Speculation on Golic and Wingo that Rosen could be traded

3 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Is he as good a baseball prospect as football?  MLB money would be really hard to walk away from, guaranteed contracts and all.

Comparing apples to apples, MLB contracts for top-end draftees are significantly smaller than they are for top-end NFL draftees:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/07/browns_baker_mayfield_signs_hi.html

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018-mlb-draft-tigers-sign-no-1-pick-casey-mize-to-record-7-5-million-bonus/

2 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

It's one thing to make a hypothetical statement about the#1 pick in the draft while you coach the Red Raiders of Texas Tech. It is another thing to actually pull the trigger.

Also, Steve Keim is still the GM and he drafted Rosen.

I understand that and you could be right.  However, the Cards brought in Kingsbury in for a specific reason.  I would think that the guy they are putting all their faith in, he would be given a lot say on who is under center.  If Kingsbury really and truly believes in Murray....I definitely think it'll be under strong consideration.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A few thoughts related to this thread:

• Just because Murray declares for the draft doesn't mean he is going to play football.  It means he's going to test the waters, see who picks him, where he gets picked (and thus how much guaranteed money he would get) and then he would decide whether to play.

• Just because Mayfield has been pretty successful in the NFL so far, it doesn't mean that Murray will be successful.  They are two different people and two different players.  Murray is also much smaller.  I don't see him being successful as an NFL QB, but like everyone else's, my opinion is just speculation.  Nobody knows how it might turn out.

• Just because Kingsbury said "I would take him #1 overall" doesn't mean that the Cardinals will.  It was just a one-off comment and he was making the point that he thinks that Murray is talented enough to be drafted at the top of the draft.  It also doesn't cost him anything to be complimentary of a talented kid who just won the Heisman trophy.  The sports media is just making news out of a sound bite.

• Kingsbury was a terrible hire who is already in over his head.  He was fired because he couldn't win at Texas Tech, where he had Patrick Mahomes as his QB.  How does this translate to success in the NFL?  The Cardinals are reverting back to their old ways of dysfunction and foolishness.  I'm hoping the Bills have moved on from that.

• Rosen is still an unknown commodity.  The Cardinals offensive line was beyond terrible this season, MUCH worse than the Bills.  Aaron Rodgers would not have been successful with that line.  Also, his only quality receiver, Larry Fitzgerald, is well beyond his prime and the Cardinals coaching staff was sub par.  I live in Arizona and people are not clamoring to move on from Rosen.

• I'm glad I am a Bills fan and not a Cardinals fan.
Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Is he as good a baseball prospect as football?  MLB money would be really hard to walk away from, guaranteed contracts and all.

The difference is that big money is 6-7 years off for Murray in baseball and far from a guaranteed thing.  If he is gonna get drafted in the first few picks in NFL draft, football is a no brainer from a financial perspective.  He’d be choosing $4.6m guaranteed in baseball versus $20+million guaranteed in football and as a QB, his earning power is just as great in football as baseball long term.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe they draft him and keep both and let them battle it out? College like ... their coach is used to that 

Or they spend their picks on upgrading the oline, like they should. Who can play QB behind that garbage?

24 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The difference is that big money is 6-7 years off for Murray in baseball and far from a guaranteed thing.  If he is gonna get drafted in the first few picks in NFL draft, football is a no brainer from a financial perspective.  He’d be choosing $4.6m guaranteed in baseball versus $20+million guaranteed in football and as a QB, his earning power is just as great in football as baseball long term.  

I don't think Murray actually has the luxury of choosing football over baseball based on financial benefit.  He has to commit to playing in the NFL well before the draft to have any chance of being drafted in the first round, much less at the top of the draft.    No NFL team is going to waste a first rounder on a kid who just might walk away if he doesn't like where he lands in the draft.