Gregg Williams to Jets as DC

YoloinOhio

Just now, Captain Murica said:

They’re going to be bad on defense next year unless they overhaul a majority of their defensive roster. 

We all know changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 went here. They’re going from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and I have seen people even question if Adams will even fit in Williams’s scheme. 

Plus, the browns had more talent than the jets and they were not good on defense. 

fp2mv8.jpg

Adams fits,  but he needs to use him right. He’s ultra stubborn on his scheme, Rex-like

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Adams fits,  but he needs to use him right. He’s ultra stubborn on his scheme, Rex-like

I figured since we would have most likely take him if he fell down to us. But, I was kind of hoping the Jets would do something stupid like trade their best player on defense because he didn’t fit what they were doing ?

I wouldn’t put it pass gase for wanting to get rid of some of his best players. 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, The Bills Blog said:

Jets are scary, folks.

Come on. This is New England’s division and has been for 20 years. All the other teams are the Washington Generals until proven otherwise. All focus should be on doing what it takes to beat New England. Forget the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Meh. Williams's defenses are historically mediocre overall (and the numbers show this). If he has really good talent, they'll be ok, but if they have too many weak spots, they'll be shredded. At this point, he's about as average-generic a DC as the league has.

It’s odd because he has a reputation for being a good Dc and from what I recall he was with the Rams, for the most part. But he was terrible with the Browns. I think his reputation skyrocketed this year after he became interim HC and the team was so much better overall. But last year he couldn’t stop the pass (it was a historically bad pass D) and this year they improved there (also added talent across the secondary) and sucked vs the run. I think he just keeps getting recycled because of his experience. And Gase doesn’t want anything to do with the defense (his words were he wanted to hire a “HC of the Defense”), for which that type of role is techically a good fit for a guy like that who wants the control and has done it before. I don’t know what to expect from the jets really, but scheme wise both coaches were at the bottom of the league respectively with their former teams in their areas of expertise, and i don’t think the jets have more talent than either one as it stands right now. That could change in FA but as I have mentioned, not every player is going to to jump to play for either one of these cats. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s odd because he has a reputation for being a good Dc and from what I recall he was with the Rams, for the most part. But he was terrible with the Browns. I think his reputation skyrocketed this year after he became interim HC and the team was so much better overall. But last year he couldn’t stop the pass (it was a historically bad pass D) and this year they improved there (also added talent across the secondary) and sucked vs the run. I think he just keeps getting recycled because of his experience. And Gase doesn’t want anything to do with the defense (his words were he wanted to hire a “HC of the Defense”), for which that type of role is techically a good fit for a guy like that who wants the control and has done it before. I don’t know what to expect from the jets really, but scheme wise both coaches were at the bottom of the league respectively with their former teams in their areas of expertise, and i don’t think the jets have more talent than either one as it stands right now. That could change in FA but as I have mentioned, not every player is going to to jump to play for either one of these cats. 

Agreed. 

How long does Gase get before they fire him and move onto Greggo? Week 10 next year?

I don't think being told who your DC is going to be instills a lot of confidence into a new HC, just my IMO. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:56 AM, YoloinOhio said:

His defense was ranked 30th this year! The Browns are hiring Steve Wilkes as DC and that’s a big upgrade imo

They were 13th in terms of both points and yards allowed on a per drive basis. #9 in yards allowed and #27 in points allowed on a per drive basis the year before. They were #30 and #31 respectively the year before Gregg arrived.

The same Greggggg Williams that decided the best use of Jabril Peppers would be to play him 30 yards deep as a single-high safety every play and has so far ruined his career?

The same Greggggg Williams who coached the Browns to the 21st ranked scoring defense and 30th ranked yards-allowed defense?

Cool. Good luck, Jersey!

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They were 13th in terms of both points and yards allowed on a per drive basis. #9 in yards allowed and #27 in points allowed on a per drive basis the year before. They were #30 and #31 respectively the year before Gregg arrived.

That’s great about the per drive stuff but he had much more talent to work with, especially this year, than the bare bones tank team that preceded him. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s great about the per drive stuff but he had much more talent to work with, especially this year, than the bare bones tank team that preceded him. 

I agree. And to be clear, I don't think he's a great DC. I just don't think saying that they were the 30th ranked defense this year is really accurate; they were probably roughly average or maybe slightly above and I think that's more or less where they should have been with their personnel. If the Jets can bring in talent, Gregg can at least get them playing at a solid enough level IMO. He's just a decent coach IMO.

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I agree. And to be clear, I don't think he's a great DC. I just don't think saying that they were the 30th ranked defense this year is really accurate; they were probably roughly average or maybe slightly above and I think that's more or less where they should have been with their personnel. If the Jets can bring in talent, Gregg can at least get them playing at a solid enough level IMO. He's just a decent coach IMO.

I actually thought they were a little better than that after watching them but the ranking kind of surprised me. They had a ton of turnovers this year which I think made them look better. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually thought they were a little better than that after watching them but the ranking kind of surprised me. They had a ton of turnovers this year which I think made them look better. 

Kinda crazy but I think they were dead last in TOs the year before and #1 or #2 this year

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Kinda crazy but I think they were dead last in TOs the year before and #1 or #2 this year

Yes - it was 180 degrees. They really have a lot of talent on that D. 

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Their biggest issue is going to find 4-3 defensive ends. They don't really have any on the roster. But the rest of their personnel, Williamson, Williams, Lee, Adams etc fit nicely 

They draft 3rd (I think)... Bosa could be in play?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Greggo's defense is designed to bully weak offenses and rookie QBs.  Against feeble opponents, they look amazing.  Against anyone else, they are very vulnerable.  My lasting memory of Greggo was him slamming his clipboard on the ground as the Patriots ran yet another successful misdirection screen pass for a huge gain against him, circa 2002.  Pretty sure it was Kevin Faulk.

EDIT: yup here it is:

https://www.upi.com/New-England-38-Buffalo-7/61961036371084/

"Running back Kevin Faulk turned a screen pass into a 45-yard scoring play with 7:33 left in the third quarter to increase New England's lead to 24-7."

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Sad 1