Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

Recommended Posts

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

might as well set up his Bills locker right now

 

100% he will be here as the "Kyle replacement" on D.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

 

He still looked pretty good to me in 2018. You could do a lot worse for a veteran depth guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, Boyst62 said:

Wish he was younger, for sure but he's been a yuge part of keuchlys success. 

 

So what's your take?  Tiger in the Tank still, or "Carolina North" nepotism signing if they take him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

So what's your take?  Tiger in the Tank still, or "Carolina North" nepotism signing if they take him?

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

 

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

 

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

why not both?

 

 

...interesting thought....one year deals each and see who stays in 2020......if only one decides to retire, you still have a performing (hopefully) vet presence to nuture the youngsters and provide leadership....of course, if BOTH retire, scrap THAT idea...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...interesting thought....one year deals each and see who stays in 2020......if only one decides to retire, you still have a performing (hopefully) vet presence to nuture the youngsters and provide leadership....of course, if BOTH retire, scrap THAT idea...........

It's only money.

 Terry can always just print more Pegula Bucks if need be , right ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It's only money.

 Terry can always just print more Pegula Bucks if need be , right ?

 

...as Terry says in West Virginia, "what the frack"?........dig another well.....you cannot imagine how much he despises Guido Cuomo and his ban......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

 

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

Barnett was 30/31 when the Bills signed him.

Davis will be 36.5 years old by the time the season starts. That’s ancient for a backer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

 

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

 

OK, so just for a different perspective.... the old Stillers "linebacker U" motto was always to draft LB on the 2nd or 3rd day, and expect them to take a year or two to come up to "NFL speed" and understanding.  So from that perspective, bringing in another vet (if he can still play) while you groom a draft pick under him is a sensible plan, with or without Zo.

 

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

 

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

 

I liked Barnett.  I know we kept him at least a year too long and played him out of position his last year starting.

 

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

might as well set up his Bills locker right now

100% he will be here as the "Kyle replacement" on D.

 

Better not be...you don't replace a DT with an aged LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, LSHMEAB said:

No thank you. Davis had a nice career, but he's 36!!!! I'd much rather use that roster spot on a young player. We already have Lorax in the front 7 to serve as a "mentor."

Bills have plenty of young players starting... he could come in as backup. Unless they plan on drafting one he would be a great grab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Barnett was 30/31 when the Bills signed him.

Davis will be 36.5 years old by the time the season starts. That’s ancient for a backer. 

Davis is better than Barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know multiple people have said this but I just don’t see how he doesn’t end up here if he leaves Carolina. Just makes too much sense. Personally i would like the move. Seems like part of the process to me. Need some more leadership with Kyle retiring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Barnett was 30/31 when the Bills signed him.

Davis will be 36.5 years old by the time the season starts. That’s ancient for a backer. 

If he can take a salary and role of package playerand limit his downs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

If he can take a salary and role of package playerand limit his downs ?

Asking two LBs to do that limits depth and limits the chance of a younger guy taking those snaps and filling a role going forward. One is fine, two at the same position seems like overkill. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

OK, so just for a different perspective.... the old Stillers "linebacker U" motto was always to draft LB on the 2nd or 3rd day, and expect them to take a year or two to come up to "NFL speed" and understanding.  So from that perspective, bringing in another vet (if he can still play) while you groom a draft pick under him is a sensible plan, with or without Zo.

 

 

I liked Barnett.  I know we kept him at least a year too long and played him out of position his last year starting.

 

 

Better not be...you don't replace a DT with an aged LB

Good post and good sense of humor
Obviously Bills need to find youth at and any and all positions. Picking up a Vet is not exclusive to that mind set.
More solid wisdom in the room helps the youth. kinda go hand in hand ?

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Asking two LBs to do that limits depth and limits the chance of a younger guy taking those snaps and filling a role going forward. One is fine, two at the same position seems like overkill. 

 

 

I understand your perspective. But what young player would not want an on the field mentor to eventually take over for ?

If the Man can play football ? and he has shown he can you at least talk to him.
in one or two years the Young blood is better prepared and experienced to take the role.

and then the cycle repeats

 

in theory of course  : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

 

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

If you look at the Bills website and Twitter , Lorax is all over it since the season ended. Just another small hint that he's a lock to be back . Him and McD seem to have a great relationship,ton of mutual respect and he's still playing at a very high level.. He's a lock imo , no brainer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, NewEraBills said:

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

Let's assume that Davis is exactly as you've curtly summarized here, despite other analysis off the board saying he's performed well for his age comparably in the league - would you say Davis next year would be worse than either Stanford or Thompson? Mind you, signing Davis doesn't mean we still pass up on Josh Allen in the draft, if he's there at 9 - or any other LB/outside pass rusher if they become BPA.

 

I just don't see the clear cut, black and white savings that could be used elsewhere if we offer Davis something like a one-year 2.5 - 4 mil deal? We have the cap to accommodate this kind of contract for a year; it would immediately upgrade our depth at the position (something that was clearly exposed when both Tre and MIlano went down this season); adds veteran leadership to the defense after Kyle's departure (won't truly replace Kyle, but will be an added voice); and perhaps most importantly, has played in McD's scheme and knows what it is that is expected of Tre and Milano. If you also want to see Tre develop in this system, you should also want him to have this added bonus.

 

It shouldn't be a priority signing , but there's very little argument for not making this move for the right price.

Edited by ctk232

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, Aussie Joe said:

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

 

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

21 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I agree 100 %

 

i forget.

 did i mention?

 Why not both? we have ten picks and Beane likes to move up and down the boards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

i forget.

 did i mention?

 Why not both? we have ten picks and Beane likes to move up and down the boards

Sorry - the multiquote confuses me a bit here...not sure where on this thread I actually said "I agree 100%" at all, or potentially in response to Aussie Joe? I could be entirely off-base with how I'm reading that, but just not sure where that might be from...

 

Either way - picking up Davis at the right price doesn't do much to hurt our cap situation or overall defensive talent. If we want to draft LB in the later rounds, I'd rather prefer Burr-Kirven to use in our big nickel package on day 3, but not wholly sure of the LB depth projected for the later rounds or the potential to address other positions in later rounds as well (RB, DB, depth and ST, etc.).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, Aussie Joe said:

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

 

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

 

Bingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...