ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

But to get Mahomes production, you probably need the KC coaching staff and offensive personnel. Bring him into the situation Allen played under as a raw rookie and you're not going to hear talk of MVP.

You're probably right, but right now we're all hoping that Allen can be as good Mahomes is right now. Mahomes would probably have done terrible here in Buffalo and JP Losman might still be playing if another team drafted him. No one can know, it's a fun debate

Pass...  I'll take three for one any Day...   And Lets see what Both QB do in the years that follow...  Their QB has been fantastic, Let's see it in the playoffs now. as well as next year after some teams have tape on him. Allen same thing, he could turn into a bust, average, or a better than Mahomes.

saying that we would make that trade after 16 games is just dumb as hell. besides does anyone think Mahomes is anything close to what we see KC, HERE? ???   NO  

Just now, uticaclub said:

You're probably right, but right now we're all hoping that Allen can be as good Mahomes is right now. Mahomes would probably have done terrible here in Buffalo and JP Losman might still be playing if another team drafted him. No one can know, it's a fun debate

I understand. It's fun so long as folks remember the contextual variables that make it a more complicated assessment of counter-factuals than a comparison of "objective facts." And of course, a snapshot now may look quite different with a few more years of historical data, and even then, the "what if" game can never undo the basic reality that distinct particulars interact in incalculable ways. There's no doubt many likely scenarios where Tom Brady is drafted by a different team and washes out of the league.

Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

First of all, all four are early in their career.

Secondly, Mahomes rookie year he played in one meaningless game.  Allen and Edmunds rookie seasons have shown they are already proven leaders and are further along in their growth than Mahomes was last year.

Allen, Edmunds, and White are the future leaders of this team.  The thought of trading all three for one player due to a player's single year is a joke, and a simple case of a media person trying to get clicks.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Or should we also rehash Tom Brady's infamous slide down the draft boards, making every single team in the league look silly, including the Pats, until they took a flyer on him towards the end of the draft? Isn't that an even more egregious example than Mahomes? 

It is against the rules to do that on the Exclusive Suckup P*triots Network.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, wppete said:

Can you imagine Josh Allen in KC with all those weapons??? (Especially before Hunt got released) 

The media would be freaking out. Best QB ever hahaha

I believe 100% that if allen had the support of KC's run game, the players going up and getting area code balls for him like Kelce and hill did all year he would have been rookie of the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

But to get Mahomes production, you probably need the KC coaching staff and offensive personnel. Bring him into the situation Allen played under as a raw rookie and you're not going to hear talk of MVP.

Mahomes probably isn’t throwing 50 TD passes in BUF this year, so there would be no MVP talk. Allen went 5-5 as a starter with poor passing numbers mostly. Is it crazy to think that Mahomes superior play could have made the 6-10 Bills a 9-7 or even 10-6 playoff team ? I don’t think it is. While Mahomes wouldn’t have the caliber of team or coaching that he has in KC, it’s apparent watching him that he’s a transcendent talent that does things you cannot and even wouldn’t coach a player to do on a football field. I hope Allen turns out to be the franchise QB the Bills have been waiting for, but he isn’t Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, but if the Bills had drafted Mahomes in 2017, sat him last year and started him this past season, do you think he'd have even been in the discussion for MVP right now.   

Prescott looked pretty amazing as a rookie to, imagine what he'll be when he gains experience they were saying.  3 seasons later he's no better, maybe even worse at least statistically.

I think your latter point is more important in reference to Allen honestly. Progression isn't a linear thing. Allen looked promising as a rookie IMO, though still easily below average compared to all starting QBs; you're counting on him progressing to become anywhere near the player that Mahomes is right now and that progression isn't something that we can safely assume will happen.

If Mahomes simply plateaus at his current playing ability, he's a future hall of famer and perennial MVP candidate.

