Speculation on Golic and Wingo that Rosen could be traded

If they're all in on Kingsbury like they say then it really only makes sense to allow him to go out and get his guy. And it wouldn't be the worst thing for them, they'd be able to build around Murray quicker using any draft capital/players they get for Rosen. 

"Nine mistakes ahead of meeee!" Haha.

Right.  If a team like the Pats or the Chargers liked Rosen last year and still like him, why would they not give up a 1st?  Them going to a 2nd opens up the entire league to beat them with a 2nd and if they are drafting ~25 or later most years they'll never get a prospect of a similar caliber that low.

I think teams would be willing to give him a pass consider they switched OCs in the middle of the year and fired their coach after one year.  Arizona might be the worst run team in the league currently, their assessment of him should mean little to other teams.

Also, a real live NFL team isn't actually going to take Kyler Murray over Dwayne Haskins, right?  This is all just media Feb/March filler talk, right?

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Right.  If a team like the Pats or the Chargers liked Rosen last year and still like him, why would they not give up a 1st?  Them going to a 2nd opens up the entire league to beat them with a 2nd and if they are drafting ~25 or later most years they'll never get a prospect of a similar caliber that low.

I think teams would be willing to give him a pass consider they switched OCs in the middle of the year and fired their coach after one year.  Arizona might be the worst run team in the league currently, their assessment of him should mean little to other teams.

Also, a real live NFL team isn't actually going to take Kyler Murray over Dwayne Haskins, right?  This is all just media Feb/March filler talk, right?

I think one team would... Arizona. He’s a great fit for Kingsbury offense. Rosen isn’t. If they could trade down and still get him they may. Niners really want Bosa. Otherwise, Haskins is the better prospect for your traditional NFL offense. I don’t see a team like Jax or NYG taking kyler over Dwayne. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Scott McCloughan disagrees with this line of thought, and he's a damn good evaluator -- one of the best. He says Haskins is the next Byron Leftwich to a T! @YoloinOhio -- thoughts on this?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/28/kyler-murray-height-best-quarterback-scot-mccloughan

Edited by dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Scott McCloughan disagrees with this line of thought, and he's a damn good evaluator -- one of the best. He says Haskins is the next Byron Leftwich to a T! @YoloinOhio -- thoughts on this?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/28/kyler-murray-height-best-quarterback-scot-mccloughan

Yes he looks like him in the face.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think one team would... Arizona. He’s a great fit for Kingsbury offense. Rosen isn’t. If they could trade down and still get him they may. Niners really want Bosa. Otherwise, Haskins is the better prospect for your traditional NFL offense. I don’t see a team like Jax or NYG taking kyler over Dwayne. 

The Cardinals are the new Browns.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This was not said by accident at the Combine:

Yikes the Cardinals are an even bigger mess than I thought. I know Rosen wasn't great but he was in a really bad situation. They should stand by him this year, there is no upside to messing with his confidence like that.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yikes the Cardinals are an even bigger mess than I thought. I know Rosen wasn't great but he was in a really bad situation. They should stand by him this year, there is no upside to messing with his confidence like that.

If they truly believe another guy this year is better, then you treat Rosen as a sunk cost and take the QB who you think is more likely to get you to the promised land. Don't waste a #1 overall on a non-QB assuming you actually believe in one of the QBs in the draft. #1 overall picks don't come around very often, and if you don't really believe in Rosen, cut bait now.

Everyone needs to bear in mind that the Cardinals were reportedly crestfallen that they couldn't get past the Bills to land Josh Allen, who they loved. 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If they truly believe another guy this year is better, than you treat Rosen as a sunk cost and take the QB who you think is more likely to get you to the promised land. Don't waste a #1 overall on a non-QB assuming you actually believe in one of the QBs in the draft. #1 overall picks don't come around very often, and if you don't really believe in Rosen, cut bait now.

Everyone needs to bear in mind that the Cardinals were reportedly crestfallen that they couldn't get past the Bills to land Josh Allen, who they loved. 

Bingo.

Not all that different than the Chargers Brees - Rivers situation.  Obviously hindsight is 20 / 20 on that one, but at the time Brees was a nice player but Rivers was viewed as a much higher regarded prospect.  If Murray / Haskins are better than Rosen in their eyes, it's a no brainer, get what you can get for Rosen and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo.

Not all that different than the Chargers Brees - Rivers situation.  Obviously hindsight is 20 / 20 on that one, but at the time Brees was a nice player but Rivers was viewed as a much higher regarded prospect.  If Murray / Haskins are better than Rosen in their eyes, it's a no brainer, get what you can get for Rosen and move on.

Excellent comp.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I take the opinions of guys who run their own websites with a MASSIVE grain of salt, especially when they are failed former GMs.  Click bait is a business model.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I take the opinions of guys who run their own websites with a MASSIVE grain of salt, especially when they are failed former GMs.  Click bait is a business model.

But McCloughan was a central player in two of the best QB draft picks in the last decade: Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield. He's not some schmo in a basement!

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's been my comparison too

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

But McCloughan was a central player in two of the best QB draft picks in the last decade: Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield. He's not some schmo in a basement!

So he likes the short guys?

I have no idea who will be better but Haskins and Murray are so different stylistically it’s more 1a and 1b. Whoever takes Murray either needs to be set up to scheme for him or be willing to design their offense for him. His height may have been a “win” yesterday because people expected him to be shorter but he’s still small. Haskins fits into more teams and that’s why I think he has a better chance to go first. Also has fewer question marks. I still think both need to redshirt a year, preferably. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

So he likes the short guys?

I have no idea who will be better but Haskins and Murray are so different stylistically it’s more 1a and 1b. Whoever takes Murray either needs to be set up to scheme for him or be willing to design their offense for him. His height may have been a “win” yesterday because people expected him to be shorter but he’s still small. Haskins fits into more teams and that’s why I think he has a better chance to go first. Also has a very few question marks outside of experience. I still think both need to redshirt a year, preferably. 

What do you think will happen? I really think AZ takes Murray, but I've been wrong a lot ...

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

True.  If McCloughan wasn't a world class drunk he'd still be a GM somewhere.