ESPN article says Bills would "obviously trade Allen, Edmunds and White for Mahomes

If the Bills had evaluated Mahomes and thought he could end up looking anything like the guy who has ripped apart the NFL this season, they obviously would have taken him with their first-round pick. Instead, they sent the 10th selection to the Chiefs for the 27th and 91st selections, along with Kansas City's 2018 first-round pick, which ended up as the 22nd pick. The Bills drafted star cornerback Tre'Davious White with Kansas City's 2017 first-rounder, and then used the other two picks in trades that eventually netted them Zay Jones and Tremaine Edmunds. Sean McDermott undoubtedly loves his two defensive building blocks, and the Bills believe that Josh Allen, their other first-rounder in 2018, can turn into a viable starter, but they would undoubtedly trade all three for Mahomes in a heartbeat.

I don't think that I would. Thoughts? BTW the article crushes the Bills over Gilmore as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

Isn't it funny how the writer tries to make the word "undoubtedly" sound like a quote, instead of him just...writing.

I hope the best for Allen.  Of course Mahommes is awesome, and he was one of the guys I wanted.

Additionally, though, looking at the last game of either young man's first season...I'll take Allen's 3 TD passes, and two rushing TDs over 284 yards and an interception.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, considering that Mahomes and Allen weren't even in the same draft and the Bills could not have come even close to completing their pre-draft evaluation work on Allen, it's not an either Mahomes or Allen question straight up, right? The premise/byline of the article becomes somewhat misleading then, no? And what is the point of bashing the Bills on this one when how many other franchises similarly passed on Mahomes before KC? 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 3

The thing I don’t like about stuff like this is it’s impossible to account for what a player would have been in a different environment.  I am pretty certain that some players will be great no matter where they go (Peyton Manning), but others you have to wonder if it would be the same.

With Mahommes, he’s in a great spot with Reid as HC and speed at offensive positions that fit his style perfectly.  Would Zay Jones, Robert Foster, and Clay match the production he got out of Hill, Kielce, and even Watkins?  I doubt it.  Would the production have been greater than what Allen produced, perhaps that is more likely.  

I dont know though.  Mahommes was great this year and nobody can take that away.  His stats will forever be logged in NFL record books and stat sheets.  But thinking he’d put up 5,000 and 50 in our offense is probably a little naive.  

Bills fans will likely view this as the Manning/Brady debate.  Is Brady as good or better than Manning, or is he a system guy?  Is Mahommes better than Allen, or is he a system guy?  Obviously Mahommes is better now, regardless of system, but if Allen is good down the road and throwing for 4200 and 35 TDS while Mahommes is throwing for 4500 and 40 TDS, who is better?  We can never know that but I guess that’s a good problem to have debating if your team has the best qb in the league!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 - We had a lameduck GM who we didn't want drafting our QB of the future

2 - Mahomes was a Junior and didn't attend the senior bowl.  

3 - McD drafted mostly players who attended the senior bowl with Milano the main exception (Tre White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, Nate Peterman)

I don't think mahomes would really thrive here without Reid TBH - a seasoned QB coach and Offensive guy.  Not to mention our trainwreck of a line, and our utter lack of weapons.  Imagine that no look pass bouncing off of benjamins chest ?

And our defense would be pretty lousy without white and edmunds.

I'm not sure we'd be like... drafting another QB, but I'm not sure we're much better off than we are right now.

There is a 0% chance that Mahomes would have had the same success in Buffalo that he did in KC. The Chiefs have loads of offensive talent, a great offensive head coach, etc.

Not saying Mahomes isn't awesome. He clearly is, but he would not have been able to do in Buffalo what he did in KC.

• Like (+1) 14

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Of course the Bills would make this trade. Mahomes is the most valuable and most dynamic player in the league right now, -- a generational talent. An equally good question to ask: would KC make this trade? The answer is never. 

Bout sums it up. And I like Allen a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, Mahomes is about to be named the MVP in his first season as a starter; I think the writer is probably correct that Buffalo would take that in retrospect.

Agreed, but it’s not like it didn’t work out for the Bills either. Some trades can be mutually beneficial. I am of the opinion that Allen is going to be special. He may not be Mahomes special, but will be a top 10 QB. If you add that to a couple of pro bowl caliber defenders (White already is and Edmunds will be) you did well. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

There is a 0% chance that Mahomes would have had the same success in Buffalo that he did in KC. The Chiefs have loads of offensive talent, a great offensive head coach, etc.

Not saying Mahomes isn't awesome. He clearly is, but he would not have been able to do in Buffalo what he did in KC.

Spot.  On.

MJS, the Bills undoubtedly would have also taken Andy Reid as head coach, KC's receivers, TEs, OLine (which includes a medical doctor) and a Not A Tom Brady Division.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is 100% true

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, Mahomes is about to be named the MVP in his first season as a starter; I think the writer is probably correct that Buffalo would take that in retrospect.

In return for the 3 players they have instead?  I think that is hardly obvious.  I would not.

• Like (+1) 3

Mahomes had a fantastic year, no doubt.  The question is whether he will be able to maintain it when teams have a whole year of tape on him and their offense and then further down the road when he's making $30+M / year against the cap and they cannot surround him such a high level of talent that they have now.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1