Do I think Mahomes would be the same player he is today if Buffalo had drafted him instead? It's hard to really say; personally, I had Mahomes pegged as the best QB prospect since maybe Andrew Luck (possibly beneath Jameis/Mariota instead, but I can't say that with certainty as I didn't assign number grades back then. Suffice to say, I always believed Mahomes had the goods to be an elite QB so while I'm certainly a bit shocked at how quickly he's ascended there, I think he had that potential regardless of where he was drafted and I think his playstyle allows him to rely less on the talent around him than most QBs do (I'd argue this is the case with Allen too btw). He probably wouldn't be in the MVP conversation if he were in Buffalo because his numbers likely wouldn't be as good, but I think he might still be an elite QB with MVP potential if Buffalo were able to add a couple more pieces.

Edited by DCOrange

6 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

First of all, all four are early in their career.

Secondly, Mahomes rookie year he played in one meaningless game.  Allen and Edmunds rookie seasons have shown they are already proven leaders and are further along in their growth than Mahomes was last year.

Allen, Edmunds, and White are the future leaders of this team.  The thought of trading all three for one player due to a player's single year is a joke, and a simple case of a media person trying to get clicks.

The writer didn’t say anything about the Bills trading Allen. It was White, Jones, Edmunds. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, Mahomes is about to be named the MVP in his first season as a starter; I think the writer is probably correct that Buffalo would take that in retrospect.

It would be silly to deny it.  Of course they would.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I hope not

As I and Boatdrinks posted.............the OP is claiming something was said that was not.........misleading title,  perhaps to rouse the rabble.

Allen has nothing to do with the Mahomes trade.

He was acquired with the Bills own 2018 #1 pick and other picks acquired in other trades.

Edmunds was acquired with the Chiefs 2018 first rounder(plus the pick acquired for Tyrod).

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Of course the Bills would make this trade. Mahomes is the most valuable and most dynamic player in the league right now, -- a generational talent. An equally good question to ask: would KC make this trade? The answer is never. 

I kind of like to see more than one year out of a player before proclaiming him a generational talent.

Not at all to dis on Mahomes, who is looking truly amazing right now.  But for various reasons, there are a number of players who start in the league with a ticket punched to "amazingland" and who don't arrive or stay there long term.

This is why hindsight is 20/20 and why I hate people who do not look at the overall perspective.

Yes in hindsight the Bills would absolutely rather have Mahomes as would I he is the damn NFL MVP this year. BUT at the time people still wanted to give Tyrod one last go and many NFL analysts ripped Buffalo for cutting Tyrod after the playoffs. So it's a complete farce because the same people who say Buffalo would right now trade those guys for Mahomes are the same who thought Buffalo should've kept Tyrod and built around him.

Gilmore I wanted to keep although I think he held back his last year due to injury. I think he is a very good player who at times can be great which happened this year which non surprisingly is with a marquee NFL team so of course he has more attention. That said CB's all can be beaten and he has numerous times so whatever. Overall I have no hard feelings with the guy I think fans underappreciated him and we have Tre now who fits what McD wants both talent and person wise so not sure why it's really a topic.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Mahomes probably isn’t throwing 50 TD passes in BUF this year, so there would be no MVP talk. Allen went 5-5 as a starter with poor passing numbers mostly. Is it crazy to think that Mahomes superior play could have made the 6-10 Bills a 9-7 or even 10-6 playoff team ? I don’t think it is. While Mahomes wouldn’t have the caliber of team or coaching that he has in KC, it’s apparent watching him that he’s a transcendent talent that does things you cannot and even wouldn’t coach a player to do on a football field. I hope Allen turns out to be the franchise QB the Bills have been waiting for, but he isn’t Mahomes. 

Mahomes got to sit a year, is surrounded by much better talent, and is coached by a fella who is generally considered an elite offensive mind. I'd like to see where Allen is with significant talent upgrades. I'm not bashing Mahomes. I pushed hard in 2017 for the Bills to draft him. I still think the "transcendent talent" label is premature. Let's see how he does in playoffs and with a few more years of history. He may justify such a claim, but I personally think Allen can be a top five qb if all goes well.

In hind sight, of course Buffalo should have drafted Mahomes.  Still, there's no guarantee he would have duplicated his KC success in Buffalo.  The circumstances were very different as he would have been pressed into a starting role much sooner with a far inferior supporting cast.  Trading three quality starters, all of whom may have very high ceilings is a completely different issue.  I might not do that trade.