Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

On 1/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, NewEraBills said:

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

Lorax had argueably his best season this last year

I dont look at age...I look at production.  Davis going to a defense that fits him (as long as he isnt costing a ton) could actually keep his career going a little longer.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Lorax had argueably his best season this last year

I dont look at age...I look at production.  Davis going to a defense that fits him (as long as he isnt costing a ton) could actually keep his career going a little longer.

I really like the idea of Davis playing with Edmunds, having played all those years next to Keuchly.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Possible but there’s still, Murphy, Lawson, Hughes and a possible high draft pick coming.  

I honestly would not do that....not with a top 10 defense already......and Lorax is a very good pass rusher and has shown that.  

Unless they part ways with Murphy...which has been suggested

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really like the idea of Davis playing with Edmunds, having played all those years next to Keuchly.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm sure as a depth player he could contribute a heck of a lot more then going after Percy Harvin twice. You gotta do your homework on these veteran signings. Lorax worked out great.

Another coach on the field, more flexability and instant depth, sign me up!

Edited by P51
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And we send Milano to the bench then?  He was arguably our best LB last year and doesn't Davis plays Milano's position?

Any interest in Davis will likely be based on Milano prognosis / timeline for recovery from break.

Edited by freddyjj

3 hours ago, P51 said:

Another coach on the field, more flexability and instant depth, sign me up!

Precisely - especially for the right price. For all this talk about how much of a need coaching is for Allen, and despite Tre being the youngest player and starter in the NFL, why not give him all the help possible?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why doesn't Carolina want him anymore? That's my question.

The average age of that team is among the highest in the league. Rivera under pressure to not always play his vets. New owner. Shaq Thompson first round pick 4 years ago has never been more than rotational because he couldn’t get past TD. It’s a find out year for him.

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Precisely - especially for the right price. For all this talk about how much of a need coaching is for Allen, and despite Tre being the youngest player and starter in the NFL, why not give him all the help possible?

Depends on the price tag 

3 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

The average age of that team is among the highest in the league. Rivera under pressure to not always play his vets. New owner. Shaq Thompson first round pick 4 years ago has never been more than rotational because he couldn’t get past TD. It’s a find out year for him.

Fair enough. I'm still not interested in a 35 year old linebacker who plays the same spot as Matt Milano, arguably the Bills best defender. Rather use the spot on a younger guy who can play special teams. If it weren't for Lorax, it would make more sense. He already serves the role as veteran "mentor."

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

And also because Thomas Davis is less good at playing football than he used to be. There's that, too. We're talking about a 35-year old linebacker who has had 3 ACL tears. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

He’d be a good signing for Buffalo; I doubt he would be expensive. But I also doubt he would choose to be a rotational player. Who knows though.

I agree that he'd be a good signing at the right price. He already knows the playbook, could provide depth, add a few interesting defensive sub-packages, and mentor our young linebacker duo. I would think that McDermott's presence as head coach would make Buffalo one of his top choices as far as places to finish his career. Just the leadership he could provide and knowledge he could impart to Edmunds and Milano ALONE would be worth the signing, even if he rarely sees the field. 

All of this, of course, is contingent upon him not wanting a ton of money. Paying a bunch for a 35-year-old with bad knees is never sound roster building strategy.