Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

why not both?

...interesting thought....one year deals each and see who stays in 2020......if only one decides to retire, you still have a performing (hopefully) vet presence to nuture the youngsters and provide leadership....of course, if BOTH retire, scrap THAT idea...........

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting thought....one year deals each and see who stays in 2020......if only one decides to retire, you still have a performing (hopefully) vet presence to nuture the youngsters and provide leadership....of course, if BOTH retire, scrap THAT idea...........

It's only money.

Terry can always just print more Pegula Bucks if need be , right ?

Edited by 3rdand12

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It's only money.

Terry can always just print more Pegula Bucks if need be , right ?

...as Terry says in West Virginia, "what the frack"?........dig another well.....you cannot imagine how much he despises Guido Cuomo and his ban......

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

Barnett was 30/31 when the Bills signed him.

Davis will be 36.5 years old by the time the season starts. That’s ancient for a backer. 

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If they bring back Lorenzo, don’t really see the need in terms of veteran guy..

Draft a LB with potential instead on Day 3 ..

OK, so just for a different perspective.... the old Stillers "linebacker U" motto was always to draft LB on the 2nd or 3rd day, and expect them to take a year or two to come up to "NFL speed" and understanding.  So from that perspective, bringing in another vet (if he can still play) while you groom a draft pick under him is a sensible plan, with or without Zo.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

I liked Barnett.  I know we kept him at least a year too long and played him out of position his last year starting.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

might as well set up his Bills locker right now

100% he will be here as the "Kyle replacement" on D.

Better not be...you don't replace a DT with an aged LB

On 1/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, LSHMEAB said:

No thank you. Davis had a nice career, but he's 36!!!! I'd much rather use that roster spot on a young player. We already have Lorax in the front 7 to serve as a "mentor."

Bills have plenty of young players starting... he could come in as backup. Unless they plan on drafting one he would be a great grab.

20 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Barnett was 30/31 when the Bills signed him.

Davis will be 36.5 years old by the time the season starts. That’s ancient for a backer. 

If he can take a salary and role of package playerand limit his downs ?

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

If he can take a salary and role of package playerand limit his downs ?

Asking two LBs to do that limits depth and limits the chance of a younger guy taking those snaps and filling a role going forward. One is fine, two at the same position seems like overkill. 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so just for a different perspective.... the old Stillers "linebacker U" motto was always to draft LB on the 2nd or 3rd day, and expect them to take a year or two to come up to "NFL speed" and understanding.  So from that perspective, bringing in another vet (if he can still play) while you groom a draft pick under him is a sensible plan, with or without Zo.

I liked Barnett.  I know we kept him at least a year too long and played him out of position his last year starting.

Better not be...you don't replace a DT with an aged LB

Good post and good sense of humor
Obviously Bills need to find youth at and any and all positions. Picking up a Vet is not exclusive to that mind set.
More solid wisdom in the room helps the youth. kinda go hand in hand ?

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Asking two LBs to do that limits depth and limits the chance of a younger guy taking those snaps and filling a role going forward. One is fine, two at the same position seems like overkill. 

I understand your perspective. But what young player would not want an on the field mentor to eventually take over for ?

If the Man can play football ? and he has shown he can you at least talk to him.
in one or two years the Young blood is better prepared and experienced to take the role.

and then the cycle repeats

in theory of course  : )

22 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If you look at the Bills website and Twitter , Lorax is all over it since the season ended. Just another small hint that he's a lock to be back . Him and McD seem to have a great relationship,ton of mutual respect and he's still playing at a very high level.. He's a lock imo , no brainer 

On 1/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, NewEraBills said:

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

Let's assume that Davis is exactly as you've curtly summarized here, despite other analysis off the board saying he's performed well for his age comparably in the league - would you say Davis next year would be worse than either Stanford or Thompson? Mind you, signing Davis doesn't mean we still pass up on Josh Allen in the draft, if he's there at 9 - or any other LB/outside pass rusher if they become BPA.

I just don't see the clear cut, black and white savings that could be used elsewhere if we offer Davis something like a one-year 2.5 - 4 mil deal? We have the cap to accommodate this kind of contract for a year; it would immediately upgrade our depth at the position (something that was clearly exposed when both Tre and MIlano went down this season); adds veteran leadership to the defense after Kyle's departure (won't truly replace Kyle, but will be an added voice); and perhaps most importantly, has played in McD's scheme and knows what it is that is expected of Tre and Milano. If you also want to see Tre develop in this system, you should also want him to have this added bonus.

It shouldn't be a priority signing , but there's very little argument for not making this move for the right price.

Edited by ctk232

On 1/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, Aussie Joe said:

21 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I agree 100 %

i forget.

did i mention?

Why not both? we have ten picks and Beane likes to move up and down the boards

32 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

i forget.

did i mention?

Why not both? we have ten picks and Beane likes to move up and down the boards

Sorry - the multiquote confuses me a bit here...not sure where on this thread I actually said "I agree 100%" at all, or potentially in response to Aussie Joe? I could be entirely off-base with how I'm reading that, but just not sure where that might be from...

Either way - picking up Davis at the right price doesn't do much to hurt our cap situation or overall defensive talent. If we want to draft LB in the later rounds, I'd rather prefer Burr-Kirven to use in our big nickel package on day 3, but not wholly sure of the LB depth projected for the later rounds or the potential to address other positions in later rounds as well (RB, DB, depth and ST, etc.).