I love Josh and everything but this is a little bit bananas. 

Just saying that the article is ridiculous.  There is no way to know if Mahomes would have been successful in Buffalo.  Hindsight is 20-20.  I think they should have at least waited for Allen to have a full year as a starter after they get a chance to improve the offense.

35 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That kind of reduces any interest, as by then the outcome would be known. The question is far more interesting now. Would Bills fans ( or management ) trade those three players for Mahomes today? I would. 

Ok fine... I'll play just for the heck of it.  My answer would be probably not.  I think what Mahomes did this year is incredible and I would love to see that happen here.  But to call it a plug and play situation is just not being honest. 

My view is that Mahomes success is greatly aided by context.  Look at the whole equation... (many others have said the same so I will keep it brief)

1. One year on the bench behind Alex Smith under coaching by Andy Reid and staff - they did a lot of work with him in that time - Mike Kafka basically adopted him 

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/25194/chiefs-coached-the-recklessness-out-patrick-mahomes  Compared with an unproven QB coach, plus Peterman and co... (yikes!)

2. Surrounding parts... Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, Sammy Watkins (yeah I know), etc.  Compared with the scout team of Kelvin Benjamin, and a bunch of others who might actually turn into something?

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Just saying that the article is ridiculous.  There is no way to know if Mahomes would have been successful in Buffalo.  Hindsight is 20-20.  I think they should have at least waited for Allen to have a full year as a starter after they get a chance to improve the offense.

It’s just an article for clicks and discussion. It’s a fair point. If Mahomes continues to destroy the league any team would regret missing out on him. The Bills traded out of that spot when they needed a QB. We all knew this could be the result.

I’m high on Allen and it’s okay to have hope that he becomes a great QB, fans can do that while still saying “yikes” Mahomes is a beast. 

Projecting two guys into two different scenarios and then comparing those players from what you think would happen is always a sloppy idea. It’s impossible. 

Allen grew throughout the year, if that continues then the Mahomes trade will soon be forgotten. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, One Buffalo said:

Ok fine... I'll play just for the heck of it.  My answer would be probably not.  I think what Mahomes did this year is incredible and I would love to see that happen here.  But to call it a plug and play situation is just not being honest. 

My view is that Mahomes success is greatly aided by context.  Look at the whole equation... (many others have said the same so I will keep it brief)

1. One year on the bench behind Alex Smith under coaching by Andy Reid and staff - they did a lot of work with him in that time - Mike Kafka basically adopted him 

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/25194/chiefs-coached-the-recklessness-out-patrick-mahomes

2. Surrounding parts... Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, Sammy Watkins (yeah I know), etc.  Compared with the scout team of Kelvin Benjamin, and a bunch of others who might actually turn into something?

I don’t know if many would think that Mahomes would replicate his KC performance in BUF this season. A trade however is more about the long view, not a single year. Would the Bills be better off with Mahomes or White, Jones and Edmunds ? I’d say definitely with Mahomes. His time at QB would probably far exceed any of the other 3 players time with the team , possibly all of them. When you have a top QB, you keep him. It’s a pretty easy decision to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Watson was last seen in Clemson.

Mahomes is two days away from being slain by CPT. Andrew.

Rivers “why practice in NE when the weather is so nice in California” 

If Lynn and that SD/LA group of softies go into Patriot Place and lay down they deserve to be flames. Predictable and foolish.

I've always thought that about the Chargers and basically always pick against them in the playoffs...but I do think this year's team is a little different. I think this group is tougher and will be up for the challenge in NE. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed, but it’s not like it didn’t work out for the Bills either. Some trades can be mutually beneficial. I am of the opinion that Allen is going to be special. He may not be Mahomes special, but will be a top 10 QB. If you add that to a couple of pro bowl caliber defenders (White already is and Edmunds will be) you did well. 

My question is why is Edmunds part of this scenario? If we had drafted Mahomes we still pk 21 overall in last yrs draft and we still have Cordy Glenn and Sammy 2nd rd pk. My point is Edmunds could of still been a Bill even if we took Mahomes in 2017.

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The OP is asking a question that the writer was not..............Allen was not selected with any assets acquired in the Mahomes trade..............but yeah, you still trade Allen, White and Edmunds for Mahomes..........he's a proven success and likely Dan Marino 2.0.........while Allen is unproven and White and Edmunds will be retired for 8-10 years when Mahomes is still slinging it in the NFL.

But I said a week ago.........once the playoffs get rolling all the paths-not-taken(Mahomes/Watson.....Anthony Lynn/Frank Reich) will start being discussed because they are front and center in the postseason and Bills fans aren't going to like it.

McBeane have taken a questionable route to their current optimistic mediocrity............the mid-80's Bills kinda' did to when they chose Kelly over Marino........that looked bad for a few years.......but that time it worked out for the best........hopefully this time it does too.   

I think we should hold off on this sort of analysis until Feb 4. I think the Chiefs have a pretty solid shot at winning the SB. I think they're going be extremely hard to beat at Arrowhead, and they WILL score if they get to the SB. The fewest points they had this season was 26, which is truly remarkable. Even the best offensive teams tend to have at least one dud during the season. 

15 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

With the lack of overall talent around Allen and him running for his life not to mention keeping us in games he still managed to find Zay for the longest pass (by air distance) all season. The kid is special.

Longest PAss.jpg

He could.  But also completed 52% of his passes (I know it was not his fault) after completing 56% in college (obviously not his fault either) and had a 66 qb rating.  He could very well turn out to be special.  But every other fanbase but ours would laugh at that trade.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

With no GM at the time there was no way our HC was taking a QB.

Our head coach is the GM.  He hired Beane.  He will get the final say.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Does anyone else notice that the NFL is catching up to Mahomes?  I admit he will be good for a long time.  But not this good.  His weapons will leave via FA or retire or injure out.  Then we will see.

You put Josh on that team..... he crushes all time records...

10 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

My question is why is Edmunds part of this scenario? If we had drafted Mahomes we still pk 21 overall in last yrs draft and we still have Cordy Glenn and Sammy 2nd rd pk. My point is Edmunds could of still been a Bill even if we took Mahomes in 2017.

Didn’t they use the Chiefs pick acquired in the trade ( plus another) to draft Edmunds ? I think that’s why.