Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that he'd be a good signing at the right price. He already knows the playbook, could provide depth, add a few interesting defensive sub-packages, and mentor our young linebacker duo. I would think that McDermott's presence as head coach would make Buffalo one of his top choices as far as places to finish his career. Just the leadership he could provide and knowledge he could impart to Edmunds and Milano ALONE would be worth the signing, even if he rarely sees the field. 

All of this, of course, is contingent upon him not wanting a ton of money. Paying a bunch for a 35-year-old with bad knees is never sound roster building strategy.

I don’t figure money to be the problem-but he will want to play. He’s not a liability, but just because he’s an expanther we shouldn’t assume he will arrive at OBD. He might be a better fit in a few other places.

23 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

He’d be a good signing for Buffalo; I doubt he would be expensive. But I also doubt he would choose to be a rotational player. Who knows though.

Being a rotational player might extend his career though......

I honestly would like to see him get Lorax reps and have Lorax turn back more into rushing the passer.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, freddyjj said:

And we send Milano to the bench then?  He was arguably our best LB last year and doesn't Davis plays Milano's position?

Any interest in Davis will likely be based on Milano prognosis / timeline for recovery from break.

packages

bringing in Davis allows flexibility. He is not either Edmunds nor Milano.
  maybe they keep Stanford ? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm still not interested in a 35 year old linebacker who plays the same spot as Matt Milano,

He's played all 3 LB positions. He wouldn't be a full time starter, he would be a versatile rotational player who brings more leadership to the locker room. When Milano went down his backups were terrible, same with Edmunds for the one game he missed. Davis immediately improves our depth this year and he already knows McDermott's system. His age just means we would get him for cheap.

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

If it weren't for Lorax, it would make more sense. He already serves the role as veteran "mentor."

This I definitely don't agree with. There is only room for one veteran mentor on the team? More leadership is always a good thing. Davis has actually played MLB and could teach Edmunds a lot. I would absolutely love this signing.

• Like (+1) 3

He’s a good football player still. He knows the system and has McDermott ‘s respect. He can mentor our young LB’s. Nothing against Lorax he has had excellent years in Buffalo and is a A+ representative of how a professional should act. But Thomas Davis has had a much better career as a NFL Linebacker and can pass the torch of knowledge to our young guys. Love to have Davis and Alexander. Two class acts!!!

I do expect Da Bills to sign Davis at some point. Fit is too perfect for it not to happen. That said, it is not a priority right now. Let us focus on the linemen (O and D) and WR and TE positions first. Let us see first how many dollars it takes to get those filled before getting to LBs.

13 minutes ago, JD Hill said:

He’s a good football player still. He knows the system and has McDermott ‘s respect. He can mentor our young LB’s. Nothing against Lorax he has had excellent years in Buffalo and is a A+ representative of how a professional should act. But Thomas Davis has had a much better career as a NFL Linebacker and can pass the torch of knowledge to our young guys. Love to have Davis and Alexander. Two class acts!!!

It makes sense from that perspective, but my concern is special teams. Looks like we will carry 3 QB's so that leaves less space and it doesn't seem like we even have a good core of ST'ers at this point. It's a tradeoff and in the end if Davis wants to be here it has a chance, just puts more pressure on the new ST coach.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He's played all 3 LB positions. He wouldn't be a full time starter, he would be a versatile rotational player who brings more leadership to the locker room. When Milano went down his backups were terrible, same with Edmunds for the one game he missed. Davis immediately improves our depth this year and he already knows McDermott's system. His age just means we would get him for cheap.

This I definitely don't agree with. There is only room for one veteran mentor on the team? More leadership is always a good thing. Davis has actually played MLB and could teach Edmunds a lot. I would absolutely love this signing.

OK. Let's get a bunch of 35 year old mentors. Great resources.

4 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It makes sense from that perspective, but my concern is special teams. Looks like we will carry 3 QB's so that leaves less space and it doesn't seem like we even have a good core of ST'ers at this point. It's a tradeoff and in the end if Davis wants to be here it has a chance, just puts more pressure on the new ST coach.

I can see them moving D Anderson off the Roster and into and assistant position. Pick up another QB for PS. and Roster two QBs

Davis is 30 i thought ??

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That can still play.....your too focused on the age.  If they are producing they are still producing

and Davis is a beast. not your average bear. Even with some predicted drop off. he still can ball

let it happen : )